XV920RH cafe racer From holland

lambik

Hello, I Am new here on the forum. I'm from Holland and I started the built of a café racer. I used a XV 290 RH chain drive. It will Be with spoke wheels. The rear wheel is from a XTZ 750 Yamaha and the front wheel will be a XS 650 and two disks from a FZR600. The tank is the original and I tilted the back 2” an d I think it looks great.
I love reading this forum and all off its different bikes.

Attachments

• dotheton.jpg
    dotheton.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 448
Today I tried something new whit the shift pedal. I mounted it backwards and it looks great. And I shortened the side stand so it will not fall over again.

Last Friday I bought a spare engine, it’s a 1000 cc so maybe I will use this one. It has an different starting system. It looks to be in better condition

Attachments

• DSC03706.JPG
    DSC03706.JPG
    415.7 KB · Views: 405
  • DSC03703.JPG
    DSC03703.JPG
    438.2 KB · Views: 367
  • DSC03700.JPG
    DSC03700.JPG
    440.6 KB · Views: 360
  • 20131223_153840.jpg
    20131223_153840.jpg
    488.3 KB · Views: 356
So, two months further and A lot of work has been done. This week my wheels are back. I fitted new tires and modified the front fork.

Attachments

• DSC03895.JPG
    DSC03895.JPG
    712.9 KB · Views: 359
  • DSC03893.JPG
    DSC03893.JPG
    710.9 KB · Views: 366
  • DSC03890.JPG
    DSC03890.JPG
    840.8 KB · Views: 347
This week I made the brake system for the back wheel. I used al the old parts and modified them.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 352
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 367
Today I Finished the hydraulic system for the rear break. I am satisfied. But I am still looking for a small caliper for the rear wheel.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 341
It just seems there is no end to the Virago based builds. this one is so different, yet has that beautiful V-twin.

This week I made an aluminum plate for the rear caliper. In the eighties the used this method on racers and it is a light construction. I also got my front fender and it looks just the way I wanted. Now I can search for some hydraulic pipe for the mounting of the fender.

Attachments

• DSC03939.jpg
    DSC03939.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 360
  • DSC03938.jpg
    DSC03938.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 329
  • DSC03933.jpg
    DSC03933.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 368
Nice build. I like the rear brake stuff goin' on. If I look at your shifter, does it reverse your shift pattern like the TZ's of years ago? Don't know if you have as dumb a left foot as me, but practice a little with it, before you tear-ass around with the bike. An RD Yamaha can survive a huge over-rev (don't ask how I know) but a TR, probably not...
You guys over in Europe must all be 9 feet tall (oops, me bad, 2.743 metres LOL) - those rearsets are as far back as Beach's...
BTW, I'm a manly 165cm tall, not quite Hobbit, but real close LOL#2.
What front end, what rim sizes and what tire sizes? Are those SV650 calipers?
How is your chain alignment with the new rear hub? Mine has been the absolute pits to get right, but I'm on target now, thanks to Beach's and a couple other guys' input.
I'm trying to get the Baby Tracker on its wheels, then my XV; I promised Beach sometime in June, it will belch fire and make noise again.
Keep us posted on your ride.
Pat

pacomotorstuff said:
Nice build. I like the rear brake stuff goin' on. If I look at your shifter, does it reverse your shift pattern like the TZ's of years ago? Don't know if you have as dumb a left foot as me, but practice a little with it, before you tear-ass around with the bike. An RD Yamaha can survive a huge over-rev (don't ask how I know) but a TR, probably not...
You guys over in Europe must all be 9 feet tall (oops, me bad, 2.743 metres LOL) - those rearsets are as far back as Beach's...
BTW, I'm a manly 165cm tall, not quite Hobbit, but real close LOL#2.
What front end, what rim sizes and what tire sizes? Are those SV650 calipers?
How is your chain alignment with the new rear hub? Mine has been the absolute pits to get right, but I'm on target now, thanks to Beach's and a couple other guys' input.
I'm trying to get the Baby Tracker on its wheels, then my XV; I promised Beach sometime in June, it will belch fire and make noise again.
Keep us posted on your ride.
Pat

Nice build indeed - that's what I love about these bikes - the diversity of styles around a common base ! Apart from the aforementioned Docs clones [ am I beginning to sound paranoid about this ???? !!!! ] there's some seriously individual bikes out there [ TR1 / Virago ]. My pegs are now a little further forward / up, as the new seat position allows a better bend on my tired old knees !

We're hoping to cut into the TR1 frame this week to allow the Metisse tank to sit right. No big deal as the resulting "holes" will simply be plated with 3 mm sheet.

BTW Pat ......... forget all that bloody metric nonsense - I still buy "pints" and I'm in feet and inches. New dog, old tricks etc. !! Or maybe just too senile.

Pat,

My shifter does not reverse my shift pattern and it shifts wel. I am 6 feet tall That is 180 cm in European stil.

The front fork is part FJR 1300 and part Thunderace. The inner tubes are from the FJR and the outer tube Thunderace. It is fully adjustable and it all fits. The overall length is 80 cm and 48 mm (almost 2") in diameter.

The front rim is an 18” X 2.5”. The hub is from a XS 650. The disks TBM 850 and the calipers FZR 1000 from the nineties.
The chain alignment is correct. I used a wheel from a XTZ 750 and adjusted the alignment. Then I ordered the right rim and spokes. 17” X 4.25” rim. Al aluminum and RVS spokes.

It has been quiet for a few weeks but I started again. I have a holiday en I began with my seat. Instead of buying one, I’m gone make my own. I bought the polyester en made a start this week. It’s a lot of work but I’m getting there. Next week I will finish it and I will look how I will fit it on the bike. It would be nice if I could fabricate some kind of hinge and a lock.

Attachments

• DSC04591.JPG
    DSC04591.JPG
    471.8 KB · Views: 362
  • DSC04592.JPG
    DSC04592.JPG
    501.3 KB · Views: 362
  • DSC04597.JPG
    DSC04597.JPG
    494.1 KB · Views: 353
I really like how you used the rather "clunky" foot-peg holders to incorporate both a clever shifter and to hide the new brake cylender. This is a clever use of a part that is often just kind of left hanging on these builds.

Back
Top Bottom