A-65 DeadTail Restart

seen this? its like damascus steel but with Ti.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 10.43.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 10.43.47 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 305
doc_rot said:
seen this? its like damascus steel but with Ti.

Must be several grades of Ti forged into damascus... you don't do that in the garage, very cool.

I have a good stack of 3 X 35mm thick Ti bar stock, I plan to make a few knives out of, wish I had some of that material ::)

It's a proprietary metal called Timascus and it's pretty popular amongst knife makers. Not made in the same way as Damascus since it's done with heat and pressure in a box and it's made from two or three different titanium alloys.

https://www.alphaknifesupply.com/timascus.htm

If my pile I got a super good deal on was worth what that shit sells for I'd have a 25 thousand dollar bill in my pocket :eek: and no knife lol

It just may be possible tho to make a small pocket knife size chunk with the several grades of Ti I do have, wonder if I made a stack out of bar stock and 2 different grades sheet stock and weld the edges then just set it up on a chunk of I beam and melt it with the tig torch sort of a puddle... then soon as it solidifies stab it into hot sand to slow cool.

Lotta work lol

Haha. Yeah, lots of work apparently in making that stuff. One of the dudes that invented it burned his shop down with liquid titanium in one of their iterations.

irk miller said:
Haha. Yeah, lots of work apparently in making that stuff. One of the dudes that invented it burned his shop down with liquid titanium in one of their iterations.

So do it outside then... got it ;D

What would I need for a crucible the ones on eBay are rated for 2500deg and Ti melts at 3025 <> can I push the cheap one with a good glaze ??

You need a crucible beyond your heat rate. They're usually made from silicon carbide and melt and crack beyond rated heat. You need a high alumina crucible to hit above 3000°.

https://www.coleparmer.com/p/coorstek-high-form-crucibles-high-alumina/48239

Well this irk trick brake setup for the CB front is slick shit .

Seems the pattern is common and the Brembo disk lashed right up, needs a 3-4mm spacer behind the rotor to get it dead on with the CB offset but it's gonna work slick.

2ba9c88c34037b32b2929df41779e243.jpg

18653609b351a02e8800a24a4f65c827.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Thanks! irk's plan I'm just executing it my way.

First shot at a hanger bracket it's a little more complex than the cardboard but if I can find a metal beaver to make it it's simple.

37cc2f3e7f6ba4332993666cee3dffb2.jpg

a86b689b0a3dee5faaae580cc4834c15.jpg

Problem with ti is the violent oxidization at high temperature in active atmosphere, needs to be molten and cast in inert atmosphere.
It even self combusts in the right conditions.
Also i wonder, does it really make good cutting edges? Its either real tough and soft or very brittle. I understood titanium comes in 8 grades of alloy from soft to hard, that what you mean Tuna? Would be nice to weld in a red hard ti edge on a tougher backbone.

datadavid said:
Problem with ti is the violent oxidization at high temperature in active atmosphere, needs to be molten and cast in inert atmosphere.
It even self combusts in the right conditions.
Also i wonder, does it really make good cutting edges? Its either real tough and soft or very brittle. I understood titanium comes in 8 grades of alloy from soft to hard, that what you mean Tuna? Would be nice to weld in a red hard ti edge on a tougher backbone.

Yessir!, after reading and watching some footage I'd have to make a gas chamber out of a blast cabinet to do the process and in the end i'd have a really neat looking useless knife for digging dirt out of my fingernails :-\ ... onto something else. I think I'm gonna make a set of Ti dice to hang from my rear view mirror hahhaaa!

Thanks mang!

Okay, so I got the bracket roughed out and all is good, but I need to hog down those backside dogs all the way to .6mm from the flat part... that's it I'm done. Bad part is getting the lower into a shop that will do it, people here are sorta picky and don't like little shit jobs, but I'm gonna try.

ba04b803df92be27b23059eb6c288946.jpg

726a268b90f5e7a36c96ba34f3eed274.jpg

efb70405244f81d7effb9a7d3f530f11.jpg

The lower dog has the bracket land near as I can feel and see perfect to the face of the rotor.

a450660943a1c4f90dca1df65fd5469b.jpg

While I'm figuring out ways to grind the fork leg for the brake mount with some precision and not fuck it up!

I needed to get the oil lines done up... well I just don't like hose clamps so I got an AN4 90 and a weld in bung so why not see if I can get the temps right and solder this copper to mild ... well after a too hot attempt, cleaned it all up again slathered the flux on and heated er up slow(r) and as soon as the lead free solidified I pulled the heat and I'll be damn it took like soldering up a brass fitting

Pics after hitting with jewelers file and wire brush.

2b19120110b6fd865fdd9ff143af05da.jpg

56850edcc5ef324dd326c5d896779146.jpg

ed41c80f738ac12c7130f021b20e0078.jpg

Now I have AN6 parts coming for supply and return also.

Tune-A-Fish© said:
While I'm figuring out ways to grind the fork leg for the brake mount with some precision and not fuck it up!

I needed to get the oil lines done up... well I just don't like hose clamps so I got an AN4 90 and a weld in bung so why not see if I can get the temps right and solder this copper to mild ... well after a too hot attempt, cleaned it all up again slathered the flux on and heated er up slow(r) and as soon as the lead free solidified I pulled the heat and I'll be damn it took like soldering up a brass fitting

Pics after hitting with jewelers file and wire brush.

2b19120110b6fd865fdd9ff143af05da.jpg

56850edcc5ef324dd326c5d896779146.jpg

ed41c80f738ac12c7130f021b20e0078.jpg

Now I have AN6 parts coming for supply and return also.

I know when guys fit a second brake to cb550 legs, they usually just use a file and lots of checking. I was making fixtures to mount it via the axle clamp and seal surface to do the machining on a Bridgeport, but eventually gave up on the whole project.

hurco550 said:
I know when guys fit a second brake to cb550 legs, they usually just use a file and lots of checking. I was making fixtures to mount it via the axle clamp and seal surface to do the machining on a Bridgeport, but eventually gave up on the whole project.

I have a really small HF chop saw and I think I'll take that apart and make a bracket to mount it to the fork leg and using shim washers on the swing I can cutt it close and square as I can then do the same for a file jig, kind of like a thumb wheel adjuster with hard steel then file until the file is in contact with the steel and running true, just keep adjusting down until its money.

Seems like a lot of work and it is, but I don't have access to any machines or the skills to run them ???

Went ahead with the first leg, started out to implement my plan when my dremel caught my eye... so armed with a fresh cut off wheel, laid out the cut started it with a hacksaw using the bracket as a guide then went on with the cuts... came out about a mm proud so the file was used to square it all up and get things lined up. After some filing adjustments I got a prototype bracket and it lines up.... almost perfect. I did all my bracket layout with the dang leg about 1/2 an inch up in the trees, so one more cardboard template and one more bracket to fab up and that is done. Next will be to do the whole thing again on the new (to me) leg

30659ddd9870c2d52db06acb6152b247.jpg

7cd2c8be8a7c4294e6a91e0186038cfb.jpg

7897f8f717213d9e62d7cdd178fa7a8b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom