cutting old tires off rim

stevewag

posing a question to anyone out there in DIY repair land- has anyone ever cut old unusable tires off the rim LONGWAYS? I've seen a ton of videos of people cutting them short ways from rim edge to rim edge but inevitably they can't get it off and end up having to cut the rim too because they cant get through the tire bead. I figure break the bead as usual, then, if its cut long ways down the center of the tire maybe you can then just peel each side off the rim like a clemintine, almost fold it over itself. I have a pair of rock hard race tires on the rim and am looking for anyway to bypass wrestling with tire irons, screw drivers and crow bars to get them off the rim. And I hate paying anyone to do it if I can do it for free. What do you think?

You'll get half the tire off easy. The other half, still going to have to wrestle it off the rim.

Try it, can't hurt and will give you access to the beads from the other side and may allow you to put some lube in to get them off. I have cut tires off and what I did was cut cross section to just before the rime with a grinder in a v, then use tin snip to finish cutting the beads without wrecking the rims. Your idea may be better.

The tires on my 900 where hard as a rock so rather than wrestle them off the rim I cut a chunk out with a band saw then cut the steel belt in the bead with a cutoff wheel.
8710862649_2212c19677.jpg

8711993828_dc3de0f91d.jpg

8710921137_66562b98c1.jpg

LBC said:
The tires on my 900 where hard as a rock so rather than wrestle them off the rim I cut a chunk out with a band saw then cut the steel belt in the bead with a cutoff wheel.
8710862649_2212c19677.jpg

8711993828_dc3de0f91d.jpg

8710921137_66562b98c1.jpg

i woulda had that tire off in less than 5 minutes with tire irons,then drinkin a beer ;D

having a helper nearby would be good, when you get to the last part your helper can push down hard on the rolled over part of the tire while you pull the rim up & out.

grcamna5 said:
having a helper nearby would be good, when you get to the last part your helper can push down hard on the rolled over part of the tire while you pull the rim up & out.
once one bead is outside the rim,i use a very long lever slip it under both beads then rotate it up and over well past 180 (goes in between spokes) degress then either bang off the tire with a dead blo hammer or use more long levers to continue the final peel-off
the key to moving beads is that they are in the drop center and to pull out the inner tube after first bead-over is complete

xb33bsa said:
yep long levers and i use some copper or aluminum thin sheet to protect the rims

Step 1 drink beer.
Step 2 create rim protector from empty beer can.
Step 3 apply lube...now more lube...more.
Step 4 grab 24" tire irons
Step 5 magic happens
Step 6 drink more beer and bask in the glory of your empty rim
Step 7 sit back and wait for the money and internet fame to appear

Or something like that.... ;D

So by "Man Up" you meant that he should get a bead breaker and some robust tire irons and maybe a decent stand and maybe a big dead blow hammer...I thought you were just telling him to try harder. ;D

LBC said:
So by "Man Up" you meant that he should get a bead breaker and some robust tire irons and maybe a decent stand and maybe a big dead blow hammer...I thought you were just telling him to try harder. ;D
and soapi water and whore t bring beer + sammiches,or booger sugar

I've had some wheels with tires hard enough I resorted to cutting. Cut-off wheel through the wire at the bead on both side makes it vastly easier to simply lever off.

Maritime said:
Try it, can't hurt and will give you access to the beads from the other side and may allow you to put some lube in to get them off. I have cut tires off and what I did was cut cross section to just before the rime with a grinder in a v, then use tin snip to finish cutting the beads without wrecking the rims. Your idea may be better.

Yep I have done exactly this.

so, sadly, no new innovative way was discovered for removing tires. Even with it cut the entire way around the outside of the tire, that pesky bead was no looser to flip over the rim. It did make getting the inside accessible to get the grinder in to cut the bead metal. But definately less effort than tire irons though.

or try this method, little or no danger of rim damage, obviously this is putting the tyre on, but you get the idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI01yB8clSM

Needless to say I am finished installing my own tires! Can anyone tell me if this rim I destroyed is going to at least hold air? And I've tried the cable tie method without success. How do these guys with the you tube vids make it look so easy? Arrgg!!

Attachments

• P3070007.JPG
    P3070007.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 256
  • P3070006.JPG
    P3070006.JPG
    983.8 KB · Views: 257
  • P3070009.JPG
    P3070009.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 253
Back
Top Bottom