Brake Rotor Coating?

o1marc

Over 1,000 Posts
My rotors have been blasted and now have no corrosion resistance coating on them anymore. They lasted one night in the rain before rusting to the max. What is the proper coating and prep for having this done? Who does this kind of service? Is it something that could be economically done on a one time basis?

paint everything except where the brakepads grip on the rotor.

against the rust on the non-painted surface you can't do anything, except using the bike, the rust will come off after a few brakes and won't come back as soon as it did now because the rotor will be slightly covered in brakepad dust after some use.

when you park the bike for some time (let's say wintertime) you can spray some WD40 on the rotor to prevent from rusting but don't forget to use brakecleaner before you ride her again.

Powdercoat the whole rotor.
The pads will eat through the powder on your first ride and you're good to go.

SONIC. said:
Powdercoat the whole rotor.
The pads will eat through the powder on your first ride and you're good to go.
And embed it right into the pads. :eek:

Just lightly take a cookie wheel over the rusted area and ride it. DO NOT coat the friction area of your brakes with ANYTHING. You will only compromise your braking abilities.

fury413rb said:
the bolt/nut on the axle clamp looks like it is about to fall off

Good eye, nothing on the bike is bolted tight yet. They are Nylocs so they are not going to fall off,but they are loose. Once I get oil in it and ready to fire I will nut and bolt the whole bike. As complete as it looks there is still a long check list of around 50 things that need completing on it.

You could have it zinc plated. I'd recommend Burbank Plating in Burbank California for small jobs, they've done things like that for me for $15, though they usually have a $45 minimum, get that axle plated as well..

cosworth said:
The zinc plating would wear off very quickly. Don't breathe it in either.
It would only wear off the pad surface which I don't care about because, as mentioned, first time you hit the brakes that self cleans. It's the rest of the exposed rotor I am concerned about.

As good as he is your rotors will rust into a pile of dust befor they ever stop a bike

Ha!

Seriously though you just need to use them to stop something. There isn't any coating on brake rotors - the putz at the mcMechanic who turns rotors on a lathe doesn't put anything on them afterward...

Ok im only gonna do this once
step 1: Put a rag under your harley motor
Step 2: wait over night
Step 3: pick up rag and wipe rust off rotor
Step 4: clean all the extra oil off the rotor

titanium nitride would work and hold up very well 8) bonus it is a gold color win win ;)
should be able to get it done for a few hundred dollers

VonYinzer said:
ZING! Got ya there college... Pretty sure he got ya there...
You remind me of that little Chihuahua that barks and nips at your heals when your back is turned. Are you brads puppy, I see you follow him around like one.

Back
Top Bottom