CB360 - Clean and simple

I wonder if this is how the valve got bent?
Dpgzo9o.jpg

New rings! (ended up breaking one of the oil rings so I had to reuse one of the old ones :mad: ... they looked to be in good shape though)
5XSv73P.jpg

0.020" on one cylinder
Wq4q90D.jpg

0.017" on the other
TVFPy3a.jpg

Seems right? square one on the top, notched in the middle, oil on the bottom (this is the used one) All the stamps are on top
mWnHgFt.jpg

One down
EWTm7nh.jpg

(not so) funny story trying to get the first piston in... dropped the C clip into the crankcase trying to put it in... How lucky is this?
gI9RgQ4.jpg

Both pistons in
sDwJswh.jpg

Clocked the ring gaps as such
SEMWtFX.jpg

z0BmS1i.jpg

Got the cylinders on as a bonus
JH3cqbi.jpg

Also started putting the side bits on
noUK1le.jpg

PujCr5a.jpg

ijtpmXi.jpg

Looks nice. Before you put the head on, confirm that the smaller pitch of the valve springs is adjacent to the head. I can't tell from the angle of your photo.

Nice work on that engine. Looks fantastic. You might want to flip the valve springs, though. The tighter coils go closer to the head. :)

Nope, nothing better than that. I would modify further around next time and not so 'deep'
When I said I went too far, it refers to the spring seating.
The spring isn't supported in the area's I ground down to the inner wall.
In the picture of rings on piston, middle ring is upside down. There is a slight taper so it will 'seal' on the upstroke and probably pump oil into the combustion chamber

Turnturtle said:
Looks nice. Before you put the head on, confirm that the smaller pitch of the valve springs is adjacent to the head. I can't tell from the angle of your photo.

Sonreir™ said:
Nice work on that engine. Looks fantastic. You might want to flip the valve springs, though. The tighter coils go closer to the head. :)

Thanks for the attention to detail! I realized that after I put it together but didn't get a new picture :-\

redwillissuperman said:
Did you do the "required" oil pump mod?

@crazypj might have better pictures

Not yet, it's on the list of things to do when I clean up that cover.

crazypj said:
Nope, nothing better than that. I would modify further around next time and not so 'deep'
When I said I went too far, it refers to the spring seating.
The spring isn't supported in the area's I ground down to the inner wall.
In the picture of rings on piston, middle ring is upside down. There is a slight taper so it will 'seal' on the upstroke and probably pump oil into the combustion chamber

Are you sure? The manufactures mark is on top.. I have it set up like this

Top of piston
_
|
-----
| <- Square ring on the top
|
-----
|
---
|_
| <- Notched ring in the middle, notched side up
-----
|
-----
|
0000 <- Oil ring on the bottom
|
-----
|
|
_|

Bottom of piston

PJ thanks so much! Turns out you were right, I pulled the cylinders off to check and ended up putting the markings facing down...

Unfortunately, one of the oil rings got jammed up when I was putting it back together and not only broke the ring, but scratched the cylinder
2yB1kjf.jpg

I honed it as much as I was comfortable and the ring gap is now roughly 0.024

It still catches my fingernail a little but I can't see light under the ring and it's and it's so low on the cylinder I'm thinking (/hoping) it doesn't end up being a problem...
RDe25d3.jpg

Finally got it all back together with the last oil ring I have and then realized something.

In my quest to break all my rings, anyone guess where these go? :(
MClMQyw.jpg

Cylinders had to come back off to put them on
0HR3xO6.jpg

At this point I was able to get it back together without breaking anything else - pistons move smoothly, hopefully no more drama.

Too much carnage for one night
Dh54HUc.jpg

Following the theme of forgetting to put stuff where it goes...
2Ymqqdd.jpg

I also got a new one of those castle washer things since I sheared one of the teeth getting the old one out - it'd probably still work but might as well replace it
IPMwVLs.jpg

Everything in where it belongs
hEr4xUL.jpg

Seems I don't have a new o-ring for the oil filter so I'll have to order one of those.

Got the clutch put back together too
I2t5dSD.jpg

Took some time to clean up the space, put down fresh cardboard, make sure I didn't end up with surprise left over parts etc.
BHVnxrU.jpg

Lastly, I couldn't help but to take a sneak peak of how it will look assembled - I'm debating if it's too much of the dark color on the side ???
dNRBmgv.jpg

Took me 3 or 4 tries to get my 360 engine back together the first time, I feel your pain.

