Wife Bike - CB100

Yeah I'm not a fan of low bars on these bikes.
I had them on mine and hated them. But to each his own, and I'm sure it might be better for someone a different shape then me.

The oldrice site has some cool old articles on these motors. Mostly off road stuff but still good reads

I have some left over parts to get rid of if you need stuff

Did a little more work on the bike this evening. Started taking off some parts and tested the coil. testing the secondary there was a reading of 2, testing the primary there wasn't any reading. So, I decided to spend the rest of the evening buying parts.

CB350 stator
new bars
single cable throttle
new coil
carb rebuild kit
ignition switch

Reading around, it doesn't seem like the rectifier needs to be replaced when moving from 6v to 12v. I looked at my 350 and it seems like its the same part. I'll leave it stock (still need to test it) and if it blows i'll replace it when I have to.

Dont be cheap. Buy the rectifier is emailed you. Its far more efficient then the 30 year old honda technology and is about the size of a quarter so its a lot easier to hide. I bought a few just because they were so cheap.

What coil did you buy?

Man this build is neat. I love the fact that you are building it for your lady and will be gifting it on christmas! We need some video of the gifting!

ffjmoore said:
Dont be cheap. Buy the rectifier is emailed you. Its far more efficient then the 30 year old honda technology and is about the size of a quarter so its a lot easier to hide. I bought a few just because they were so cheap.

What coil did you buy?

I bought one of the ebay special coils, just a stock 6v coil made by sweat laborers in some small country. That was cheaper than getting a used one so we'll see how it goes.

I went through the doc you sent and its a good read, enlightens on some of the information that I didn't know about. I was actually looking at the Oregon one you mentioned earlier, accidentally typed into into Ebay and one popped up. Trusting his telling the truth about its condition, but it was only $35 so I jumped on it. I couldn't even get a used CM400 reg/rec for that.

Also went ahead and ordered a seat for the project so that I can start trying to figure messing around with building a battery/electronic box to hide everything. I saw these guys are the swap meet at barber but they were packing up before I had a chance to check the sizes they looked pretty good for the money though. If not I suppose I can find them next year and give them a piece of my mind :)

http://www.hotwingglass.com/seats/road-race-5.shtml

Looks like a nice seat. Much cheaper then the one I bought. Nice find on the reg/rec. That will make wiring the bike that much easier.

I've got today through Monday off, alot of house work to do as well for fall but I spent most of the day today working on the bike. New parts started coming in as well.

First I pulled the old stator off and put the new one on just to verify that it fit. It is bigger just like everyone says but I didn't have any issues once it was on.

WP_000490.jpg

(thats the new 350 on and the old 100 off)

Cover fits fine as well, kicked it over a few time just to make sure it spun correctly.
WP_000493.jpg

At the end of the day, this is what im left with.. A box of parts and a rolling frame. Next goal is to start cutting off all the tabs and things on the frame, then sand it down and paint it. I had thought about getting it powder coated, but I might have to make rearsets etc once she starts riding it so this way I can just sand off the paint, weld and repaint and it wouldn't matter.

WP_000494.jpg

WP_000495.jpg

the plug on the stator is different on the 350 as well as the little rubber plug. What i did was cut the connectors off and slide the little rubber plug off the 100 stator and then slide it onto the 350 stator. Then i think i soldered on the connector from the 100.

Well, she's completely apart now, need the rest of my parts to come in so I can do some fab work and then start getting it all together again.

I got all the extra tabs off for the side covers and then cut off the rear peg mounts.. I think they could have held a 500lb elephant!

WP_000498.jpg

Heres the final boxes of parts

WP_000499.jpg

And here's the frame..

WP_000501.jpg

While you have it apart you may want to think about lowering the forward tank mounts a little. I did it to both my bikes and it makes the tank sit a little more level.

I recommend slamming in some taper roller head bearings while it's an easy job :)
These puppies can handle quite sweetly when everything is good.

Oh and i'm not sure how the 100 would handle it but I added 2 trash to my front sprocket. Its no rocket off the line but it added almost ten mph to the to end.

Well, got the seat in last night and im kinda stuck for a minute. its just not quite as big as I had thought it would have been. The issue is that it wont fit over the frame so I would have to leave it raised on top of the frame or else ship this one back and get a bigger seat. I like the cowel on this on however as I think it flows with the smaller 100cc tank very well. I snapped a pic with the tank for thoughts. Im not against having it sit on the frame just wasn't my original plan. I would cut the rear of the frame so the old seat brackets are gone and they wouldn't stick out then.

WP_000503.jpg

I like the size/profile of the hump. I kind of dig it above the frame rails. I would probably take some length off of the front, though.

i like the rear hump. but i'm one that doesn't like the seat sitting on the rails. too bad it wouldn't be easy to just split it down the middle and widen it a bit.

I would cut that seat right up the middle, spread it apart and then re glass it. I had to do heavy modification to my seat to make it look right.

ffjmoore said:
I would cut that seat right up the middle, spread it apart and then re glass it. I had to do heavy modification to my seat to make it look right.

Ive never worked with fiberglass before, I dont think I want my first jump into it to be splitting a seat apart and trying to glass it back together and still look right. The way the seat was made is actually comes to a 'point' in the back, and I really dig it, but I think it would make widening it even harder.

WP_000504.jpg

I went back to the website where I bought it and looked at their next biggest size but it looks like the one you originally started with which would be way to big in the back.

I do need to shorten it a little and maybe it'll be close enough once its moved forward that I could grind the inside of the sides down a little and 'MAKE' it fit but i don't think that will work. If i leave it on the rails it'll also give me an extra 3/4" of room to hide a battery in the back. ALSO, I plan to re-paint the tank just how it is, and if I leave it on the rails I can continue the white stripe down the side of the seat with blue above and I think it'll look good. I would rather have them hidden but im optimistic about having them show as well. Worst case I put it on the rails, hate it, rip the fucker apart and re-do it...

You wouldn't have to split the entire seat. You could just widen the flat seat area. It will be covered by a seat pan/upholstered seat so it wouldn't have to be perfect.

From this:

WP_000504.jpg

To this:

widened.jpg

Fibber glass is easy. I'm not saying cut the seat in half. All you have to do is put a slice up the"seat" part. That part that will be covered so even of you do an ugly job nobody will see it. You won't find a seat that will fit right. I looked and looked and the one I found fit but the hump was all wrong. If you want I have a 100 frame and could fix it for you but i'm sure you can muster up the skill for this one. Nobody makes a direct fit for theses bikes and I would make one but I think you and I are the only people who bought a seat for our bike. :)

Back
Top Bottom