Top end advise

Bucky

I recently had bought a basket case project. Knowing that I would have some engine work. So started taking the top end off. And this is what I find.
38fe24b7afde84e289e9cc49309f9c55.jpg

That is the #1 exhaust and intake valves. #4 is not as bad. #2&3 look as they should. But inside the #1 cylinder I find this goop.
4a62d1f5692a6f759def125bb865bf53.jpg

I was able to get the cylinders off, for the most part they look clean. Here is my question, hone cylinders, install new rings on pistons, and do a complete overhaul on the head? Or bore out to the first oversize, and completely rebuild the head.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Was that motor seized? Pull the jugs and pistons and see what the jugs look like after you clean them off. You'll want to measure the clearance between the cylinder bore and the piston and check it to the FSM. I got lucky on the XL350 I'm working on, it was seized but I was able to get away with a light hone and a new set of rings, but that clearance will tell you what you need to know to move forward on the cylinders.

For the valves, pull the keepers and springs off and post some pics of the valve seats. That bottom face of the valve is not very important, you can clean the carbon off them with a wire wheel in a bench grinder. The important bit is under there, there is an angled valve seat that needs to be in good shape along with the valve itself in order to seal properly. Depending on the condition underneath you can either lightly lap them back in by hand or worst case have the seats cut at a machine shop.

You might get away with a light hone to the cylinder bores, but as Adventurco said, the valves have to come out of the head to assess the damage to the valve seats and faces.

Back
Top Bottom