biggest tire that will fit...

Islandstar

Been Around the Block
As topic says I was wondering whats the biggest tires that will fit on CB400F, and still be able to keep front fender.
Thanks

I dont either.
Use the stock tire sizes. Go one size up if you want to. Anything else is going to adversely effect handling

I only say so because my 400f has a 130 tire on the back and it sucks.
I am used to it now so it doesn't scare me like it used to, but you can feel it flex around every turn because its simply too big for the rim its on.

Ok. I was hoping for 100/110 on the front and 120 on the back. I'm just trying for something to make the bike look a bit bigger, at 6" 1, and 205 lbs, it looks small under me.

Youll probably be fine with a 100 and a 110. I personally wouldnt put a 120 on it, but have seen others do so.
Ill be going 90 and 110 on my next set of tires.

Best idea? Buy a bigger bike. Bigger tires will not make the bike "look bigger". My brother in law has the same issue w an XS650 chop he's getting ready to build. Hes 6'3" and around 250lbs. No matter what he does, the bike will always kind of look snall under him. Not much to do about that.

VonYinzer said:
Best idea? Buy a bigger bike. Bigger tires will not make the bike "look bigger". My brother in law has the same issue w an XS650 chop he's getting ready to build. Hes 6'3" and around 250lbs. No matter what he does, the bike will always kind of look snall under him. Not much to do about that.
Lol. I agree 100%, and if I could I would. But remember where I'm from, I doubt they're 3 CB750 on the island, so really jus trying to work with what I have.

SONICJK said:
I only say so because my 400f has a 130 tire on the back and it sucks.
I am used to it now so it doesn't scare me like it used to, but you can feel it flex around every turn because its simply too big for the rim its on.

What is flexing, the tire, the swing arm, or the wheel/spokes. The technology in today's tires provide much more adhesion than the ones from 35 years ago that the bike was designed for. In the 90's when they were racing the CB400's with newer rubber they started breaking spokes from the flex in the wheel. They switched to CBR600 mag wheels and then noticed all the flew was transferred to the swing arm. So they braced the swing arm and then noticed how much of the flex was now transferred to the frame, so they had to brace the frame, All these issue from the adhesion of modern rubber, not from the larger size tire. I agree a 130 is probably more than you want back there even though it barely fits. I would max at a 120 for the rear.

Islandstar said:
Ok. I was hoping for 100/110 on the front and 120 on the back. I'm just trying for something to make the bike look a bit bigger, at 6" 1, and 205 lbs, it looks small under me.
At 6'1" and 205 it is small under you. :) Bigger tires on it will just make the bike look even smaller. O wouldn't put a 120 on the stock rim. If going with a 120 go with a wider rim also.

o1marc said:
What is flexing, the tire, the swing arm, or the wheel/spokes. The technology in today's tires provide much more adhesion than the ones from 35 years ago that the bike was designed for. In the 90's when they were racing the CB400's with newer rubber they started breaking spokes from the flex in the wheel. They switched to CBR600 mag wheels and then noticed all the flew was transferred to the swing arm. So they braced the swing arm and then noticed how much of the flex was now transferred to the frame, so they had to brace the frame, All these issue from the adhesion of modern rubber, not from the larger size tire. I agree a 130 is probably more than you want back there even though it barely fits. I would max at a 120 for the rear.

It's the tire, there is too much overhanging off the wheel because it's far too wide and ballooning off the rim.
You can feel the sidewall flex when you lean into it.

im , 6`5" an 250.....and im 55 yrs old... on a Honda cd250u... jist like an elephant sitting on a loaf o bread.....ha ha ha ah a

Back
Top Bottom