1970 Triumph Tiger 650

Of course it's gimmicky... But I own a CNC milling machine... Won't cost me more than the bar stock to make. Looks like a part I can do something really custom cool with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Details, details, it's all in the details.
My new grip was too short for the existing throttle tube, so I had to machine 3/8" off the tube. Also the tube being raw aluminum and the grip being transparent threw the color shade off from the other side so I had to powder coat it black to match.

Before:

After:

I couldn't find any spacers locally so I cranked up the bench top lathe and made the spacers to locate the caliper brackets on the lower legs. They are now ready to weld to the lower legs.

Got the brake caliper brackets and the brake stay bracket welded on today. Bolted everything up and with brake pads in and both sides rotate freely. Glad that is all done because now I can move forward with a good bit of assembly.

Nice bit of TIG welding should do it:

Almost looks factory:

Everything rotates freely with pads installed:

Tomorrow I start with the bare frame and the forks and go from there with full assembly.

Got the Black motor back in the frame and will proceed with the reassembly. Found out you can install a complete motor in the frame with rocker boxes on, but you have to remove 2 of the center head bolts. I had to drill out the Hinkley clutch perch and narrow the barrel on the cable to accept the earlier clutch cable barrel.

Had all the parts laying around needed to fab up the front upper brake line. I may slide a piece of shrink wrap over it to keep it from chaffing the headlight bracket.

Found a tidy spot behind the side cover for the rear brake reservoir. Need to move it up an inch to clear the chain guard. Sprocket doesn't look so massive with the chain guard on.

Might hit the tank with some paint tomorrow.

Love the color! I'm painting my twin almost the same. I added a tiny bit more green to the mix so its a bit more lime colored. What color primer did you use?

doc_rot said:
Love the color! I'm painting my twin almost the same. I added a tiny bit more green to the mix so its a bit more lime colored. What color primer did you use?
I used a gray primer. The color is late model Chrysler Jeep Rescue Green.

I picked up the same rescue green in PPG Deltron 2000, but I'm going over black primer. I ended up wanting it a bit more green so I added a little more green toner.

doc_rot said:
I picked up the same rescue green in PPG Deltron 2000, but I'm going over black primer. I ended up wanting it a bit more green so I added a little more green toner.
I'd be interested in seeing your color. I liked that this color has a metallic red in it that pops in the sunlight. Mine was done in rattle can. It's pretty good,but I will have it professionally painted once it is running and all sorted.

The metalics really pop in this. I saw this Mustang but the color I got was much more gold in the match I got so I added the green. This is the test I sprayed of the old color, hopefully I will get the bike painted this weekend.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    272.9 KB · Views: 257
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 259
Your headlight bucket looks pretty close to mine. The Mustang is too green for my liking, though looks good on the Stang.

Wow, my rear banjo brake light switch arrived today. Ordered on the 11th and only 4 days from China.

This is about as neat, tidy, and unobtrusive as I could have asked for in this application.

Now lets see how long it takes the brake lines to get here from China also, ordered the same day.

Well I lucked out again. I was looking for another part in my stash and came upon this vintage Tommasselli 1/4 turn throttle. I don't particularly like the looks of the body compared to the stock unit, but I'm seeking function more so than form at this point. I've dealt with 1/2 and more throttles and they are not good for the wrist.

Back
Top Bottom