Rear Hub Axle Distance Collar spacer/tabs

anovotak

Hi all,

I need some help. Please check out the attached photo.

I have a rear distance collar from my 1975 CB750F that one of the spacers is loose #1 in the photo, the other spacer #2 in the photo does not move. My question is how should I go about getting the one that is loose back into the correct position and getting it to stay there o :)

Of course the blue tape is just so I don't lose the one that is loose.

Thank you,
Andy

Attachments

• distance_collar.jpg
    distance_collar.jpg
    432.5 KB · Views: 192
For most spacers, the collars position is not at all critical. They are there only to keep the spacer approximately centered in the hub. If the spacer is not held approximately in place by the collars, and also not captured snugly between the inner bearing races, the spacer will fall to the bottom of the space inside the hub when you put the wheel on the bike preventing the axle from passing through. The collars only have to keep the spacer close enough to center for the axle to get started, and gets more precisely aligned as the axle goes through. A lot of hubs are fairly crude between the bearings, so the collars provide only a rough position anyway. Also, many spacers only have a single collar near the middle. Just put one near each end, and then place it in the hub to make sure it will work ok, before installing the second bearing. Keep in mind that the center spacer itself is a good indicator of whether you have the bearing installed far enough. The center spacer should be held snugly between the two wheel bearings' center races, but not so tightly that you can not move it off center a hair. The collars usually allow for a hair of adjustment by not being tight in the bore of the hub.

perfectly explanned ;)
you can get the 3 star dealy to fit snug again slide it off crimp/distort the bore inner rim a bit in a few places with the tips of pliers and make it snuger

Back
Top Bottom