What's the best way to clean inside exhaust headers?

Modgod1

1974 Honda CB550 Cafe Racer in Progress
Hi,
I have a Honda CB550, with 4 separate headers, and I want to clean all the carbon buildup off. What's the best/easiest way?

I heard that you can take them to a car radiator shop, and have them soaked overnight, has anyone experience with that? Details please?

Thanks!

Best way to clean inside is make sure it's running right then ride it.
Carbon build up isn't a bad thing, it help insulate exhaust and keep gas temp higher.
Lot of soft black carbon shows there is probably a running problem, fix that and don't worry about it
If you have it caustic cleaned, it will take off any chrome and can also lead to holes rotting through in a few months

Thanks PJ, I guess that's one thing I don't have to worry about now!

If theres a really heavy build up and you really want to clean it a brass wire brush will take the loose shit off.

Unwind and fray one end of an old control cable and stuff the other end into your drill. Wear gloves or keep your fingers out of the way.

Foaming oven cleaner is made to soften carbon. Works great, I've left it on chrome for 24 hrs + and had no issues, but really do mind PJ's post and make sure its runnin right.

Be advised, you will leave a plume of black smoke after breaking up carbon using a cleaner or brush.

If bike is running right, 10 mins running will clean head pipe, 10 mile ride at reasonable speed will clean out entire exhaust

I'd actually already tried all those suggestions, but even the oven cleaner still left a carbon covering, still it was better than before! What PJ said makes sence, so I tink I'm good now, thanks for all the replies!

JohnGoFast said:
Foaming oven cleaner is made to soften carbon. Works great, I've left it on chrome for 24 hrs + and had no issues, but really do mind PJ's post and make sure its runnin right.

Be advised, you will leave a plume of black smoke after breaking up carbon using a cleaner or brush.

I read your post again, when I did it I only left the oven cleaner on briefly, does it make a big difference leaving it on for 24 hrs? (Meaning will it get down to the metal or still leave a carbon film?)

I'd leave it on at least an hour and make sure its well coated, maybe even spray it in twice in 1 hour. Then rinse it out, and take a wire brush to it. I reccommend a stiff plastic or brass. You'll have to find one on a long rod and hook it up to a drill. The other option is to just run it after that, but unless you live out in the country I would not suggest it.

I personally use this guy: http://www.goodway.com/products/tube-cleaning/chiller-tube-cleaners/ream-matic-chiller-tube-cleaner

with a 1.5" brush, but unless you work on chillers, ya probably wont have one available.

Back
Top Bottom