CB350 / 360 Front wheel lacing question...

madmatt1

Been Around the Block
I am lacing up a CB360 front wheel. (Disc brake)
Just wondering if anyone knows the best order / procedure. Do you do all of the inner spokes first, OR do you have to lay out all of the spokes
on the hub first? I just ask because I tried assembling it one spoke at a time, inners first, and by the time I got to the last two or three inner
spokes, things were too tight to get them into their corresponding rim holes. My pattern looked correct, I was pretty confused. Any tips? Thanks!

Plenty of videos on this, in the 1-800-CAFE HELP section and also on YouTube

If things are getting tight or difficult then you're doing it wrong. The nipples only need to be threaded on a couple of threads, and don't be afraid to twist the hub around to give yourself some space. But above all: watch some videos

The guy I took it to to balance and true ended up taking apart my work and building half the rim (half the inner and half the outers) truing it, and then building the rest and truing it again... he builds race bikes so I didn't question his methods.

I already laced up the rear one, that went fine. I did all the inners first, then outers. That method just didn't seem to be working for me
on the front wheel.

madmatt1 said:
I already laced up the rear one, that went fine. I did all the inners first, then outers. That method just didn't seem to be working for me
on the front wheel.

You may be getting mixed up with which hole on the rim the spokes need to go into. If you start in a hole that's meant for an outer, yer screwed from the beginning. It took me a few tries and a few beers

I dicked around with this wheel for hours last night. I kept checking everything over twice and three times, to make sure the holes were the correct ones, and the pattern was correct, everything. I even have a wheel just like it that is assembled, as a reference. The further I got, the harder it became to get the spokes to their corresponding holes. Today I came home from work, took another look at the "original wheel" and laced it up in about twenty minutes. I have no idea. ::)

ACTUALLY.... the thing I did different this time, come to think of it... was that I laid out ALL of my inners at one time, in their proper directions, and then lowered the rim on to it, instead of attempting to do one at a time. That worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom