Yam RD Chainguard Question

2_DONE_THE_TON

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
Hey forum!

So yesterday i started cleaning and repainting my greasy and scratches chainguard.

When i mounted it i realised that this thing needs some trimming.
So my question here is how far can i ' 'reduce down' the chain guard without any compromise to its function.

I dont want my pants to get sucked in :) and no chains flying around...

I guess that the 'back bone' of the chain guard is the most important part.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421507182333.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421507182333.jpg
    998.1 KB · Views: 191
  • uploadfromtaptalk1421507212333.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421507212333.jpg
    844.9 KB · Views: 200
Is the bottom one steel and top plastic?
Top one just provides much better protection for the chain, if cut own it won't provide any protection for you as smaller section gets destroyed if chain breaks.
Stock size it will crack but deflects chain away from you

The chainguard is all steel.
My plan was to leave the top 'backbone' intact and cut the side view of the chain (exposing the chain) so there will be more transparency looking from the side of the bike.

Does the side part only protect the shoe laced from being sucked in or does it have other functions?

The chain guard is mounted on 2 spots on the swing arm,these mounts wont get cut down.

All steel, cut it down a bit. You need a 'C' section deep enough not to bend, probably 1" sides will be plenty

Went down on the chain a little bit...hope i didnt cut down too much...i actually cut out more like windows without cutting the top section.
Left strips where the chain guard hides behind the frame tubes.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421765385947.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421765385947.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 176
  • uploadfromtaptalk1421765757194.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421765757194.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 176
  • uploadfromtaptalk1421765895891.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421765895891.jpg
    776.3 KB · Views: 198
I did something similar, but with various sizes of hole saw. You can see it here:
http://imgur.com/OK2mQcG

I made the decision to also cut where the rear mount was, but made sure to weld it all together around the cuts so it still stayed in place and solidly-mounted. I also ended up notching it out further to clear the wider shock. I welded in a couple of stiffener pieces across the top to compensate.

Red CB 350 looks good.
Can you fit it lower around rear sprocket? doesn't look 'right' sitting that high

crazypj said:
Red CB 350 looks good.
Can you fit it lower around rear sprocket? doesn't look 'right' sitting that high

i know that it looks funny but this is the stock mount and stock chain guard.dunno why they fitted these chainguards so high...
i will also weld in steel pieces to strengthen the structure of the guard...

this rd400 shows the stock position.

Attachments

• rad.jpg
    rad.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 191
See if you can find one off XS650, I think it's smaller to start with and may also be a lower fit.
I'll try and remember to measure length of rear mount later

FWIW, the chain guard, beside preventing something from getting dragged into the engine cases, serves to keep the chain lube from spraying on the rider and passenger....

Back
Top Bottom