79 XS1100 Cafe/Mod Bike.

NoHonestlyitsme

Build it and they will love
Posted a few times over the last couple of years, finally happy with it.

_MG_8000.jpg

_MG_8033.jpg

_MG_80931.jpg

_MG_8140.jpg

Just a few

It looks good, but I'm surprised you went with the special tank over the standard. Design choice, or a "Run what ya brung" thing?

I have 2 standard tanks in my Barn, The special tank is much smaller and what I prefer overall. I got the tank on the bike from a parts Midnight Special and the rear mount tab was cut off. I made and offset bracket that raised the special tank up over 2" and made it more horizontal across the bottom with the seat. IMO of the two options from the factory, I prefer this one

NoHonestlyitsme said:
I have 2 standard tanks in my Barn, The special tank is much smaller and what I prefer overall. I got the tank on the bike from a parts Midnight Special and the rear mount tab was cut off. I made and offset bracket that raised the special tank up over 2" and made it more horizontal across the bottom with the seat. IMO of the two options from the factory, I prefer this one

It's cool. I like it too, it's just that most who go for a cafe style go with the standard tank. I have the standard tank mostly because it's A) what my bike came with. and B) higher capacity.

I like what you've done, but more importantly, you like it.

Ride on!

I have to ask... and I know it's one of those things that sends red flags up all over the place here, but

Personally, how do you like the handling with it slammed like that? I've seen all the arguments for and against (rake changed, designers knew what worked, handling slow vs fast, etc) so I hope I don't start all that up in here. I really just want to know what you think, since you're the one riding it. Do you feel you can still corner at speed safely, has it affected anything noticeably, etc?

I love the look, and have considered dropping my bike a bit.

It definitely changes a lot of things. I my case, It would wobble enough to notice when tracking straight just where the trail is so extreme. I Have the factory Fork brace and it substantially reduced any movement. I corner harder on this than I did on my Buell because my riding has gotten much better. Overall, Its different. I have spent 2 years dialing it in to get it where i'm happy with the ride. It all depends on the bike really. I literally ride this bike every day I have no problems.

Any XS11, even if it's not slammed, benefits from a fork brace. It's a big heavy bike, and the stock forks are a bit weedy. My forkbrace transformed my bike.

I love it! I'm eyeballing an xs11 special on CL right now... I agree with Fix on the fork brace. It was one of the first things I did on my 850 special. Add stainless brake lines and progressive fork springs and it handles fairly well.

XS11 is a great bike to mod, they are everywhere, no one wants them cause they are "Too Big" which I always take as "This Bike is out of my ability" ha

Plus there's a ton of good advice out there on boards like XS11.com They're not much into mods, more of a resto crowd, but they do know these bikes. Plus they're great with helping diagnose issues.

Fix said:
I have the standard tank mostly because it's A) what my bike came with. and B) higher capacity.

This comes in handy when you need to act as mobile refueler for those who make poor design choices.

:)

Back
Top Bottom