Removing Point Advance (CB100)

TurdFurguson

Weird Indy Kid
DTT BOTM WINNER
Im working on a CB100 and im trying to remove the point advance so that I can get to the timing chain. I cant for the life of me figure out how to get the damn thing off. Ive read over my shop manual many a time and it just says 'take it off' which isn't much help. banking and prying hasn't helped thus far...

WP_000522.jpg

looks like corrosion has taken a hold...apply a penetrating oil and then the use of isolated heat on inner shaft(inner seal may be ruined if you get it too hot)...first install cam retention bolt almost all the way until you have about a 1/16 or so gap from bottomed,concentrate heat on aau inner shaft, then get two screw drivers(short leg of 90 degree mini pry bars work best) and put 180 degree apart and pry from the back lightly then tap the bolt sharply but lightly .if no help tap the outer shaft side to side lightly with a plastic or rawhide mallet and then try all previous again... biggest thing is to not get too agressive and damage anything.. if there are any internal threads on aau(not the inner shaft)install a bolt and use a slide hammer...
joe@ vcycle

joea said:
looks like corrosion has taken a hold...apply a penetrating oil and then the use of isolated heat on inner shaft(inner seal may be ruined if you get it too hot)...first install cam retention bolt almost all the way until you have about a 1/16 or so gap from bottomed,concentrate heat on aau inner shaft, then get two screw drivers(short leg of 90 degree mini pry bars work best) and put 180 degree apart and pry from the back lightly then tap the bolt sharply but lightly .if no help tap the outer shaft side to side lightly with a plastic or rawhide mallet and then try all previous again... biggest thing is to not get too agressive and damage anything.. if there are any internal threads on aau(not the inner shaft)install a bolt and use a slide hammer...
joe@ vcycle

Thanks for the advice, i'll start the soak when I get home. When you say the cam retention bold are you talking about the bolt that goes into the inner shatf?

yes...that way when you load the aau outboard and tap the bolt threaded partially into the cam (inboard) there will be movement and it will come loose....then on to the next problem....joe

Your probably going to have a lot of 'fun' with that.
The early one piece head didn't have a lot of extra clearance to move the cam around.
You could try pulling cam towards you and then sliding some washers under advance mechanism or points housing before tapping on bolt to move it back
(lay engine on clutch side, give release oil a while to soak in)
Be careful, it is possible to snap the extension off cam end

Edit: Just noticed my idea is exactly the same as crazypj's haha

Not sure about the 100, but on my 350 the entire cam assembly can move back and forth (left to right) by 1/4 inch or so inside the housing.
What i would do it tap the other side of the cam pretty hard with a rubber mallet and see if you cant get the cam and advancer to move outward, once its moved try to put something under the advancer and then carefully rethread the bolt and tap it sharply but gently. This MAY break it loose.

that is what i'll do. Im going to let the oil sit over night then hit it again in the morning before work to make sure its had alot of time to sit in.
At TDC i can move the cam and point housing out about 1/4", so i'll put the washers in there and try tapping it out.

should only have to move it a few thousands of an inch to free it .....
another option is to mark your aau outer cam sleeve and remove it(thats if it is free) with the springs. then grab the the inner aau shaft with a vise grip slide hammer. normally a groove running around the circumference of the inner aau shaft offers a good place to secure the vise grips...if you use this method and do any damage you may have to stone or file any of the inner shaft so the outer cam sleeve rotates on it freely.........joe

Back
Top Bottom