The paint scheme looks a bit backwards... It might look better with the darker shade on the crankcases/top end and lighter color on the side covers. Or, polish the sidecovers and keep the color of the cases as they are now. Just my .02

Large O-rings around cylinders.
As long as your 100% sure the oil rings are installed properly on the pistons AND believe the original O-rings are in usable condition.
I wouldnt be too concerned about installing new o-rings now, that shes already gone together.

11494-290317055928.png

advCo said:
Took me 3 or 4 tries to get my 360 engine back together the first time, I feel your pain.

The paint scheme looks a bit backwards... It might look better with the darker shade on the crankcases/top end and lighter color on the side covers. Or, polish the sidecovers and keep the color of the cases as they are now. Just my .02

Yeah, still debating about the color - having media blasted the covers, I'd have a long way to go to polish them... we'll see

trek97 said:
Large O-rings around cylinders.
As long as your 100% sure the oil rings are installed properly on the pistons AND believe the original O-rings are in usable condition.
I wouldnt be too concerned about installing new o-rings now, that shes already gone together.

The issue was that I had already removed the old ones... they were pretty rough. It's cool though, already took it back apart and got it back together with the new o-rings

redwillissuperman said:
I would have the cylinder honed and get new rings to gap. You are going to have compression problems.

I hope not. I think it might look worse than it is... Plus, at bottom dead center it only shows about 1/2" above the piston, so hopefully it's far enough away from magic that it doesn't cause problems
zNDkVnj.jpg

tnum said:
I hope not. I think it might look worse than it is... Plus, at bottom dead center it only shows about 1/2" above the piston, so hopefully it's far enough away from magic that it doesn't cause problems
zNDkVnj.jpg

Thats a direct path past the rings called blow by.

redwillissuperman said:
Get an oversized ring pack, hone the cylinder, and file fit New rings.

I'm going to put the head on and then do a leak down test - that will let me check my valves too. If I'm getting reasonable readings at bottom dead center (comparable to the other cylinder) I'll just leave it. Have to wait for the new valve to come in though.

In the mean time I made this unboxing video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTfLc9238vA

Mail time!
YtF1c0y.jpg

Since valves are expensive and I only needed one, I found this head on eBay for $30 with all the valves!

Unfortunately, one exhaust stud was broken off in the hole and the other hole was broken out of the head :(
OvfML8v.jpg

Also I think these fins got broken in shipping as they weren't listed in the auction
rkeY1ke.jpg

Regardless, it had what I needed:
1LUkYBN.jpg

Some cleaning and it looks pretty good
XmqPI9Z.jpg

A quick lapping put a nice fresh mating surface on it
nKQaG2E.jpg

All four valves are in now, yay!
s1kNRwr.jpg

RN9XU7T.jpg

Except in my mission to break all the rings, who remembers where these go? :mad:
Cwi6Qdw.jpg

Yep, cylinders had to come back off...
eu0SSbv.jpg

...and back on
5VR5giY.jpg

Fresh head gasket 8)
tpKjOPO.jpg

Guides and guide seals installed
ADRAhYS.jpg

Head in place
fCVs21Y.jpg

Cleaned these up a bit
I85EF7N.jpg

1JTX0gi.jpg

Hand tight
jzBQwAJ.jpg

Getting closer! :D
YdJLq1m.jpg

P.S.
This was in the new head I got, any ideas?
s4lzCNz.jpg

wdzHuQu.jpg

P.S.S
Anyone have the torque specs and tightening pattern for the head bolts? Leak down test to come once I get everything torqued.

If one is really dead set on welding those fins back straight, it can be done. Ask me how I know... :-\
And that little 3 ball clutch lifter component is pretty valuable. They're prone to warpage due to misadjustment of the clutch mechanism. If yours is in good condition you may be able to resell it.

Supergyro said:
If one is really dead set on welding those fins back straight, it can be done. Ask me how I know... :-\
And that little 3 ball clutch lifter component is pretty valuable. They're prone to warpage due to misadjustment of the clutch mechanism. If yours is in good condition you may be able to resell it.

Nice!

Supergyro said:
Tightening sequence and torques from the shop manual.

This is perfect.. thank you so much

Back
Top Bottom