CL350 engine removal

session101

Been Around the Block
so its down to bare bones and trying to remove the engine... any tips? ive gone over my manual like 10 times.... I know that it comes out the right side, so do i tip it forward and try to remove the back first or do i just tilt the top? i even took out the starter thinking i would have more room...

i have a 71 sitting at my house . forget how we took the motor out but know it comes out the right side. take carbs off and unbolt the valve cover where it bolts to the frame . tilt it forward a lil and work it out. helps with someone helping you and if that dont work i have heard people will lay the frame on the ground and lift the frame off the motor ! good luck

well i think what you mean by valve cover is the top where the heads are right? because the manual doesn't call for removal of that... also if i have the exhaust studs still in does that matter?

no you dont need to take the studs out . and for the valve cover sometimes its just easier to pull it off but you dont need to . just takes a lil playing around and wiggling to do it.

I tilt the motor backwards to clear the rear mounts and pull from right side.

If its just the motor and frame, everything else is stripped down, just lie the bike down on the right side (put cardboard or something down to protect the motor) and pull the frame off of the engine. Much easier than trying to muscle the motor out.

i drained the oil and with the oil plug out, i put a small piece of 2x4 on my floor jack small enough to fit between the frame to support the motor off the bolts and frame. by building up a platform next to the frame with 4x4 scrapps and a piece of plywood...wiggle and slowly push it out the right side. i never lifted the motor once or struggled at all....well, that's until i had to get it from the platform to the basement, then i used a hand truck and that same piece of plywood. life with a hernia and no health insurance leads to creative maneuvering! so i didn't remove any extra bits. i would consider the lay it down method like von suggested as a good substitute.

tilt it back until the front bottom mounts clear, then tilt forward a hair with the front mounts resting on the frame mounts, then angle the back end out and you're done

Back
Top Bottom