Should I get my CB360 running on points before switching to Pamco?

Supergyro

Hello fellas.I'm running into a mental quandary with the application of the old axiom of "don't fix what isn't broken." I could use some help from you guys to decide which way to progress.

I had my CB360 running, but with a few issues. In my jubilant state I decided a test drive was in order, so I set out on a local paved road. As I would get into the higher RPM range (unsure of exact value, my tach was not installed for this little test run) the engine would bog somewhat, and at one point (by my inexperienced ear) seemed to run only on one cylinder. I was obviously concerned, but figured a timing and carb synch were in order.

Being one to rush into things, I started with the timing. I reset the cam chain tension, set the tappets, and went to set the points. I struggled with points for a while, replaced a few stripped phillips head screws with cap screws, and generally mucked about the process. When I was satisfied with my work, I went to start the bike and promptly broke the electric start mechanism! (motorcycles... I tell ya) Fast forward through scavenging an uncracked starter clutch puck-deal from the parts bike and I have the electric start back to functioning. But now the bike won't start. It's like a dry, unproductive cough... I can't get it to catch.

So at this point I think my timing job may be suspect, but I'd thoroughly enjoy never having to deal with points again. To that end I have procured a PAMCO e-ignition unit from Mr. Pete himself, and plan to do away with those pesky points for good. My question is, should I follow the old axiom of having a running bike before any modification? Or should I consider the PAMCO unit the cure to my issue and go forward with electronic ignition?

Any technical help, tips, or anecdotes would be greatly appreciated.

Nothing wrong with installing the Pamco and going from there. Your bog and one-cylinder issues may be electrical, so I'd get the meter out and start going through the system. The points cover grounding to the points is a common issue with these and could be your trouble. Get the timing sorted, or at least make sure you didn't eff it up and move to the next system. You can do a coil check as well.

I'd advise getting it back to running again before making another change. Have you checked for spark? Pull a plug (or use a spare), put it into the spark plug boot, and hold it against the engine when you try to start it. Double check that you set the points gap correctly -- some manuals on some bikes (maybe not the CB360, can't remember) will tell you to set the gap at a certain point, but the correct way to do it is set the gap when you can visually see the points at their widest open. Deviant is right on the grounding issue, and on checking your wiring throughout.

In terms of timing, when you set it did you rotate your points plate much? Can you rotate it back? Points gap can affect timing as well...

It could also be a carb sync/cleaning issue?
Personally I would get it running on points, one less variable to mess with plus eliminates possibility there is a fault in the Pamco

Back
Top Bottom