Headlight plug melting! HELP!

Beaner242

Been Around the Block
This is the second plug I have had to replace. I checked the voltage with the bike off and with it running and it reads 14.5 volts at the plug. I had replaced the original headlight with one that had built in LED blinkers. It was cheap off EBAY so I thought maybe the bulb was funky also. The first plug I replaced I had been running with my high beam on so I thought it must have generated to much heat. That plug was stuck so bad it actually pulled the bulb apart getting the plug off. I replaced it with a Sylvania bulb that's supposed to be brighter. This time I managed to get the plug off without destroying my $20 bulb. Everything was fine yesterday, I rode about 120 miles round trip to a bike show. Later in the eve I was working on the bike and noticed that the headlight wouldn't come on so I pulled it out and discovered the plug had melted and the terminal came apart. So I replaced the plug with one from Autozone and in the midst of checking the voltage I dropped the light and busted the glass out of it. Back in goes the original light and bulb. I just cant figure out why its melting the plug? The choke was on when I tested the voltage so it was probably around 2000 RPM? Should I run it higher and re check the voltage? Thanks for any replies that may sort this out. Here is a picture of the plug I replaced.
20140622_143902.jpg

I'm getting a little technical here, but it's not the voltage that will get you; it's the current.

First step would be to test for short circuits and clean your connectors. Next step is to return the headlight to it's stock wattage. A brighter headlight will definitely draw more current than a dimmer one. If you want brighter, go to HID or LED.

Thanks Sonreir. The bulb that was in it was a 55/60 watt. Since I broke that headlight I put the stock one back in with the original bulb so I am going to check it periodically to see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom