1977 KZ400 Build "Logan's Run"

I've long contemplated a fairing for my KZ, I'd love to see some full bike shots as soon as it's mocked up! I really want to get a feel for the whole picture. Nice work so far man, keep it up.

Not quite a full bike shot, but if you get the movie "STONE" you'll see some brand new Z1's with these fairings

PhotoID16411.jpg

I love that paint job. Hmmmmmm 8)

I'm also thinking of removing all the badges and filling in the tank badge mounts before painting. I only have the KZ400 badge for one side cover anyway. I kinda like the idea of people having to take a close look to try and figure out what your bike is. ;)

Cool paint job on that fairing! You could fade silver to red that would look wicked! That looks like EXACTLY the same fairing, too.

hillsy said:
Not quite a full bike shot, but if you get the movie "STONE" you'll see some brand new Z1's with these fairings

PhotoID16411.jpg

Yeah I've seen them on the bigger bikes, I'm jsut concerened it will overwhelm my little 400...

I'll get some pics on wednesday even if I have to use some duct tape to hold in place. ;) Hopefully I'll get some mounting brackets fabbed up but I never know which part of the bike I'm gonna work on till the mood strikes. ;D

I think it looks good on your bike. The wind screen might need to be trimmed down a bit is all.

I've decided to make a new seat pan for my gas tank bum stop. I'm using some 3/4 OD tubing bent to match the bends on the frame and welding the rear part of the old gas tank to the new frame. Here's a pic of a quick mock up along with the 1/4 fairing on the front to give you a better idea of scale on the KZ400.

Bike.jpg

Unfortunately it looks like I'm ditching the rear fender and I'll just use the license plate as a fender but I'm keeping the inner fender to protect from road debris and water. I'll probably hold on to the chrome rear fender for possible future projects since I do love the shape of the duck tail.

Yup. I think putting the duck-tail back on is the way to go. The fairing looks "right"...paint will pull it all together.
Lookin' good!
-KR

i know this is against the grain, but out here in the rockies, I have come to love big arse screens. At least "double bubbles". We get really hammered by wind out here in the mountains, and a high screen makes all the difference. I'll take function over form any day.

j

Wow, now I know how not to cafe a KZ400. Check out this "cafe" on Ebay... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-kz400-kz400-cafe-racer-bobber-chopper-alloy-tank-no-reserve_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3ca8eb1b90QQitemZ260532018064QQptZUSQ5fmotorcycles

noahdog said:
Wow, now I know how not to cafe a KZ400. Check out this "cafe" on Ebay... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-kz400-kz400-cafe-racer-bobber-chopper-alloy-tank-no-reserve_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3ca8eb1b90QQitemZ260532018064QQptZUSQ5fmotorcycles

That's a "fusion" bike. You know - cafe / bobber fusion....

He certainly has gone to a lot of effort to make it quite....ugly ::)

I got the turn signals from Hong Kong finally and got them installed last night. I know they're very modern for a retro cafe but I think when it's all done it will givie the bike a cool 70's futuristic look.

P1060011.jpg

P1060012.jpg

P1060014.jpg

The rear end will look much better once I get the tail light/plate holder installed. The license plate will act as a rear fender. I also finalized the plans for my seat frame. Now I just need some time to get it all cut and welded together.

After getting nothing done for what seems like weeks I finally got the frame for my seat welded up. Now I just need to strip the paint off the gas tank rear end that I'm using for the bum stop and get it ready to weld on and bondo.

Here's some pics

P1200001.jpg

P1200002.jpg

P1200003.jpg

P1200004.jpg

The plan is to have snaps along the sides, across the bum stop and under the front lip to attach the cover once I get my wife to sew it for me. I also need to find a nice 1" closed cell foam for the padding.

I still need to cut out a template for the sheet metal top that I will weld to the top of the seat frame and make a plate for the back rest on the bum stop.

Looking real good, I toyed with the fairing idea for my KZ as well, I think it's going to look great. Love the seat progress.

I haven't been on here for a while and it's nice to see all the KZ400s!

Gryph said:
Looking real good, I toyed with the fairing idea for my KZ as well, I think it's going to look great. Love the seat progress.

I haven't been on here for a while and it's nice to see all the KZ400s!

There does seem to be a recent outbreak of KZ400 projects around here lately. ;D It's been very helpful checking out all the other builds.

Comming along nicely noah.
I also like to see some more KZs getting modded in this sea of Hondas. ;)
You'll appreciate having the fairing at speed.
I've had a few different ones on for a number of years.
Even started a season without one, but soon put it back on.
8)

Got a little bit of work done. I got the sheet metal pan cut out and bent to fit the new seat frame and started stripping and sanding the gas tank bum stop.

P1240016.jpg

Back
Top Bottom