Salzburg '73 CB350 - Summer Riding Update

Re: Salzburg '73 CB350 - First Build - Update: Frame work

Untitled by Matthias Salzburg, on Flickr

Got my tank in primer. Will wet sand and then paint.

Don't know yet if I want to use Nason Fulthane 2k or go with a high solids Imron for even more fuel resistance. Debating on stock Honda red color or maybe something with a bit of metal flake to match my 3/4 helmet.

This is a great thread. Keep up the good work with lots of photos.

did you have to modify that tank any to get it to fit right?

Salzburg '73 CB350 - First Build - Update: Frame work

What kind of welder are using? My buddy is getting ready to weld up the seams on mine, and he doesn't know what to use on these thin frames. He only welds on heavy duty construction equipment at his work.

broncoboy79 said:
What kind of welder are using? My buddy is getting ready to weld up the seams on mine, and he doesn't know what to use on these thin frames. He only welds on heavy duty construction equipment at his work.

Hobart 140. I bought it 6 years ago and it's paid for itself 10 times over doing odd jobs and fabrication for my other hobbies. The thin stuff on my 350 I weld at the lowest setting (I've also got some small wire as well).

LtGeorge said:
did you have to modify that tank any to get it to fit right?

Only a slight amount. I mainly modified the frame. I ground down the top seam and welded it shut. I also ground down the two tank mount studs about 1/4" and narrowed the stock rubber mounts.

Salzburg '73 CB350 - First Build - Update: Frame work

MatthiasSalzburg said:
Hobart 140. I bought it 6 years ago and it's paid for itself 10 times over doing odd jobs and fabrication for my other hobbies. The thin stuff on my 350 I weld at the lowest setting (I've also got some small wire as well).
Appreciate it. Man that thing has some good reviews on it. Been looking to pick one up for odd jobs as well. Plus I've always wanted to learn to weld. Nows a better time then ever.

It's a great little welder. I've even welded aluminum with it using a teflon liner.

Re: Salzburg '73 CB350 - First Build - Update: Primer tank & tail

I'm debating on if I only want a solid color or if I want to have a racing stripe down the center. Either plain red or red with a white or black stripe.

Tank and tail back on bike by Matthias Salzburg, on Flickr

Maybe something like these:

Image0235-1.jpg

DSCN7543.jpg

velocity-cafe-racer-tv-season-3-bike-of-the-week-kawasaki-z650-1.jpg

Thoughts anyone?

So far so good on the mounts.. I am a fan of the twin stripe or the pinstriped single stripe myself

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Re: Salzburg '73 CB350 - First Build - Update: Primer on Tank & Tail

Also working on my front brake system. I'm using a Ninja EX 500 rotor and caliper on my original 350 hub. The rivet spacing is the same as the ninja, but the holes are a bit larger. I'll have to find a way to fill in the space.

Ninja 500ex rotor by Matthias Salzburg, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom