1976 Honda CB550 (my first build ever) rebuild cafe

Added some support beams for the seat mounting, got a magnetic drain plug, and added polished Allen bolts to the entire engine which I think looks really nice. Working on wiring next.

Also did an oil change and will be adjust cam chain, valves next

Attachments

• 20190424_153113.jpg
    20190424_153113.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 262
  • 20190424_110817.jpg
    20190424_110817.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 224
  • 20190424_110757.jpg
    20190424_110757.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 217
I love the 550's. Great progress so far. Consider changing out those lame Emgo pods for K&N's.

I agree they are lame :/

But my question is do the K&N provide any benefit other than looks for the bike? They are quite pricey...like 150 for 4 :/

DailyRideNH said:
I agree they are lame :/

But my question is do the K&N provide any benefit other than looks for the bike? They are quite pricey...like 150 for 4 :/

The cheap pods are known to block air inlets on the back of the carb. You can modify them if they do. They're also known to let way too much air in, and need some restriction to work well with stock jetting. TBH, the ones I've bought in the past had filter media so thin it didn't look like they would filter much of anything.

Look into UNI. Your air intake is one of the 3 important things that make your engine run and run well. Why risk getting dust and dirt in there to save a few bucks? Just my .02

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNI-Foam-Air-Filter-Pod-Set-CB500-CB550-CB750-PK-3-Honda-39mm/172228147416?fits=Model%3ACB550&epid=171254309&hash=item281998f8d8:g:uCkAAOxy43FRaH45

advCo said:
The cheap pods are known to block air inlets on the back of the carb. You can modify them if they do. They're also known to let way too much air in, and need some restriction to work well with stock jetting. TBH, the ones I've bought in the past had filter media so thin it didn't look like they would filter much of anything.

Look into UNI. Your air intake is one of the 3 important things that make your engine run and run well. Why risk getting dust and dirt in there to save a few bucks? Just my .02

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNI-Foam-Air-Filter-Pod-Set-CB500-CB550-CB750-PK-3-Honda-39mm/172228147416?fits=Model%3ACB550&epid=171254309&hash=item281998f8d8:g:uCkAAOxy43FRaH45

Any idea if these need to be modded to not block the opening and do they need to be oiled?

.....I like the look of those and will get them as I like the look and if better performance def. are worth it

DailyRideNH said:
Any idea if these need to be modded to not block the opening and do they need to be oiled?

.....I like the look of those and will get them as I like the look and if better performance def. are worth it

Yes, the UNI's are really good filters. They'll perform much better than the Emgo pods. Remember that they need to be oiled as well.
You can also find K&N style pods for less than K&N's at https://www.aperaceparts.com/

I got the UNI's and my new shocks came in yesterday. This wiring/battery relocation is going to be a little difficult but we will get there

You can do it. Good ol’ Spark Moto could help too.

Personally, I actually like the stock location of the 550 battery and electrics. I think they look cool with the sidecovers on and with a brat style seat.
And I can’t wait to see how the unis work with the cb550 carbs, I generally see velocity stacks or the k&n filters.
I also noticed that you wheels had a little rust on them, steel wool takes it off really well if you’re tryinf to use stock wheels

cb360j said:
You can do it. Good ol’ Spark Moto could help too.

Personally, I actually like the stock location of the 550 battery and electrics. I think they look cool with the sidecovers on and with a brat style seat.
And I can’t wait to see how the unis work with the cb550 carbs, I generally see velocity stacks or the k&n filters.
I also noticed that you wheels had a little rust on them, steel wool takes it off really well if you’re tryinf to use stock wheels

Thanks yea im interested as well. Im hoping its a pretty smooth switch over. Ill post some pics once I get them.

Yea has some rust, that's my next project to tackle once electrical is done. Thanks for the help!!

DailyRideNH said:

No they should not need to be modded. I get the UNI brand filter oil it comes in a spray can but you can also just use engine oil I believe.

advCo said:
No they should not need to be modded. I get the UNI brand filter oil it comes in a spray can but you can also just use engine oil I believe.

I got some KN filter oil just to be safe. What are thoughts on battery relocation spot? I have a tray for the electronics but the battery wont fit in it.

Is under the swing arm a good spot or is there someway to put it under the tank?

What kind of seat do you plan on using? If you posted that already I missed it. If you plan on using a cafe seat you can make a tray for it on that frame loop and hide it under the rear cowl.

You could always take the route of going with a smaller (physical size) battery. Under the seat cowl if you do the cafe racer style, I have seen on top of the swing arm just behind the engine, I have also seen behind the headlight between the forks in the front.

Oh I didnt think of behind the headlight, I'm gonna look into this. I'm planning on using a brat style seat so unfortunetly wont have a hump to hide it. Will show pics hopefully by end of the week of the spot!

Im going to put my battery under the swingarm where the stand used to be. its a ballistics 8 cell. I got the new air filters...pictures to come in a couple days. currently on vacation

Just make sure your charging system is working properly with that battery. I killed one once because I had a a crap charging system.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

So I got the filters put on, new bronze swingarm bushings, and am working on rear wheel bearings now.

Attachments

• 20190511_184653.jpg
    20190511_184653.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 200
  • 20190511_184651.jpg
    20190511_184651.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 207
  • 20190511_150902.jpg
    20190511_150902.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 214
  • 20190511_150857.jpg
    20190511_150857.jpg