Lotsa help and advice needed on my Ninja 250

lil.sushi

K so I'm posting here cuz I trust you guys to not tease/poke fun of my newbieness and lack of cycle knowledge.

I want to get an aftermarket exhaust for my bike (2002 kawasaki ninja ex250) but not sure what's out there....I checked the hindle site and nothing listed for my bike. I read that the only full exaust system out there for my bike was made by Muzzy, and there are cans from Two Brothers...but I'm looking for a full exhaust, price is no matter, as it's gonna be my b-day gift to me.

Also, needing some major help with my oil change, one of my friends explained the process to me, but what he said and what my boyfriend's sayin' are slightly dif. Do I need a new drain plug washer for my bike? is this an additional item i need to pick up before changing my oil.

Sorry for the noob questions and not checki['n out the rest of the site first...but 20 hour weeks at the studio on top of the full time job are starting to take a toll.

Any help is appreciated.

Don't know much about the exhausts, but I don't remember ever replacing a drain plug washer on even my 30+ year old bikes. The washer is usually a copper washer, which is soft creating a nice seal. Worst thing that could happen is a bit of oil leak, in which case you live with it till the next oil change. Of course the washer is a $1 item, so you might as well get one from any ol' Kawi dealer.

Found this nice document on Ninja 250 stuff.

http://ninja250.kingston.net/~jeb/Kawasaki%20Ninja%20250%20FAQ.pdf

Trina had a Muzzy full system on her 250, you should talk to her. A carb jet kit may be needed to take advantage of the more free flowing exhaust. Service manuals will always recommend a new sealing washer with each oil change but it's not necessary unless it's old and worn out. You can reuse the washer until it wears out and starts leaking but that would take many oil changes to do that. Unless it's a copper crush washer then yes, you'll need a new one but those aren't common on newer bikes.

Your BMW needs a new washer EVERY time Tim... they're supposed to be an alloy crush washer.

New washers and gaskets are cheap insurance, I usually order enough sets to get me through the entire season this time of year.

Phooey. If your oil is thick and gooey enough it won't leak :D How many times do you bloody well change your oil that you need 'sets' to get you through your 8 weeks of riding? Do you leave the bike on a treadmill at night?

lil.sushi said:
K so I'm posting here cuz I trust you guys to not tease/poke fun of my newbieness and lack of cycle knowledge.

I want to get an aftermarket exhaust for my bike (2002 kawasaki ninja ex250) but not sure what's out there....I checked the hindle site and nothing listed for my bike. I read that the only full exaust system out there for my bike was made by Muzzy, and there are cans from Two Brothers...but I'm looking for a full exhaust, price is no matter, as it's gonna be my b-day gift to me.

Also, needing some major help with my oil change, one of my friends explained the process to me, but what he said and what my boyfriend's sayin' are slightly dif. Do I need a new drain plug washer for my bike? is this an additional item i need to pick up before changing my oil.

Sorry for the noob questions and not checki['n out the rest of the site first...but 20 hour weeks at the studio on top of the full time job are starting to take a toll.

Any help is appreciated.

Hi,

Congrats on your new (to you) Ninja 250 from a fellow new owner and new rider. Let me start by pointing you towards http://www.ninja250.com/home.htm. There you will find a whole bunch of people who are very knowledgeable and passionate about their 250s. Word of warning though, please do read their FAQ and search the posts as much as you can before posting. Many of your answers will have already been answered in the past.

Sorry, can't answer your question about an aftermarket exhaust, but there are many discussions about it on that site. You'll also find step-by-step instructions for just about every maintenance procedure for our bikes. From what I've read, you do not need a new drain plug washer when you change the oil. Just make sure you use a motorcycle specific oil -- not car oil.

What color is your 250? Mine is a 2005, black and silver, with only 38 miles on it. Got it for a song. Previous owner was only 18 when he bought it new and dropped it last year and decided he was done with riding. Unfortunately, playing with this new toy has taken precious time away from working on my CB360T.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom