71 CT1 175 2-Stroke

Perfect.................exactly what I want to do with my cb100.

Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Looking for ideals.

Attachments

• P1030480 2.JPG
    P1030480 2.JPG
    462.4 KB · Views: 264
Thanks all.

I wired up a harness last night now with turn signals and new controls. Also tucked the connectors under the tank to be more hidden. I just need to mount the signals and try them out now.

The tires are Kenda Challengers. 100/90/18 front 120/90/18 rear. They are all I could find on a budget in 18's that were also street tires. In the long run I'm tempted to get some wider 17" wheels and run street bike tires, but also considering just sticking with the 18's in aluminum and some other tires. For what I paid these tires are great though they handle spectacularly in the twisties.

I would love to achieve something like this for tires, but I don't know if I can fit that rubber in my stock swinger.
XT500SUPERMOTO-1.jpg

Don't go that wide... Itll screw with the fun "quickness" of the bike. It doesn't produce anywhere enough torque to need fat rubber.

Those jumbo tires would tie your little 175 frame in a knot, I doubt you could ever get much heat into them either? Big meats are cool to look at but not practical on a tiny bike. two cents.
Cheers, 50gary

I appreciate the input, there's still a bit of time before I'd get new rubber anyway.

Mounted up the turn signals, but the magneto isn't putting out enough juice to power them with the headlights on.

Turnsignals_zpsf023fb94.jpg

I'm thinking about rewinding the lighting coil for more power now, or switching to an incandescent bulb for the blinkers. The LED's are lower wattage but only operate at 12v which doesn't happen when the headlight is on.

flon3y said:
I'm thinking about rewinding the lighting coil for more power now, or switching to an incandescent bulb for the blinkers. The LED's are lower wattage but only operate at 12v which doesn't happen when the headlight is on.

I take it there are resistors inline with the LEDs? Be a lot less work to pull those off and get the real benefit of LEDs than to try to squeeze more out of the charging system.

EDIT: also this bike rules

No resistors but the lighting coil doesn't provide any extra power to even charge the battery right now.

I also updated the electric controls and added a kill switch.

9520B62E-0CD0-47A3-A3A6-11B31C267282-1561-000000BF6B7AF1A9_zpsf55811ba.jpg

8565ADAA-0B4D-4CF1-8E15-FF8EE4F32C84-1561-000000BFB0B04D31_zpsd0e0a4ff.jpg

I would love to find me one of these. It seems everyone finds the rad little smokers.

Look forward to seeing the finish product.

I have this exact bike that I just got in the garage. I plan on doing a complete custom Cafe build with it. I have really enjoyed reading through this thread and look forward to seeing what you do with it in the future. I'll post pics of mine as I get them. This is the only place I've found on the internet of anybody building one of these little bikes. They're so fun. I was curious what sprocket combo you're going with? I want mine to do the ton, without losing a lot of bottom end. And are you keeping the stock suspension, or upgrading for the added speed?Also, are you sticking with the stock carburetor, or something aftermarket? Thanks for the inspiration. I look forward to hearing back from you!!!!

I look forward to seeing yours, I haven't seen many builds of these bikes mostly restorations. Make sure to check out yamahaenduro.com. I ended up with a 14/43 final drive as it is what I could find available but I don't think I'd go a lot taller as I put run up and down Seattle's hills with two bodies pretty regularly. The 2t has good hp but seriously lacks torque. I have only re-jetted the carbs but if I swap in a cdi and raise the compression then something with more flow might be in order. The suspension is adequate as is but I'd like to swap out the forks for something stiffer and maybe extend the swinger some. Very cushy with the dirtbike springs makes rough roads very manageable.

I have to take my time with this bike as it's my daily rider and only bike. Can't really afford to have it unrideable for more than a day or two.

I just got it in the garage, torn down to the frame. Now I'm researching options and talking to the guys in the local vintage club about mods. I think I want to get a bigger motor for it. I am 6'4" and around 230 lbs so I want to be able to ride highway speeds without worry. I registered with yamahaenduro.com, but I haven't been able to figure out how to navigate the site. I'll be posting pics as I get more done. I'll keep ya posted!!

Not a lot of updates, just lots of sunny riding lately! Passed 6500 miles on the odo today, meaning I've put over 4k on it over the past year since I started riding it.

04a524c4e63b74e7f020b10ab2bd02b9_zps9548f697.jpg

After a long hiatus I think it's time to resurrect this project. I acquired a BMW R65 last summer that has taken over as the primary fair weather transportation. As such I think it's time to dig into the Yamaha to make it a little more fun. My goal isn't to recreate the bike, but to make an updated version of what it was. Most of the parts are ordered, the big remaining question is if I should keep it more cafe/street oriented or take it a more VMX route and put knobbies and high bars on it. Opinions?

7W4jMhE.jpg

U29Fd8N.jpg

I'm in the midst of converting it to 12V/180W using a Vape conversion kit now. I'm also stripping the entire old harness and creating a new one from scratch using modern best practices. For the time being I intend to run without a battery but might add one in the future if the electronics seem to need it.

The R65 for good measure
q1GN6ce.jpg

Back
Top Bottom