'74 CB 360 Cafe Build - Luna - "Done"!

Re: '74 CB 360 Cafe Build! (the beginning)

Strange thing - after starting up the bike a couple times with the electric start, my kick start now no longer fully turns over the motor. It was working just fine before, and I haven't opened the engine case at all

Been a while since I've updated here -

Build is going along quite well. I ended up disassembling the engine to install fresh seals, check general health of the engine components and to extract and replace a broken bolt on the crankcase. All internals are in good health. I am a bit worried about the center journal on the camshaft, as there is some visible wear. Journal is still fairly smooth to the touch but clearly scored on the surface.

cec6a08987c3ab11baafc21ca4249020.jpg

Here's a few pics of the engine parts cleaned up and fresh paint.

390bc717d407997f28c2653e3b0687d8.jpg

5281db94848e2c0a1e9ce7bc69dce573.jpg

ea9ac539ba6d7da69c2e571290a75913.jpg

Frame has been stripped and detabbed, awaiting some custom fabricated rear set mounts and electronics pan to be welded in..

Waiting for a giant order of parts to come in...it's going to be like Christmas in May.

More updates soon.

-N

Cool, you have the punch marks from the recall- one for the tensioner and one for the rocker arms. You doing the oil mods now that you have it apart?

adventurco said:
Been a while since I've updated here -

Build is going along quite well. I ended up disassembling the engine to install fresh seals, check general health of the engine components and to extract and replace a broken bolt on the crankcase. All internals are in good health. I am a bit worried about the center journal on the camshaft, as there is some visible wear. Journal is still fairly smooth to the touch but clearly scored on the surface.

cec6a08987c3ab11baafc21ca4249020.jpg

Frame has been stripped and detabbed, awaiting some custom fabricated rear set mounts and electronics pan to be welded in..

Waiting for a giant order of parts to come in...it's going to be like Christmas in May.

More updates soon.

-N

Polish the bearings up with some 600 grit wetordry and oil, it's common problem
Make sure oil pump pick up is clean, may be worth stripping oil pump to check for damage

'74 CB 360 Cafe Build! (the beginning)

I will be doing the oiling mods. From above, I will be upgrading the oil sump pickup assembly with an eBay version, $14.00.

I also found your thread, crazypj for the modification to the transfer piece inside the right crank cover, (http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43545.0). Have there been positive results from this mod?

Any other useful oiling mod threads I should read?

Back to the engine rebuild, I'll be using HondaBond HT to seal the cases, and I've an overhaul gasket set ready to go. Any general advice or things to watch out for when rebuilding - aside from the obvious, follow the manual ::).

As for the rest of the mechanical bits: rebuilding front brake master cylinder, replacing rubber brake lines with stainless steel, new brake pads and caliper seal. New spokes front and rear, new tires/tubes/rim strips ready for mounting.

Removed some poorly installed Red-Kote from the interior of the fuel tank, which was tinting the fuel a deep red color. Gallon of acetone and a few hours soaking took care of that. Prepping the inside of the tank with POR 15 metal prep and will be applying POR 15 fuel tank treatment within the next few days. Will post here with results.

That's all for now. Time to get my hands dirty.

-N

Edit: All Balls steering stem bearings came today. When removing the steering stem I found a missing ball in the top race. No wonder the steering felt so crunchy. Carelessness at its finest.

Edit2: I've drawn up a design for a stainless steel "dashboard" to house the ignition, kill switch, hi beam/low beam/off switch, indicator lights, and provide a mounting point for the speedo. The stock top triple tree was cracked due to over tightening. I'll be cutting the box with a water jet. Probably won't go with the O.G. Honda type at the top, that'll get a creative spin.

