1977 Yamaha XS750D

clay69camaro

Well I found the site a bit late. Picked my bike up this summer, June I think, and have it mostly finished now. I've been riding it the past month as my only transportation since my car decided to blow both head gaskets :( The bike is mostly powdercoated minus the seat, tank, headlight bucket, and front fender. They are just spray painted flat olive drab green. When I get the car back up and running I'll give the bike a real paint job to go along with the quality powdercoating it already has.

I'll post pictures in a bit, but there aren't any tear down photos. Just the build

Pics as promised.

This is my first build so it's a bit of a learning curve. For instance I wish I had fabricated a recessed tray for the electronics instead of a flat plate, and some higher mounts for the rear sets. But the frame was already powder coated when I thought of this stuff.

IMG_0731.jpg

IMG_0734-1.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

I didn't want to pull the diff apart and replace it's seals so I just had it sandblasted then painted regularly
IMG_0741.jpg

Beat up tank, I scored one in much better condition from ebay for only $75
IMG_0746.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

More photos

Dan Moto 180 gauge
IMG_0898.jpg

Cheapy Ebay shocks, will be up for sale and will be replaced by progressive shocks.
IMG_0899.jpg

Fender showed up yesterday so I chopped it, maybe a little too short but it is what it is.
IMG_0900.jpg

Triumph Daytona header I welded onto the stock flanges.
IMG_0901.jpg

Current set-up of the controls.
IMG_0904.jpg

Man,
I really like this bike..... You knocked it out of the park. Very clean, yet still has attitude. The green works well.

looks really good! I love seeing other Triple projects! mine is not nearly as complete as yours! I kinda slapped mine together on a low budget, and am going to slowly start powder coating things as I go. I have a 77 also and love seeing other D/2D's

if you don't mind me asking a couple questions...

Where did you relocate your Ignition switch to?
What rear sets did you mount on it? and can you take a few more up close pics?
Did you keep the stock 77 engine?

thanks!

jdseibe said:
looks really good! I love seeing other Triple projects! mine is not nearly as complete as yours! I kinda slapped mine together on a low budget, and am going to slowly start powder coating things as I go. I have a 77 also and love seeing other D/2D's

if you don't mind me asking a couple questions...

Where did you relocate your Ignition switch to?
What rear sets did you mount on it? and can you take a few more up close pics?
Did you keep the stock 77 engine?

thanks!

The ignition switch is mounted to the metal plate under the seat. Still have to finish wrapping the wires and tucking them.
IMG_0907.jpg

The rear-sets are from DCC http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-custom-motorcycle-chassis-transmission-shifter-parts-dcc-originals-fully-indexable-aluminum-rearsets-rear-sets-dcc-rs10.html
IMG_0908.jpg

I didn't touch the engine, it was a runner so I left it alone. I plan on a few upgrades in the future but as of now it's just pods and exhaust. Jetting it this weekend and installing a megs reverse cone muffler.

it looks awesome! I think I am going to do something similar for rear sets.

I think we both used the same header wrap too haha..

off hand do you remember what size/type/length shocks our bikes run? I would like to pick up similar style to what you are running

here is my bike.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39690.30#msg452377

Off the top of my head it's something like 320mm length with 12 or 14mm eyelets. These shocks have worked for me pretty well, but my rear tire is rubbing on my rear hoop on big bumps so I'm going to go with longer progressive shocks 14"- 14.25" range. But first I'm going to throw the stock shocks back on to have a comparison, I never rode with the stockers.

coming along nicely! gauge looks awesome on it, really like digital on old bikes. what are you running for a master cyl on front brakes?

sdobbs20 said:
coming along nicely! gauge looks awesome on it, really like digital on old bikes. what are you running for a master cyl on front brakes?

Thank you

It's the Universal Nissin one from DCC 14mm piston.

PeteyWash said:
Man,
I really like this bike..... You knocked it out of the park. Very clean, yet still has attitude. The green works well.

Thanks you very much. Not sure if I'm going to keep it green or go with a nice base coat clear coat paint job.

Also thank you Mikewerks and Jdseibe

I got a new reverse cone muffler from Cone Engineering, the shorty 12" SS one. Also wrapped the header today too.

IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

Next on the list is clean out the new tank, fix the dent, paint it and then mount the new manual petcocks.

Well I had a fun 250 mile ride with some friends, but it also showed me that the bike needed a few things upgraded. First was a seal inside the shaft drive that was weeping oil past it and it was dripping onto the side of my tire. No that wasn't too fun on the twisties. The seal is of course discontinued by Yamaha so i found a comparable Honda one :)

Next the mount I made for the license plate and tail light sheared off, i'm assuming from vibration. So I replaced the tail light with the all in one turn/tail/stop light, and stole an idea I saw online for the license plate. License plate is now mounted using a connecting rod from a car.

I didn't like my clip-ons too much anymore either so I ditched them for some Woodcrafts.

Well I put about 2,000 miles on the bike and now it's telling me NO MORE! lots of oil leaking from many seals, and burning plenty of it too, timing was going out, and the carbs were going out of synch.

So i tore it apart and am giving it a fresh new set of rings, 3 angle valve job, porting the heads, full gasket set, adding re-ground cams, and electronic ignition.

I went ahead and sent out a set of '79 XS750 cams I bought off ebay to Delta cams up in Washington, and got a line on the electronic ignition parts necessary for upgrade. Hoping to have only about 2 weeks of down time.

Going to be painting the seat and tank at the same time. Should be about 95% complete after this.

I guess I will have to post up more pictures of the progress then. As of right now I just got the cylinders off so I can take them to the machine shop on Wednesday for a check-up and hone.

BTW BigBSBusa I've gone through your thread, looking forward to it's progress.

Back
Top Bottom