1977 Yamaha XS750D

Awesome bike! I've got it's big brother and this just inspired me to press on. I've bought the same bike (exact same bike) twice now. A lot of people talk smack about the yamaha triples, but once youve been on one for a bit, it's difficult to get it out of your system. Something about that glorious sound....

Keep the updates coming. ;D

Thank you for the kind words, and steal away any idea you see of mine... chances are I stole it myself haha.

So progress has been slow, the cams were sent to Delta Cams in WA and I didn't hear from them all week. I sent them an e-mail over the weekend and sure enough someone called me back and told me the box with my cams inside was opened but nothing was done about it. So they are getting the ball rolling on a higher performing re-grind. Then when I get those back I can take the head to the machine shop for a valve job and they'll adjust the valves for me with the new cams installed.

Haven't really done anything else that I need to like fix second gear, put in the new clutch discs, replace this install that; but I did clean up the carbs, paint a few of the brackets, and replace all the external phillips head bolts with allen bolts. It looks different I'm happy. and I bought a cheap-O harbor freight tumbler to polish all my hardware. So far it's not doing that bad, pretty happy with most of the results.

Can I ask what you didn't like about the clipons? I'm doing a similar build at the moment and looking around at different handlebars, etc and would be keen to know what you didn't like about them?
And how are the replacements? Any close up photos?

I'll get pictures up of the old and the new real soon. I didn't like the old much because of how bulky they were, they were cast, and the hardware that came with them was cheap. I broke two of the allen bolts while tightening them down and I wasn't really cranking on them.

The new ones are cnc from billet, a sleeker design, all black, and just fit and look much better.

As for the rest of the bike, the cams are back from Delta cams and now the head and cylinders are at the machine shop. They should all be finished tomorrow or Tuesday. I still have to tear apart the case and replace all the old leaky gaskets, fix second gear, clutch pack, primary chain, and paint it all.

Have to fabricate a new tray or box that goes under my seat too. The newer electronic ignition comes with a pretty large box that wasn't going to fit ANYWHERE on my bike. So I chopped out what was already there, and have a good template made out of cardboard of what will be made next. Everything will fit nicely and I will have my opportunity to chop the wiring harness once again and make it to my liking.

Pics to be posted later on.

Finally those pics and a few updates.
The old tall and slightly cracked clip-ons.

The new clip-ons with the new ASV levers

Needs to be taken further apart and thoroughly cleaned

Mock up of the under tray.

can I ask what you did about your vacuum lines on the petcocks? how did you run the fuel lines?

The vacuum ports are capped off on the head, I'm running manual petcocks from Mikes XS. Fuel lines are run like normal.

sharp looking bike you have here. One question....you mention replacing the beat-up tank....if you're interested in selling the beat-up one, PLEASE shoot me a PM....would be interested in purchasing it for the right price.

FYI if you ditch the battery and go with a lithium ion you can get an 8 cell in the back with the ICU back there as well. I was in the same boat as you with the tray and the ICU, it's huge. I just didn't want to detract from the nice clean frame lines with a tray that was sunken below the tube. I recessed my forward tray 1 inch and it ends right at the bottom of the rail, and the rear tray I recessed the front 1 inch and angled it up to flush in the rear for more tire clearance. My antigravity battery and ICU fit great in the area under the cowl, and I relocated my reg/rectifier to the spot under the rear tank mount and it hides with good air flow behind the meeting point of the tubes. Another good spot is where the LCU unit goes, just bypass that and move the 2 relays behind it somewhere else and either the ICU or the reg/rectifier can go there hidden.

Looks awesome man, I love the 750 triples. I'm going to try to get some more pics and I might make a build/built thread soon so you have an idea of what I was talking about....but there is plenty of room just to put it all in the cowl area with the little lithium ion batteries....they are crazy small and I can crank for a really long time with my 8 cell.

^^^ That's really good to know, I'm going to have to look into the lithium battery.

I made a little bit of progress on the engine today. I finally got the two case halves seperated. Now I just have to finish disassembly of the transmission and all the gears. Then I can get the halves cleaned up and start on reassembly. New crank and rod bearing :/ not cheap

Well Im finally back at it. I recently got hired with a full time position and now I have the means to be able to finish the build. Expect to see some photo updates in the near future.

Great looking bike and awesome build. You have a lot of cool details, like the connecting rod license plate holder.

Time to start rebuilding my engine. It is freakin hard to find the necessary crank, and rod bearings. Slowly but surely I'm getting them ordered though I'll snap some photos of the engine build when i get to that point.

Really can't wait to get this engine back together and be able to rip on the bike again!

Time for an update:

It's been a while since i've really done anything to the bike, but I got my behind down in the garage today, prepped and painted the top engine case half. It's black crinkle finish looks real good, I'll get the bottom done tomorrow. Then of course I'll snap some photos of the rebuild and how sexy the parts look.

5th gear was replaced with a NOS part.

Crank and rod bearing are installed and the clearance are good :D

I'm currently looking for a beat up R6 gas tank that I can cut the gas cap part out of. Then I'll have some fab work done to my stock tank and go with the flush R6 cap.

Think I'm gonna cut the rear hoop off and give it a bit of an upward angle. Cut the fiberglass seat to match and possibly install a tail light in it. Maybe something modern that has integrated turn signals.

Pics will follow. I've got sometime off work due to injury so I'm hoping to get this thing back together or damn near close.

i thought it was big and bulky with too many buttons and switches on it.

I opted to go with a late model R6 one instead, and a matching R6 right hand control. no more hidden starter button.

Good to see you back at it, I'm about to restart my XS750 build now that the Beamer is finally finished.

Back
Top Bottom