1982 Honda CB125s "El Matador" Build

T.Stanley

Been Around the Block
DTT BOTM WINNER
Hey DTT!!

Just finished another project and wanted to document the progression of the build in chronological order. This build is going to be named "El Matador".

Last year, I thought it would be a great idea to build a bike small enough for my wife "Cbass" to ride and big enough for me to f*ck around in. One day last fall while searching thru Craigslist, I found an abused 1982 Honda CB125s for sale. I called the owner, drove 44 miles to check out the bike and $300 bucks later, I was a proud owner of a POS. It didn't start, had a bunch of electronics missing, but it had good bones. I brought it back home and tucked it away til I had time for it.

Fast forward to May of 2014, I decided to start the rebuild. Gathered a list and started buying parts.

1982 Honda CB125s Parts/Task list:

Lifan 200cc 12v motor with Electric Start
Original Rebuilt 1982 CB125s motor, +.50 bore Included
New Jug, piston, rings, pins
Upgraded 30mm Keihih Carbs
Re-jet for Trumpet exhaust and Pods
1974 Cb125s Tank
New OEM Petcock
70's Red Flake inspired Paint Job
Custom Seat and Upholstry
Custom Seat Hoop
Custom Battery Box
Custom Taillight Bracket
Integrated Tailight/Turn Signals
Powdercoat frame, hoops, trees, misc parts
De-tab frame
Chrome Superbike Bars
LED Speedo/Idiot Lights
Antigravity Battery
12v Conversion (CB350 Stator, Soild State Rectifier/Regulator combo from DTT member)
Rebuild Front Forks
12.5in Rear Shocks
Michelin Gazelle Tires
New Spokes for Wheels
New Front and Rear Wheel Bearings
New Swing Arm Bearings
New D.I.D. Gold Chain
New Front/Rear Sprockets 15t/35t
New Foot Peg
Rebuild Control Switches
New Brake and Clutch Levers
New Clutch Cable
New Speedometer Cable
New Brake Cable
New Front and Rear Brake Shoes
New Headlight w/5002 Conversion
New Stainless Steel Bolts, Nuts, etc.

Here's how she looked before I tore her down:

Cut rear subframe and welded new seat hoop with a custom taillight bracket made from scrap sheet metal:

I had friend Neil at Nine Iron Designs in Laguna Woods, CA weld a battery box for me. He did an amazing job!!

Old wheel bearings removed from hubs. Parts ready for powdercoating. Stock front fender shortend and reshaped.

- Engine rebuilt w/.50 overbore
- 12v conversion
- All Balls Steering Bearings
- Superbike Bars
- Will be using all new stainless bolts throughout engine

New Points
New Condensor
2ohm Resistor on 6v Coil
Superbike Bars
New Headlight Ears
Rebuild Front Shocks
New Rear 12.5 Rear Shocks
New OEM Passenger Pegs
New Thailand Rubber Foot Pegs
All Balls Steering Bearings

Custom Seatpan Re-upholstered
New Stainless Steel Spokes and Nipples
Wheels Laced by Wheel Works in Garden Grove, CA
New Michellin Gazelle M62 Tires
Carbs Rebuilt with Pods and 98 Main Jets
Biltwell Grips
BikeMaster Mirrors
Dime City LED Speedo w/Idiot Lights
Dime City Shorty Exhaust (however it sounds like shit, replacing it with a Trumpet Exhaust)
New Brake Shoes Front and Rear
Shortend Front Fender
New Stainless Steel Bolts and Nuts throughout Engine and Top Trees etc.
New Ignition Switch with Repo Vintage Honda Key
New Speedo, Clutch, and Brake Cable
New GP Style Levers
Rear LED Cateye Taillight with intergrated turn signals
New OEM CB100 Wiring Harness

Everything is pretty much put together and just gotta figure out the wiring. Waiting for the tank and headlight bucket from painter.

That looks like a nice little beauty there. What happened with the .50 over that you're wanting/needing to swap over a Lifan? Also, does the '82 model use the internal throttle assembly as earlier CB models do? If so, how did you get the controls to work with those bars?

coyote13 said:
That looks like a nice little beauty there. What happened with the .50 over that you're wanting/needing to swap over a Lifan? Also, does the '82 model use the internal throttle assembly as earlier CB models do? If so, how did you get the controls to work with those bars?

This CB125 does not use an internal throttle assembly. It uses a throttle tube connected to the right OEM controls.

The bike needed a bit more power for our California roads. The 200cc fit the bill and has enough power to scare me a bit.

Motor swapped in and has been a blast to ride. Bike has plenty of power now. Will post pictures shortly.

Back
Top Bottom