81' GN400 Build Cafe/Brat

StryfeS13

Hello, I'm new to this forum and figured I would start a build thread. I work at a motorcycle salvage yard in Fresno, CA and I stumbled across this GN400 in the lot one day. The reason it struck me was simply because of the big single and kick start, I had to have it!

So I brought the bike home from work and started tearing it down and turning it into what I want it to be, and this will be my build thread. My build is much inspired by the Holiday Customs GN400 and Cierrecart's GN400, a member on this forum..

So this was the first day that I had the bike..it was pretty ugly haha!

CAM00907.jpg

First thing I did when I got it home was check for spark and clean the carburetor. I'm no longer using this carburetor though because I picked up a VM36 at work..

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

The gas tank was very rusty inside and still is...I need to clean it out still

IMG_0230.jpg

And here's how it looked after I took everything I didn't like off.

IMG_0237.jpg

Re: GN400 Build Cafe/Brat

I decided that I didn't really these huge brackets so I removed them..

IMG_0238.jpg

I bought some drag bars but I'm seriously considering going with clip ons instead..

IMG_0240.jpg

Painted my stock mags black..I don't know if I'll like how these look or not. If I don't like them I'll get spoke wheels.

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

I pulled the motor out to freshen it up, clean it, paint it, etc.

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

Also, I removed the "D" in the intake port

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

Wish I had a job like that....You could have a pretty good side gig shipping parts to Forum members that need them...check out the WTB(want to buy) section here

I bought some stuff from DCC and it arrived! Rear hoop, speedometer, frame slugs, headlight brackets

IMG_0390.jpg

De-tabbed my frame..

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

Rear hoop ready to be modified and welded on...frame slugs needed to be ground down too. I used a drill and grinder

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

Frame slug ground down (left) frame slug from DCC untouched (right)

IMG_0413.jpg

Then I decided I wanted to cut the frame shorter so I marked it and cut...

IMG_0416.jpg

Cut the rear hoop to the length I wanted it. It was too long.

IMG_0418.jpg

Fit the slugs into the frame, welded rear hoop on!

IMG_0422.jpg

And done!

IMG_0423.jpg

DesmoBro said:
Wish I had a job like that....You could have a pretty good side gig shipping parts to Forum members that need them...check out the WTB(want to buy) section here

It's a fun job. Doesn't pay the best but I love what I do so it makes it worth it in my opinion.

I'll check out the WTB section.

Been pretty busy but got some progress done. Installed swingarm and rear shocks...started electrolysis on my tank - trying to get the rust outta there

IMG_0425.jpg

I work on and have 240SX's so I used one of my old Tomei stickers on the swingarm and it looks pretty cool haha..

IMG_0426.jpg

My rust removal contraption lol

IMG_0427.jpg

DesmoBro said:
any CL175 scrambler style Headers at work? i'm looking for one

Doubt it but I'll check tomorrow.

cierrecart said:
Dejavu, lol. Looking good man!

Thanks man. And yeah our builds are similar!

Well. This was originally going to be a budget build but I'm beginning to like it too much so spending money is starting to come easy lol.

Just spent another $175 for some clip ons, new o ring chain, and Red Kote.

:D

Painted the triple tree with some rustoleum "appliance" epoxy. Heard good things about it on here and it's dried to a rock hard shell..

IMG_0438-1.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

Looking good!
great rear hoop you bought from DCC. Do you think it will work on a GS 550 ('79)? Is the frame the same size?

2en0 said:
Looking good!
great rear hoop you bought from DCC. Do you think it will work on a GS 550 ('79)? Is the frame the same size?

I'm not sure if your GS550 is the same size or not. If you want I can take a picture of the dimensions of mine and post them on here.

Nice work! Next time you're grinding, try a flap disc; they are aggressive enough but they offer better control. Looking forward to your progress.

For some reason the only fork seals that would fit my forks were ones from a TZ250..so I used those. The GN400 fork seals I ordered were 35x48x11 which were too tall for my forks, I needed an 8/9.5 (tz250, xj550, etc)

CAM00970.jpg

I also did some more electrolysis in my tank..gross!

CAM00967.jpg

I'll be lowering my forks 2" internally. Here are my forks all torn apart..

CAM00956.jpg

StryfeS13 said:
I'm not sure if your GS550 is the same size or not. If you want I can take a picture of the dimensions of mine and post them on here.

If you can do that, that would be great! Thanks!

So I finished lowering my forks and also used some aircraft stripper to remove the yellowing clear coat that was on the lower tubes. I wanted to polish my lowers instead of painting them since there is already a lot of black on the bike.

IMG_0446.jpg

I also got the bike rolling again! It will have to come back apart though, I have to re-paint the front wheel and maybe the frame...the frame paint I used seems to just chip off with my fingernail. Anyone got some suggestions for good frame paint?

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

Oh, and 2en0, i looked at my friends 81 GS550 and his frame seems to be about the same. The "large cc" hoop from DCC should work for you.

Is that a pic before or after you took 2 inches out of the springs? .. Noticed the top of the forks still pop up out of the trees. Is 2 inches the most you can chop out of the springs or can you cut as much as you want? Nice lookin build so far !

Back
Top Bottom