Caramel sauce colored oil??

Maritime

Over 10,000 Posts
OK, So I am going to sell the 450, and of course it decides to start acting funny. I had to repair the headlight, got that sorted, fired it up and it started sounding a bit funny, so I checked the oil to make sure it wasn't low. Well, it was the right level but was weird color, like caramel sauce, not clear, but milky brown? What would cause this on an air cooled bike? I would say head gasket on a water cooled bike? I changed out the oil, and tried to start it again and it won't even fire now? I pulled the valve cover to check valves and cam and it looks ok except for the funny oil color. I am going to set valves and replace plugs as they are really old and worn. Any Ideas on what would make the oil like that?

Thanks

Maritime

White ish oil is water.

Change oil do a compression test to test the gasket and rings.

Sent from my Nexus One

Yes, My thoughts but wondering where the water would have come from? I have ridden in the rain but for water to get in, oil would come out of the same place and the bike doesn't leak at the moment? perplexed as hell. Now I di ride the crap out of it and put it away and then it dropped below freezing so I wonder if there was condensation? But it would have to have been a hell of a lot.

joevirus563 said:
White ish oil is water.

Change oil do a compression test to test the gasket and rings.

Sent from my Nexus One

Thanks Joe, My only thought is where the water is coming from??

Well Mike, being that it's air cooled I don't think you have too much to worry about it. Either condensation, breather tube is pointed upwards, or your neighbors are jerks.......

I would change the oil, take it for a nice ride and sell it. :D

Well that is the plan. Going to set the valves (needed it anyway) change the plugs and take her for a rip and i have a guy coming Fiday this week to see it. I should have it all buttoned up for him and hope he takes it. I want to make babers. I have the time booked off, babysitter for my son, now i just need some cash and I am good to go.

Water vapor is a by-product of combustion. Oil can get contaminated with moisture from being run short distances that don't let the oil get hot enough to drive off the moisture. That's why it's a bad idea to go start up a bike once in a while during the winter. It may do your spirit good to hear the engine for a couple minutes once in a while, but it is awful for the engine.

If it is ridden long enough to come up to full temperature, like 10-20 miles, the moisture will be driven off.

I smelled it but couldn't tell. I did leave the petcock on last time I parked it by mistake, I don't usually leave it on. May be what happened? Got new oil in her now and will report back after I get the valbes done and plugs in etc. I hop eshe fires back up and runs ok. Seems everytime I try to sell her, she goes to crap on me!

AlphaDogChoppers said:
Water vapor is a by-product of combustion. Oil can get contaminated with moisture from being run short distances that don't let the oil get hot enough to drive off the moisture. That's why it's a bad idea to go start up a bike once in a while during the winter. It may do your spirit good to hear the engine for a couple minutes once in a while, but it is awful for the engine.

If it is ridden long enough to come up to full temperature, like 10-20 miles, the moisture will be driven off.

This could be possible too as I let the guy test drive it around the block then parked it for the night. I usually ride it to work and it gets a good 20 mins running stop and go and gets to full temp no problem.

20 minutes is a pretty short ride. It may not be enough to get the oil up to full temperature. It takes longer for the oil to get hot than it does for the engine to get up to temp.

Very true, especially when the mrongins are just above freezing now. I will take her for a good hour rip after all the tune up is done to make sure. I'll put the 2 up seat on and take my son, one last ride on the little bike before she is sold!

Just one short ride wouldnt be enuff to build condensation that would turn your oil milky. Storing it outdoors and short rides will definetly make it condensate more. checked your case tube for a blockage?

joea said:
does it taste like carmel? joe

Not sure ;D

Update: I changed out the oil, it was still a bit milky because there was still milky oil in the head etc. but after a good long ride and bike up to tempurature the oil looks normal again. my guess was condensation from a short ride hot day then below freezing night.

Back
Top Bottom