New TT Leathers Style Jacket

Rookster

Has anyone bought one of these on ebay?
BB1.gif

The real TT Leathers jackets never seem to come up in adult sizes. I probably already know the deal on this jacket but am hoping its not made from the same stuff purses are made from. Anyone have any info on leather quality, thickness, and fit while on a bike?

Thanks
Scott

Link to ebay auction:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brando-Bikers-Black-Motorcycle-Leather-Jacket-Racer-Punk-Vintage-Cow-Hide-/160688153492?_trksid=m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8721338852658832889

These are the same people who sell the movie replica coats which probably makes them fashion items and not actual motorcycle clothing. The optional CE armor is interesting though.

Scott

I contacted the seller and inquired about the thickness of the leather. The jacket is made with 1.1 mm cowhide but said they could upgrade to 1.3 upon request. A 1.3 mm cowhide jacket with CE approved armor seems like a respectable motorcycle jacket. I may be getting one of these.

Scott

A member here did a write up on that exact jacket. Looks like its pretty good quality minus the zippers and optional armor...

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=24152.0

VonYinzer said:
T1M... Who are you? Are you TIM the overlord of DTTs alter, math loving ego? Spill the beans...

;)

Wish I could say yes to any of that. The truth though is that I am just another DTT lurker with a bike that is slowly coming together and nothing better to do than memorize all of the leather jacket threads :p

Thanks Tim. After reading the review I have talked myself out of buying one of these jackets. I have a few modern riding jackets and want to hold out for a real vintage jacket.

Scott

No not really. Just about every modern motorcycle jacket is made out of cow hide or somer other hide, but not horse. Horse hide is like selvidge jeans, old school materials that are way overpriced today to fit some "culture". Jeans aren't selvidge anymore and motorcycle jackets aren't horse hide anymore. I think road racers wear real leathers and they sure aren't made from horses. BTW have you actually seen data that rated horse hide 10 times "tuffer" than cow hide of simillar thickness? What exactly is "tuff"? Are we talking abrasion resistance at certain speeds or tensile strength or looks?

Anyway, I just bought this instead as it fit my needs (vintage and adult sized):
KGrHqJHJDQEWqduGBP2RFqiNUw60_57.jpg

Scott

Cow hide is used in U.S (and most other places) for leather goods because people feel less emotional over using the skin from something that is getting killed to be butchered and eaten, instead of an animal that many view as a pet.
I saw a WWII vintage military pamphlet that covered various types of leather and their suitability for various uses. Horsehide IS more abrasion resistant and has more tensile strength than cowhide, and kangaroo is better than both. They recommended using kangaroo for drive belts for manufacturing machinery. The pamphlet was in a bunch of stuff my Uncle (a seebee) had collected during the war.

I won it on ebay from seller WearWolf Leathers. Its a vintage jacket, not new.

KGrHqNoUECBv5mFMBP2RFwj7kw60_57.jpg

KGrHqFHJ8EPQk7fb-BP2RFz4iWw60_57.jpg

KGrHqZHJDgEBBK0kB2BP2RF4BdW60_57.jpg

Still hasn't arrived as its coming from England.

Scott

Back
Top Bottom