cb350 to cafe' from scratch by a teen

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I got a little side project. It's a 1988 Piaggio Si moped I'm restoring. It's supposed to be a quick fix. Planning on painting it black with a light brown leather seat and bring back the chrome to all the little shiny parts.
43ad3cdd6f1b9c207ca8613877591edb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On plug thread repairs I use a time sert instead of a helicoil as it is a lot more durable and permenant fix. Helicoil inserts are not retained like a time sert so over time, with repeated removal and replacement of the plug, the helicoil insert can protrude into the cylinder and break off causing catastrophic engine damage. The time sert is a solid insert and is a much better application than a standard helicoil in this instance.

Here is a link to some sealey inserts which are the same as time serts.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Product.do?method=view&n=6116&p=571748&d=124&c=4&l=2&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Thread%20Cutting%20&%20Repair&gclid=CPiiq_PsvNICFQMo0wodySsOqg

I've done literally thousands of helicoils without any problems. The only time I've found the issue you describe was when it wasn't fitted properly in the first place. In Europe, you used to fit copper plated timeserts into alloy heads and the 'black' steel ones in cast iron. One thing I don't like about Timesert in spark plug hole is the heat transfer isn't as good so sometimes you have to use a grade cooler plug

So for anyone still following this build I’m trying to make the best out of these weird couple of months and gonna keep on and tackle this build! I rebuilt the engine top to bottom, had the cylinders bored (with oversize pistons - 65.5) and the valves professionally rebuilt. I have to be honest here, I never did check clearances and stuff like that, I just rebuilt it back to how it was but clean and newer parts where needed. So now I brought the whole engine with carbs and etc. to this guy I met on a forum who agreed to bring it up to speed and get to a point where we can bench test it. That’s my biggest concern. I want to know that the engine is fine and up and running so that I’ll keep on going with the build and keep spending more time and money on it. On a side note, on one of my past posts I mentioned that I got a Piaggio SI moped as a side project. Just wanted to share with you guys that I got it to a point where its 90% finished, just a couple more touch ups here and there. So to end this one I’m gonna attach a few pics of what I’ve done lately on the cb350 and the moped.
1CFA822A-96B0-49C2-ADDB-67F4BCCC7065.jpegEA66AC91-3F74-4818-866D-836548EF4375.jpeg20FB7945-3C2C-4822-A2A4-CCD33976FD9A.jpeg2547EA24-A2D3-49C3-9C38-7EC7C398DD2A.jpeg

Last edited:
It's been a long time since I've been active. I put this project on the side for a long time, and now I've decided to take it back on and finish it once and for all. I have a lot of work left but it should be fun!
I wanted to get some help with the hubs. They rusted on the inside so I tried cleaning them with a wire brush attachment on a drill but that didn't work. So I started sanding the inside of one of the hubs (where the brake shoes create contact) with 100-grit sanding paper. This seems to be helping but I wanted other opinions on what to do. Should I continue sanding? Get them machined? Will machining them require different parts like bigger brake shoes if so? Thanks for any help.
Attached are the pics of the rear hub which I worked on and the front hub that hasn't been touched.

Attachments

• IMG_2800.jpeg
    IMG_2800.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2799.jpeg
    IMG_2799.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2798.jpeg
    IMG_2798.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2797.jpeg
    IMG_2797.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2796.jpeg
    IMG_2796.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2795.jpeg
    IMG_2795.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 30
Just keep sanding. It's dirty work.
If you could find someone to bead blast them it would be much quicker and easier but you would almost certainly need new bearings
Glad your OK and not called up for military duty (yet?)

Thanks for the advice!! I finished my military service a couple of years ago, I did a little over 6 years as a soldier and officer and I wasn't called on duty now even though I tried volunteering. I hope it'll get better, we're trying to stay optimistic.

I sanded the front hub's inner wall and wanted to get an extra opinion on what I should do next. Should I get it machined or can I use it like it is?

Attachments

• IMG_0286.jpeg
    IMG_0286.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0285.jpeg
    IMG_0285.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0284.jpeg
    IMG_0284.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 15
Thanks for the advice!! I finished my military service a couple of years ago, I did a little over 6 years as a soldier and officer and I wasn't called on duty now even though I tried volunteering. I hope it'll get better, we're trying to stay optimistic.
Best wishes to you and your countrymen. I'm hoping things can go your way and that some kind of lasting peace and security can come to your homeland.

Back
Top Bottom