1982 CB750F...Better Devil

Spent a few hours polishing up these enormous bastards -

hMrOqjc.jpg

- and then met Flavio. Old boy rocks up on his bicycle asking me if there's any decent graffiti around, he wants to photograph it he tells me. We get to talking, turns out - among many, many other things - that this dude holds the world record for press-ups as a 60 year old, and next year on his 80th birthday he's going for the record for an octogenarian. And he boxed with Rocky Marciano, designed formula 1 cars for Ferrari and held court with Madeleine Albright.

Funny the people you meet polishing aluminum.

Seeing that engine with the shiny new bolts makes me want to go and get new bolts for mine, looks the business

cb250nproject said:
Seeing that engine with the shiny new bolts makes me want to go and get new bolts for mine, looks the business
Here you go mate -

https://alloyboltz.com/product/honda-1979-82-cb750-dohc-polished-allen-engine-kit/

You'll have no problem replacing your old bolts with these new ones even if your engine is already installed in the bike. The bolts are all bagged and labelled so it'll be an easy switch. The company also makes crankcase halves bolts (I think) - I'm looking into picking up a set of those too.

Jimbonaut said:
Here you go mate -

https://alloyboltz.com/product/honda-1979-82-cb750-dohc-polished-allen-engine-kit/

You'll have no problem replacing your old bolts with these new ones even if your engine is already installed in the bike. The bolts are all bagged and labelled so it'll be an easy switch. The company also makes crankcase halves bolts (I think) - I'm looking into picking up a set of those too.
Rad, cheers for that I’ll definitely be ordering these bad boys

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

No worries mate, the bolts come with some instructions re. torque specs - you don't whale on them as hard as you would the OEM steel.

I decided against new stainless bolts for the case halves, and took my crusty old ones to get re-zinked today instead. Way cheaper, and - hopefully - spiffy too.

I have always used Blue Loctite and had no problems when using SS bolts in aluminum...

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/49514-what-type-thread-sealant-ss-aluminum.html

Stuff's starting to arrive now, primary chain and a few o rings are on their way and then I can start to reassemble the engine -

UKOEqzI.jpg

- at least I hope I can. Went with the yellow (loosest) crank bearings as it was impossible to see what colour the bearings were that needed replacing. I'll plastiguage the clearances and all being well I can start the rebuild. BorgWarner cam chain which I'm assured is the business and some new primary shaft rubber dampers to replace the knackered and plasticized old ones.

Also had to repaint a couple of the engine side covers as they came out looking a bit grainy. Wet sanded then resprayed, think I'm good. Better anyway.

Need to measure the crankshaft journals but don't have a micrometer. I'm looking for one online but there seems to be a lot of variation in both price and accuracy. I don't want to break the bank on this thing but need a halfway decent one. Anyone give me some real world feedback on an affordable brand?

Took advco's advice and took the crank to a local machine shop to get the journals measured accurately. Glad I did too - the two old boys Jean and Gin had 100 years of experience between them and worked in a shop that looked like it had been around since the ark. Definitely the right place. Lovely blokes too - measured the journals for free, gave me a bunch of help and then offered me a job. Old school cool.

I ended up buying a 1-2" micrometer, new digital caliper and whatever those T shape whatnots are called used for measuring the ID's of cylinders etc. All from Accusize. I'll take the micrometer to my new friend Jean's shop and have it calibrated, and will report back on its accuracy.

I know. Exciting shit.

Jimbonaut said:
I ended up buying a 1-2" micrometer, new digital caliper and whatever those T shape whatnots are called used for measuring the ID's of cylinders etc. All from Accusize. I'll take the micrometer to my new friend Jean's shop and have it calibrated, and will report back on its accuracy.

I know. Exciting shit.

Cool tools FTW!

Back
Top Bottom