100$ for a cafe seat?

meatpocket

So here's the thing. I've just finished making a seat for my 74 CB360 twin. I used a old tank and welded a frame together and coated it in fibre glass. I got a quote from the upholster for $100 to $120. Now I think I've done a good job on this seat pan. But it is perhaps not perfect. Is it possible to get a ready made seat for 100 to 120? The reason I went the route of making my own seat is that I can't seem to fined a cafe seat that will fit a CB360 for sure. The bike does have a somewhat high raise near the back. Plus I've extended the tank by a good 2 to 3 inchs, so the seat would have to "stubby". So any thoughts??

Here's what I did - cost me $66 including $40 for the donor seat.

So, I finally have come to a close-to-final shape of my new seat. I took a stock 550F seat, cut a bunch of foam out of the seating area, and then added foam to the rear of the seat. The donor foam came from another seat - a crappy old rotten 750 seat.

You can see the original profile of the rear by looking for the dark line between the layers of foam. The dark line was the top of the 750's seat foam, stained from age. Nice smooth surface however for the adhesive.

I've added bits of foam here and there as I shaved down too much in places - just stuck more foam on and then shaved down again. Will fine tune it to be perfectly smooth.

I've used a utility knife to do the rough cutting, and then I dug out a tool from my chest that I've never used. Not sure if it's a plaster tool or what - some form of rasp? Anyhow - it worked perfectly for shaping the foam to a smooth finish.

I'm also adding a layer of high density foam (grey) which is from those interlocking floor mats sold at Home Depot for your workshop or the multicoloured ones sold for kid's to play on. Then a thin layer from an old yoga mat. I don't have a cheap/free thick yoga mat to cut from, but this setup seems to be decent. Haven't sat on it yet, so who knows.

I'll get a pic of it on the bike later. So far it has cost me nothing to build, aside from the purchase of the 550F seat for $40. Buying black vinyl today ;D I haven't found a definitive souce of info on upholstery - not sure if I need a layer of fabric or anything under the vinyl. I think some vinyl has a backing on it - will be looking for that. Need to start working on a pattern for the vinyl - will do that with poster paper.

pics20060702011.jpg

pics20060702014.jpg

pics20060702010.jpg

pics20060702003.jpg

pics20060702002.jpg

bumpseat20060709003.jpg

bumpseat20060709006.jpg

bumpseat20060709001.jpg

pics20060709007.jpg

pics20060709006.jpg

pics20060709002.jpg

pics20060709003.jpg

meatpocket said:
So here's the thing. I've just finished making a seat for my 74 CB360 twin. I used a old tank and welded a frame together and coated it in fibre glass. I got a quote from the upholster for $100 to $120. Now I think I've done a good job on this seat pan. But it is perhaps not perfect. Is it possible to get a ready made seat for 100 to 120? The reason I went the route of making my own seat is that I can't seem to fined a cafe seat that will fit a CB360 for sure. The bike does have a somewhat high raise near the back. Plus I've extended the tank by a good 2 to 3 inchs, so the seat would have to "stubby". So any thoughts??

Post some pics.. Lets have a look at what you have so far..

N

Check this site out: http://www.clubmanracing.com/

I seem to remember that some of the seats were around $120 US. I've seen the Manx seats fitted to a 550. I think ProTeal runs the Ducati seat on his CB450 which is around $150.

Kuyarico said:
Check this site out: http://www.clubmanracing.com/
I think ProTeal runs the Ducati seat on his CB450 which is around $150.
Yup - Thats where I got the seat for the CB450 project --->
SEAT1.jpg

450-57.jpg

450-52.jpg

Fit & finish of the seat is killer (4 what I paied)- and came ready to paint.. ;D

Differnt bike, but I know what you mean by the back curving up a lot. I didn't think it was too bad, though, with the fender and all. A localldy did it using "memory foam" for $85 on the stock pan. I have to say it is unbelievably comfortable.

Great suggestions everyone. I would use the stock pan but because I lengthened the tank by a fairly decent amount I don't think it will work. I wonder if the seat from that web site might be a better option. Is it hollw in the turtle back? I've decided to relocate my battery back there. Other than that what did it run with shipping?? and how long is it? I measured the length I have between the tank and the back of the bike. I'm looking at around 15 inches.
Thanks again for all the input.

I've had to shorten a couple of stock seats to accomodate different tanks. There's no law that says you can't saw off your stock pan before recoverng.

After some seat time on my CB450 I can def. say that anyone who buys the seat like mine def.
need to have it re-covered with some additional padding. I was only on that thing for a 1/2 hour at most and my ass
was killing me :eek:

Looks cool though ;D

Back
Top Bottom