CB550 new brake dont build enough pressure?

BNR34RB26DETT

Been Around the Block
I installed this brake
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-caferacer-cafe-racer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-brake-parts-black-aluminum-nissin-hydraulic-front-brake-master-cylinder-perch-lever-kit-17-651-b-3604.html
and it seems that its not building enough pressure in the system to actuate the brake cylinder

Is my brake cylinder not creating enough pressure within the system?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXGb1n6cSyg

Did you bleed the brakes? Is fluid coming out of the bleed screw on the wheel caliper? Any air in the system will cause the problem you are having.

well i did bleed out as i would in a car.
build pressure by holding in the brake lever, undo the bolt at the brake caliper to let fluid out, close the bolt, release the brake lever.
i did this about 30 times and fluid does flow through the bolt.

what do you mean when you say i must bleed the master first? Isnt there only one valve to bleed the brake fluid? Or did you mean that i should disconnect the line from lever to caliper and bleed the brake lever separately?

I've always done it slightly differently.

Open bleeder
Squeeze brake lever - hold
Close bleeder
Release lever

Repeat, always making sure to keep the MC full of fluid, adding more as you go along.

Your method isn't adding any more fluid to the system, near as I can figure. You need to keep adding fluid, pumping it through till there's no air left.

I use a Speed Bleeder valve now on my calipers. Open, and then just keep pumping the brake lever adding fluid to the MC until you like the look of the fluid coming out the bottom with no air left. I'll use a good amount of fluid each time I do it.

you should always bleed the master first at the banjo on a dry master
and if you cant get the bleed on a wet system then bleed the master
you can/MAY get away without doing it first but it could drive you insane trying :'(

BNR34RB26DETT said:
well i did bleed out as i would in a car.
build pressure by holding in the brake lever, undo the bolt at the brake caliper to let fluid out, close the bolt, release the brake lever.
i did this about 30 times and fluid does flow through the bolt.

what do you mean when you say i must bleed the master first? Isnt there only one valve to bleed the brake fluid? Or did you mean that i should disconnect the line from lever to caliper and bleed the brake lever separately?
yes bleed it at the banjo on the lever by using a big nest of rags to catch fluid and cracking the banjo after a few pumps and holding,repeat untill no air up there
you only need to snug the banjo bolt bete=ween repetitions,no need to tork it down untill all done

xb33bsa said:
yes bleed it at the banjo on the lever by using a big nest of rags to catch fluid and cracking the banjo after a few pumps and holding,repeat untill no air up there
you only need to snug the banjo bolt bete=ween repetitions,no need to tork it down untill all done

Hmmm. Interesting. Air may be trapped by the lever and the master cylinder assembly. I will give bleeding at the cylinder a try. i also just ordered a speed bleeder so that should help ;)

I put a rubber gloved covered finger over the MC outlet (Lots of rags, as mentioned, too). Acts as a check valve to make sure the piston area of the MC gets a full of of fluid.

Back
Top Bottom