NEVERWAS-Yamaha Reality Perforator

Re: Yamaha XS800

158 views and no comments?
Anyway, did a bit of work on it today, made new rear fender mounts (gonna be trick ;))
here's light I'm going to use, with indicators to keep things somewhat 'legal' ;D
4inchlightandindicators.jpg

Here's stock XS650 light that I'm going to fit to the CB378 and mini light for comparison. Stock light isn't damaged, just reflection of overhead florescent tube in ~2 o'clock position
XSandminilight.jpg

PJ

Love the small light. Is that the 4.25" you mentioned earlier? Looks like h4 bulb?

Yep, its 4.25" across the mountings, the light is 4".
Cut up some angle to make brackets to make brackets (spent a buch of time looking for 2" alloy, when I found it, I didnt like look of it. ::)
Its a 60/55w H4, when I use them as duals I use FZR1000 Genesis bulbs (H4, 35/35w).

PJ

whao.. pretty cool.. I'll be watching this one pretty darn closely...

something to report ;D
worked on bike for quite a few hours today
Finally got rear mudguard more or less the way I want it.
Still needs some work and tail light needs finishing
will post pics when I get them on photobucket.
I think it looks pretty good.
I'm probably going to cut the back off the frame (again, maybe?)
May leave it as I think I'm going to make a high level exhaust and may need something to mount it to?
Been looking at various XS650 sites, including the chopper/bobber ones.
No-one has anything close to what I'm building.
Got some idea's I'm going to try out, wouldnt work on a cafe, may not work on a 'bobber'
I know it will work as I've done it before on a trail bike so concept is sound.
Was channel surfing this morning while having breakfast, seems the closest thing I can come up with as a 'style' is steampunk, only without the leather and brass. :D
Bike is definitely evolving away from 'bratsyle' ;D ;D

PJ

Pics of rear mudguard. Was only tacked up hen I took them, now welded into position
And....................................
today a large box of parts turned up from friend in Ma :eek:
I get to keep forks, calipers and yokes for making spacers to fit Talon motocross hub into Suzuki GSXR fork then make adapter to fit that rotor to hub :eek: ;D ;D

PJ
Rearmudgaurd1.jpg
Rearmudgaurd2.jpg
Forksandhub.jpg

I'm digging that mudguard, been following your the other thread as well, interested in see how you engine comes out. Hard to tell from the pic but does it sit on your swingarm with the axle bolt going through at the centre parts of the radial brackets to hold in on there? I like it.

Jay

jay_kent said:
I'm digging that mudguard, been following your the other thread as well, interested in see how you engine comes out. Hard to tell from the pic but does it sit on your swingarm with the axle bolt going through at the centre parts of the radial brackets to hold in on there? I like it.

Jay

Hi Jay, yep, I made it to sit so close to tyre it has to move with wheel so is centered on axle.
There is a plat at front to prevent any rotation forwards, (counterclockwise) going to make a 'cup' to locate under bottom of swing arm cross piece so it cant move clockwise.
Its 'normal' thing with rigid frame to have fender centered on wheel but I'm not sure its ever been done before with a swing arm?

PJ

JRK5892 said:
man... i am jealous of those forks! looks good!

Don't know what I'm going to fit them on yet ;)
Maybe Katana , it has blue wheels stock :D
I've got a pair of Yamaha YZF forks as well which were originally going on Kat, they may end up on the XS860 as that was always going to be a sorta cafe' bike, in hich case I'll have a spare pair of Katana forks :eek:

Anyway, back to XS800 'thing'
Bought some more steel tube and some red oak, if I can fabricate what I can imagine, it will look pretty awesome, (even if I do say so myself 8) ;D)
Pulling motor back out to do some welding on frame so may be a few weeks before shift gets mocked up (this needs mocking up as I dont know if what I'm thinking is even possible? )
Finally decided for definite, (maybe :-\)
I'm going to make a rear stand, its been in and out of plans for a long time. (more than 2 yrs)
If I do that I'll need rear of frame as a lifting handle so it 'may' not get removed (again)
probably going to be single seat only
Also decided its NOT going to be various shades of Black (matte/satin/gloss) with some machined stainless steel and aluminium parts (which was original plan)
Now I've actually looked at what other people are doing I realise almost everybody has a black 'bobber' ::)
Its a 'standard issue' colour :D
It will probably be single colour using various shades
I got some idea's after looking at the Japanese show pics (Loungin at da club, http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531546)
There really wasn't much innovation, but, what was 'different' got me thinking although the OTT multicoloured things are just too 'out there' for me
all for now,

PJ

Cut up some alloy plate to make garchange linkage for 800, then cut out blank to make adapter for Ryan.
I'm going to be 'proud' owner of 1994 GSXR750 forks tomorrow (the blue ones ;D)
All machining is finished except for drilling six 6mm mounting holes to hub and five 8mm tapped holes for rotor.
will get pics of finished part tomorrow, when its finished ;D
some pics
adapter blank roughed out, over an hour with saw, its six inch diameter and three quarter inch thick!
adapterblank1.jpg

Little over half done, the rotor has 80mm hole in middle, the hub is too narrow and has 118mm mounting flange,
Adapter is 17mm thick to put rotor in line with caliper and hub 'centered' in forks
adapter7.jpg
Talonhub4.jpg

midnightcafe said:
beastly. gonna be tricky replacing that rear tire eh?

dead easy, pull axle, fender slides back inch or so, lifts off.
Going to make wiring quick disconnect.

PJ

cut up a bunch of 1/4" thick plate into 3" wide stips.
I was going to do some drilling and welding but got sidetracked cleaning up garage and then polishing front hub for 378 ::)

PJ

Haven't decided yet, either on the cross piece for handlebars or cantilevered off top yoke where the ignition switch was originally bolted on.

PJ

well, as posted in the CB360 thread, I got hurt in work in October and steadily got worse so havent done much of anything.
Blood pressure has been 'through the roof' (and seems to b geting higher since I STARTED taking medication, up around 152 over 104 :eek:)
Today though I did get the seams filed off handlebar mounts and milled recess in bars for clamping screw.
Managed to drill a few holes in plates last weekend, and milled some 1/4" plate rear stand.
I only worked for 1 hour and was exhausted.
Got new extra long drive chain on order for 800 and ordered chain and tyres for CB378.
Will get some pics posted soon.
Just realised that I dont have a pic of basic bike so here it is
XS800-1.jpg

PJ

Well, I haven't been able to do a great deal of physical work on bike but it doesn't stop me thinking or researching.
I've done a little detail work but heavy stuff is still in limbo.
I've made some 'modifications' to headlight and I think I'm going to switch back to low bars :-\
I think I have colour scheme worked out after watching Top Gear with 'race' between Vincent, Jaguar and steam train.
Today new drive chain and headlight bulbs came in so I can finally position chain tensioner, and, I found this little gem, steampunk themed 'on board navigation stystem' ;D

PJ
closed
Brasscompass1.jpg

open
Brasscompass2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom