Sweep The Floor Bike #2

scott s

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
A couple of years ago I looked around the garage and realized I had enough leftovers to build a "sweep the floor" bike. That's exactly what I did and BOY was it fun! I rode it for about a year and a half and then sold it on eBay.

Well, last Summer it dawned on me that I could do it again! It took me quite a while to find a titled frame. My original intent was to use a stock wiring harness, side covers, etc., and slap this thing together very quickly and very cheaply.
However....things rarely go as planned. The frame I ended up with was already detabbed and the triangle opened up. Hmmm, this is going to force me to go a little more wild and step up my game a bit.

The biggest hurdle (for me, anyway, because I can't weld) is getting some sort of support welded on where the passenger pegs were. I'll be using Tarozzi rear sets and they use the passenger peg mounts just as a support.

Anyway, the real purpose of starting this thread is to keep me motivated and get me on track. I have a couple of small projects to wrap up (that will help fund this build) and then I plan on really getting the ball rolling.
I tend to lurk here more than I post. Last year, I really enjoyed watching all the excitement build up to Barber. I've been going to the Aces Corner every year and seeing the bikes that I followed online in person.
It is my intent....even if it's a long shot...to have this bike there with you guys this year. Follow along and wish me luck!

Here are a couple of bikes I'm using as inspiration. I have a KZ650 tail piece that I picked up on a junkyard crawl WAY back when. I also picked up one of the Suzuki dirt bike headlights.

My build will be based around a CB550 engine and frame.
I have some NOS "Pop" Yoshimura high compression pistons, a CB650 cam shaft, Pamco ignition, Kerker header, Nighthawk oil cooler, etc., etc.

All of this stuff has been in my garage, leftovers from other projects, came in boxes of spares, etc., etc.

I've been sitting on these for a while now, just waiting to use them. I nabbed them from eBay a few years ago from someone who didn't really know what he had.
Very rare Henry Abe wheels.

They've been stripped and powder coated. I just need to "build" them. I have new All Balls bearings that have been in my freezer for months, just waiting on me to get moving.

About the only thing I've done so far is to install the races in the steering stem. Swingarm bushings should be here this week. Soon, I'll be able to make it a roller and start mock up.

I've got a few other goodies and ideas I'll reveal as the project moves along. Mostly, I'm looking forward to possibly being more than an observer at Barber/Aces Corner this year.

Slow going....
I pulled out the swing arm today and degreased it and went over it with a wire brush. I was going to cut off the chain guard tabs but my Dad has my grinder.
I'll be installing new bushings soon.

I also have a couple of sets of CB750 forks that I picked up in a package deal. The seals look good on these, so I stripped off the clear coat. I'll probably give them a satin/brushed finish, but may paint them. Undecided yet. I DON'T think I'll polish them.
New fork oil and dust seals soon.

Just a little more work on these and I can make it a roller. I need someone to weld on some sort of tab/support where the rear peg mounts were. The Tarozzi rear sets use those points for support and mine are gone.
That, and shaving the top triple tree clamp so I can finish installing neck bearings, and I'll really be able to start mocking stuff up and moving forward.

Since I'm running the high CR pistons, I'm going to use the Nighthawk oil cooler that I've had for a long time. I'll probably need a small tab welded on for that, too. And then figure out what to do about a battery mount and electronics tray.
Since I can't weld, these are the things that will slow me down as far as getting the frame ready for paint and installing the engine. I think it'll go fairly quickly once I reach those milestones.

Got the grinder and made quick work of the tabs on the swingarm.

Not the prettiest job in the world, but it didn't cost me anything. Clip ons only from here on out!
I'll have to use a little filler in a couple of spots where the grinder slipped. REALLY glad I decided to wear leather gloves!

Re: Re: Sweep The Floor Bike #2

scott s said:
I've been sitting on these for a while now, just waiting to use them. I nabbed them from eBay a few years ago from someone who didn't really know what he had.
Very rare Henry Abe wheels.

They've been stripped and powder coated. I just need to "build" them. I have new All Balls bearings that have been in my freezer for months, just waiting on me to get moving.

Those are pretty funky. What are they from?

Those are Henry Abe aftermarket wheels. Pretty rare. I'd say more rare than Lester mags. They're specifically for the CB550. The 18" rear is especially rare. It seems that back in the day everyone was putting 16" rear wheels and chopper handlebars on their bikes. Now, it's hard to find the vintage wheels in an 18" rear.

I decided to go with a semi-satin finish on the forks. Just a little SkotchBrite pad and then some clear coat.
I'm waiting on new dust shields and I have to figure out what forks these are so I know how much oil to use. I know they're CB750, but not sure what year. Different years use different amounts of oil. Anyone have a clue?

A little dab of filler where the grinder got away from me a little bit...

...and a little self etching primer...

That'll do just fine and it didn't cost me a cent.

Got the tapered bearings pressed on.

And bronze swing arm bushings installed.

Found out that one of the bolt holes on the lower triple tree has some buggered up or cross threaded threads. Sure wish I had known that when it was all apart!
My buddy has a thread chaser, tap/die set. I'll take the frame up there and clean up the threads.

Forks are up in the triples because they're CB750 forks. The part below the triple is the same length as a stock CB550. I'll see how it feels once I get rear sets installed and a seat built, but I now have the option of running the clip on's on top of the triple tree.

And, we have a roller! I still have to install the brake stay, rod, etc. The plan is to get the engine in and take it up to 2Topia cycles so Nate and the gang can weld up some rear set supports. While it's there, I'll probably go ahead and have the top end done (Hi Comp. pistons, 650 cam, rebuilt head, etc.), and have a small tab made for the NightHawk oil cooler.

Once I get it home from there, it should really move fast!

Man....it's been a long time since I updated this thread. The bike took a back seat for a little while but recently I've gotten some stuff done.

Mitch at Vulgar Cycles fabbed up this nifty metal seat pan for me. He also made some hangers for the rear sets, a few random brackets, a battery box for the Ballistic 8 cell battery, an electronics tray, etc.

The battery will be located on the swing arm.

I'm working on getting the Nighthawk oil cooler finished. The mounts are there and, despite how it looks, it clears the exhaust by a mile.

I have to machine out this raised portion on the adapter plate. It will then fit over the stock boss on the lower engine case and bolt right up.

The wiring harness is laid and about 85% of the connections are done. There's a little bit of work to do to get everything located in the tray and battery power where it needs to be.
I ordered a combination regulator/rectifier today, as well as a Danmoto Nano digital cockpit.

Here it is as of yesterday. The CB1100F shocks made a HUGE difference in the stance. The forks are CB750, so they're longer than 550 shocks. That enabled me to run the clip ons on top of the triple tree. I lowered the front end just a few mm's over the stock CB550 height. That, along with the shocks, gives me a nice stance without really screwing up the stock geometry too much.

Back
Top Bottom