71' CB500 monoshock with no name...O2 sensor success!

MotorbikeBruno

Over 1,000 Posts
I suppose I'll start a thread on this poor bike I picked up. Got her for a steal, without a title, but called before I picked it up to ask about the VIN. Free and clear, title in my hand and name. Time to get to work. Cleaned out the carbs, got her running, ran her around the block and through all the gears, no issues so the teardown begins. Here's where I started, and where I'm at.

Here's how I got her!
2rightside.jpg

Running now...
7runningfirsttime.jpg

HAD TO CHANGE THE PAINT COLOR OF THAT TANK! (and fix the dents etc...)

12Teardown1.jpg

Getting down to the business...
11Coverpage.jpg

Used my tubing bender to make a new rear "hoop" went with a squared off look for the time being, I like it.

15tailhoop.jpg

And here's where I'm at today. More to come. As always, I don't mind suggestions but don't feel bad if I don't do what you say :p :p :p

18rearoff.jpg

I've been mulling around a monoshock idea for now, but I think the twin shocks are part of what a tracker looks like (just my opinion). I may still do it as I like a challenge. Thanks for looking gents.

Re: Well, time to try my hand at a tracker. 71' CB500..eh?

And where I've ended up today. Got the passenger peg plates off, filled in rear hoop and the inner fender butts up to it (goes on top really) so no crud/water will go past it.

Swinger with crap cleaned off it. Sooo much sludge.

19swingarmcleanup.jpg

Rear hoop filled in with my version of a "fender" for now.

22rearhoopfillin.jpg

Cleaning up the forks. I'm trying something new to clean up the top as they were pitted a bit. Hopefully it works out well. Seals should be here tomorrow, so I can get a move on the front end. My plan is to have that in working order, the way they should be, so that when I put the engine back in, I can mock up the Monoshock better. Oh, yeah I decided to try a monoshock approach...we'll see how it goes.

24forkcleanup.jpg

Anyone ever heard of these guys? http://www.disastermotors.com/collections/all

Found a "full" gasket set for $64 + shipping. Pretty reasonable since everyone else wants 75 or 90 for the Athena one...

Thanks man! Every once and a while you feel like you are talking to yourself! Engine gasket set ordered up, and fork seals should be here today.

Good start so far.

Cheers,

Maritime

Thanks man! Dennis Kirk got these to me today. Bought them last night around 7pm! Free holiday shipping!

P1017833.jpg

They didn't have the rear wheel bearings in stock, so I'll wait for those until later. Anybody got thoughts on tires. I would like some tires that aren't TOO aggressive, since most of it's life will still be on the street. Got some great cabin roads/dirt that she will see in the spring :)

I think there is some good shinkos in dual tread. Mike had them on his 650 chop he had for 30 mins.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, I'll take a look there.

Here's the forks now, still cleaning them up.

P1017836.jpg

Forks are coming along nicely. Still cleaning and working on the triple clamps.

shiny ;)
27forkpainting.jpg

And I've been convinced to go for a monoshock on this one. It's another challenge, and I've always liked the look. Looking for a shock at the moment. Been searching for 600 class shocks (cbr's etc) Here's the hoop I made out of 1 piece for strength. Got some cool ideas for how I want to do this, but realistically I need the shock here for any actual work to be done so it's not the exact length etc. and I may mock it all up and get some thicker tubing. Right now it's 16 Gauge.

28monoshockhoop.jpg

Looking good. Mono shock is gonna be sicks on this bike. Looking forward to see it progress.

I'm watching this, I always liked the look and practicality of a tracker!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I'm waiting on an ebay item to finish up today ;D

The CBR shock I have is over 11 inches. I found one that fits another bike (and it IS a monoshock bike) at 9 1/2" Which will help with a space issue I would like to address.

I forgot to upload these ones the other day. Here's some more.

Forks all cleaned up, new 20W fork oil to help with the old springs. Got em as tight as they go inside.
29forkoil.jpg

And starting the mockup, waiting on that shock (I hope I win!)
30monoshockmount.jpg

I used a Kawasaki Ninja 650 shock on my mono project. Most 600 shocks are meant to be used with linkage set up. I look forward to seeing progress with this bike.

Yeah, that was my exact thought, so I found one that didn't use linkage like that. Do you remember the length on the 650 shock you used? (eye to eye) And do you have a link to your build thread? I may already be subscribed to it, but I'm subscribed to a LOT of threads on here ;D ;D

And from Canada...

31gasketset.jpg

I've never done anything with valves/valve removal before, so I think it will be time to learn on this bike. At the very least I want to put the new seals on them, lapping doesn't look too hard though. I'll take tips/tricks when I get to that point! ;)

Bid doesn't end on that shock for another 6 hours....and some jerk (probably one of you :mad:) outbid me at the moment... ;D

The Kawi shock is 11 3/8" cntr to cntr.

Here is the link to my project. http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=20290.0

Great! Thanks Johnu...I got through about half of your build so far...that is an insane amount of quality work you have done. I am no machinist, so I think I'll keep my build on the "easier" side... ;)

As for the shock, I got one that does not use linkage, and has bearings in the ends (or at least one end). I searched around and many said that it must have bearings or there will be problems :eek: Your EX650 shock also had at least one, most likely both ends had bearings correct?

I did win the shock and will post pics when it arrives. It comes in at a shorter 9 1/2 eye-to-eye so it should be perfect for what I need. (I hope)

ONWARD!!

Yes there isa bearing on one end of the 650 shock.

I am curious as to what your 9 1/2" cntr's shock is off of. I will be following your progress closely.

Back
Top Bottom