1a34037b9d9a69b72fe8812aa08101cb.jpg

Apologies if these posts are all over the place. A lot has happened in the past few months :S

If you went through 360 'build/blog' you will have found everything I know about oil and mods that works on 360's
Drilling out extra passageway to centre bearing works but I drilled cam to get positive feed to rocker pads (easier than the $50.00 each repair)
later sump pick up isn't really needed if you keep an eye on oil level
Brendon rides is '360' (378cc) hard, oil system is about the only thing he doesn't have problems with (I didn't do the re-wiring, someone else did)
It's normal to have a space in crowded bearing set up, they skid instead of rolling if packed too tight

Subscribed! I love the shape of the seat pan. Great work!

I'm pretty sure you need this speedo. It's GPS, so no sensors to hook up. 2 and 5/8" OD. $180 shipped in the USA. We're a dealer for Speedhut. :D

Attachments

• speedo.png
    speedo.png
    152.9 KB · Views: 1,506

Does it have memory to prove how fast 360 is? ;D
I'll get tach plugs in the mail tomorrow

I don't think so, but there's a phone app for that.

crazypj said:
Does it have memory to prove how fast 360 is? ;D

You can get all kinds of options on those things.

0-60 time
1/4 mile time+speed
top speed
average speed+distance
compass
elevation

Would be nice to be running one less cable but I've got too many parts on order. Plus I'm kinda fond of that hunter green on the OEM speedo

Still cleaning the inside of fuel tank. Had to re-soak with acetone to remove some of the loose red kote, followed by warm water and simple green. Full of phosphoric acid as we speak for surface rust.

While waiting for my electronics pan and rearset mounts to be cut, got a little idea to mod the original rear inner fender. Planning on using the cutout as a mold to lay up some fiberglass. Traced some quick sharpie lines and hit it with the dremel and voila!

91dd92cb148a726c6e2cc0e312300e9e.jpg

f5988887eddcd38e2e2691da1a8603b4.jpg

Had some time before work this AM. Finished prepping the inside of tank, dried it out (hit er with the leaf blower then heat gun). Filled her up with some sparkly POR15. Hopefully this stuff holds up, got too many hours into this fuel tank right now

4e8f1ff41cbcc381c94ceb42274dfa3c.jpg

Getting organized for crankcase reassembly.

4deb613e35535bd88e68f245e8abe84c.jpg
395ec5948ca14e95832b14ae7f0b4718.jpg

POR15 tank seal is the best. I had one tank with it and it looked like a factory new tank. Aaron now has my bike and I bet it still looks perfect.

No idea what's inside the tank I'm using.
Looks terrible, sealed over the rust and god knows what else, works fine thugh without any build up in filters or carbs
Make sure tensioner pivot is free to move while you have things apart

Got the lower and upper halves of the case reassembled. Kick start mechanism functioning properly, oil separators and tensioner push bar installed in the lower. Gearshift mechanism, transmission main shaft and countershaft with new oil seals, cam chain, and tensioner reinstalled.

Shifted through the gears and everything's nice.

7d1afdcb8fbd3aa56c3b46a83cee0113.jpg

e6e79c6af70f0f184712bc97f986a6a9.jpg

85e0746b6be38ae77b52912052f8bb10.jpg

100cde9d65f39c5555c041688e3d91eb.jpg

@PJ - Are you referring to where the tensioner pivots on the dowel? If so it is oiled and moves freely.

'74 CB 360 Cafe Build! (the beginning)

Sealed the cases this morning, reinstalled the oil pump, pickup, clutch and idler gear. Couldn't find the updated oil pickup so I'll just be keeping a close eye on the oil for now until one comes up on eBay. Fitted HD clutch springs courtesy of bore-tech, keeping OEM friction plates and discs until I burn them out.

I'm deleting the electric start (save your flames, I know it's a "stupid" mod), and I've removed both of the starter gears and the starter clutch. I've seen the alternator rotor milled or filed down to "balance" it once removing the clutch. Is this absolutely necessary or is it acceptable to reinstall the rotor without removing the mounting tabs for the clutch? Is there a noticeable imbalance when the motor is running?

8e8f9866915ea940cfce012e229d126c.jpg

96e4fbfff50aad15c5462c8098267d71.jpg

92bf005b6d4c2b48a4aaaf360742064e.jpg

Edit: photos

-N

Back
Top Bottom