Vintage "mag" wheels anyone?

Yeah, if you ride those the brakes don't rust nearly as bad and it causes you to service the tires more often. I understand collections, but not collecting dust.

crazypj said:
Those also came on some RD350's

Are you thinking of these ones, PJ?

Yamaha%20XJ900F%2085.jpg

They were on the RZ350's as well as the XJ900f's and I think the earlier FJ600's.

Tune-A-Fish said:
Drops the value of the sandcast by a whole lota pennies if it's a K0
Why, do sand cast wheels cost $500?
The Sandcast is a basket case. I doubt I'll let the Kimtabs go with it.

I was going to say, the person that will value the sand cast will not want to use the kimtabs.
Those are epic wheels, missed out on a set for my 750 a few years ago.
They would be nice on my Seeley....lol

Tune-A-Fish said:
Drops the value of the sandcast by a whole lota pennies if it's a K0

Unsure what you mean.
A sandcast is what it is. It is not a K0.
Some have thought they hit the lottery on a sandcast only to not understand the numbers.
A k0 is a valuable bike, but not comparable to a sandcast value.

To maximize value of a sandcast the details have to be right too.

surffly said:
I was going to say, the person that will value the sand cast will not want to use the kimtabs.
Those are epic wheels, missed out on a set for my 750 a few years ago.
They would be nice on my Seeley....lol
If I restore the sand cast I will probably not put these back on. The Kimtabs are worth more than a pair of spoke rims for the K0. I'm curious what brake he had on the back, because Kimtabs don't come in drum brake.

surffly said:
Unsure what you mean.
A sandcast is what it is. It is not a K0.
Some have thought they hit the lottery on a sandcast only to not understand the numbers.
A k0 is a valuable bike, but not comparable to a sandcast value.

To maximize value of a sandcast the details have to be right too.

You explained it in your previous post.
Engine #1644, frame #1565, it's a sand cast

Yes, you are correct, the K0 is die cast 1970 model the sand cast is 69, but my point is still valid.

Tune-A-Fish said:
Yes, you are correct, the K0 is die cast 1970 model the sand cast is 69, but my point is still valid.
Not to my situation , but I understand what you are saying

Tune-A-Fish said:

Im lost on the point.
first 7500ish bikes built in 1969 are "sandcast"

K0 can be 1969 or 1970. all are diecast

Fairly different bikes.

o1marc said:
You explained it in your previous post.
Engine #1644, frame #1565, it's a sand cast

I would have to check, but yours might be a left hand horn bracket too. We talked via PM on one of the other boards.
I had a pre 1200 frame once.

But yes, your bike is defiantly a sandcast and very different to a 1969 K0 in terms of parts and value.
Not many actually get that as the bikes look similar from 10 feet away.

surffly said:
Im lost on the point.

The after market wheels devalue the motorcycle is the point. collecting anything for value is pure stupidity (unless gold or silver) IMO so none of it really matters to me anyways.

Tune-A-Fish said:
The after market wheels devalue the motorcycle is the point. collecting anything for value is pure stupidity (unless gold or silver) IMO so none of it really matters to me anyways.
I might be wrong, but in my case with a complete basket case sand cast that has been owned since 74-75, it is worth more with the Kimtabs than without any wheels. And with the price of Kimtabs these days I doubt the package would be worth more if I included sand cast rims instead.
The only way I will agree that it would be devalued is if it were a restored complete bike and only to someone willing to pay top dollar for an original sand cast. Again I think the Kimtabs are worth every penny that a sand cast wheel would bring.

Tune-A-Fish said:

I know what you mean.
Thing is that the kimtabs are worth more then what the correct spec wheels would cost.

Back
Top Bottom