CB550 Bobber-Junkyard Dog

Re: CB550 Bobber

Sorry to keep posting but I put a shit ton of work into that build and it was my first ground up build. Here is the only pic I had with the tank mounted up top. Once I spent as much time as I did molding and sanding the frame. The back bone of the bike looked so good I couldn't bring myself to cover it up with a tank, but by all means if I was building it again I would because getting the pressure correct on that fuel pump was a huge pain in the ass. A traditional tank is so much less complicated and looks good.

Attachments

• primer.PNG
    primer.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 404

Paulcl450, pretty awesome that you found this thread and thanks for the comments. I'll shoot you a PM as I am interested in the extra paint if you've got it laying around. I'd love to see your pictures of the build.

Hell yeah, it's cool. Also cool you're local, Paul. I'm in Augusta, but lived in Columbia a long time. My wife is from Lexington. Small world, fellas.

Off subject but if anyone is interested I just finished up this 450. Swingarm is extended by about 2.5 inches and I did the twisted frame from solid hex stock.

Attachments

• 20170402_175828.jpg
    20170402_175828.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 400
  • 20170301_191038.jpg
    20170301_191038.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 397

Wow. Swingarm too eh? That's cool. I think we have one of the same ladies on our garage walls.

In the background of the first pic you can see the cl450 dirt bike I built and quickly destroyed the transmission on. If you happen to know anyone with a crusty cb450 or cl450 engine laying around let me know, because I have to rebuild the transmission on that one and usually its cheaper just to buy an old bike project or motor than to buy a transmission. I got a bunch of xs650 stuff to trade too if anyone is up for it.

may be easier to just get the trans i may have a few

but i am not letting motors go

Still working on it, I promise. Keeping the bike at work so we can do the wiring and I have more access to random bits of metal and stuff. Forgot to take pictures but yesterday I cut out a plate to go under the seat where I will mount the R/R and the ignition unit. Got some parts in the mail that should be here next week.

Slowly been chipping away at it. Matt and I usually stay for a while after work each day and get a little something done. I had to buy a helicoil kit for one of the carb bowl screws as it stripped out. I cut out an aluminum plate to go under the seat and we mounted all of the electrical components to it. On top are panel mount fuse holders and the R/R, ignition unit and starter solenoid are underneath. I think that when we left today the wires were all run and switches installed as well.

Attachments

• 20180315_161229.jpg
    20180315_161229.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 384
  • 20180315_161245.jpg
    20180315_161245.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 381

So this may slow things down. My other hobby is roller derby and I got hurt at practice Sunday night. Still in the hospital at the moment. Don’t have much else to do so I thought I would update my build thread.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Attachments

• IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 720

John, did you need surgery or could they set it for you without? That will decide how long it will take to get better. You now can out your xray as your avatar too and join the broken leg club LOL

Maritime said:
John, did you need surgery or could they set it for you without? That will decide how long it will take to get better. You now can out your xray as your avatar too and join the broken leg club LOL
Gonna need surgery Mike. Hopefully they’re doing that Friday. Looks like it’s gonna be about 12 weeks before I’m putting weight on it again.

Ouch!
That's a serious roller derby injury.
And here I thought it was a womens sport ;D

12 weeks is better than 8 months, hope it all goes well. I had external fixation and the 3 plates 27 screws and a new hip and I back to walking with no cane and I might actually get to down hill ski next winter. Ill never run again but I can ride and wrench so Im good. Youll be fine. Cheers

SONIC. said:
Ouch!
That's a serious roller derby injury.
And here I thought it was a womens sport ;D
There are a lot more women’s teams than men’s. My wife has been playing for almost six years. I got involved as a referee for her team. Last year when I got the chance to skate with a men’s team I went for it.

Maritime said:
12 weeks is better than 8 months, hope it all goes well. I had external fixation and the 3 plates 27 screws and a new hip and I back to walking with no cane and I might actually get to down hill ski next winter. Ill never run again but I can ride and wrench so Im good. Youll be fine. Cheers
Thanks mike. They say I’ll get back to normal and that’s my goal.

Back
Top Bottom