Getting ready to ride

88SS

Topped off my tire pressure today and hit some turns. The bike did, over all, good. I went from sea level to 4,000 feet with minimal problems (I was expecting problems), and thoroughly enjoyed myself
452731a6eee0a562d6bb9eef936e2e60.jpg

I did get a little bit of an idle issue on the way back home. The idle adjustment screw didn't seem to nail down the idle just right, but it really was minimal. I've pretty much narrowed the carb issues down to the petcock. It's an aftermarket petcock, that's wrong in so many ways. If I use an inline filter, it runs lean. Without the filter l get little bits that hang up the float pins, but only on occasion.

75516d69905511ef10e3d102821cc3ca.jpg

The biggest issue I see right now is suspension and handling. I'm 99 percent sure the forks need a rehab, and the back shocks are starting to leak oil. Who here has suggestions for overhauling the suspension and handling? What do I need, and where can I buy the parts? I want better than stock, but I want a restoration. This bike is a classic and there's not many left, but I also like to go fast....

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Progressive front and rear gets my vote for bang-to-buck ratio. Really good quality for the money, will enhance your ride significantly, can be purchased direct from Progressive, and IMO their rear shocks look relatively stockish in chrome.

Have you drained that tank to see if you can get some of the crud out? Really don't want that stuff getting in your carbs, will wreak all sorts of havoc and have you chasing your tail tuning (or at least constantly cleaning your carbs). If an inline filter is restricting your flow enough to lean your mixture, you might look at a high flow filter, and also check the screen filter in your petcock to be sure it is clear.

coyote13 said:
Progressive front and rear gets my vote for bang-to-buck ratio. Really good quality for the money, will enhance your ride significantly, can be purchased direct from Progressive, and IMO their rear shocks look relatively stockish in chrome.

Have you drained that tank to see if you can get some of the crud out? Really don't want that stuff getting in your carbs, will wreak all sorts of havoc and have you chasing your tail tuning (or at least constantly cleaning your carbs). If an inline filter is restricting your flow enough to lean your mixture, you might look at a high flow filter, and also check the screen filter in your petcock to be sure it is clear.

The screen is brand new, so it's clear. I've got a high flow filter on the way, but I'm waiting for it. Your totally right. I've been chasing my tail all over the place. Pulled the carbs 5 times. It is causing havoc, but I've got it to a minimum. I can tell when some partial comes through, or when the floats stick. I've just been chugging through it until it clears.... lol

I know that's probably bad, but I have to ride

Hopefully this filter will do the trick. I may still pull the carbs one more time. I'm thinking about bumping my mains up one more. I'm right on the edge of perfect.

Well, I thought I would post an update.

I've been riding for a full month, with good success. No major issues. Here's what bothers me: the bike will idle fine, and run perfect for 30 minutes or so, but when it really gets warm it starts to idle poorly. High revs, then tries to die.... typical. Not that big of an issue however. I've had it close enough where I can make an on the fly adjustment and I can rev it a couple time and keep it going. All in all it runs like a scalded dog tho

Today I pulled the carbs to tune on them some more, hopefully dialing it in even better. My only upgrade has been a mac 4 into 1 exhaust system. My previous jetting was 72 and 102. I bumped the jetting up to 72 and 105, replaced the fuel mixture screws, and replaced the rubber plugs inside the bowl.

Feeling pretty confident it's going to be a smooth running bike now. I'll get the carbs in tomorrow and do a final sync. Fingers crossed

Back
Top Bottom