1977 cb400f project getting underway.

Rydog400f said:
Just did an ebay search and it looks like the 500f and 550f go up to 130 like the 400f. That opens up a hole bunch of new options. There are some cherry 550f gauges on eaby for cheap! Thanks Sonreir!

Just an FYI -- the CB550 (and 750) gauges are bigger and clunkier than the 400F (and 350F) gauges. 350F and 350 twin gauges would work -- are you really going to try to take this thing over 110mph on a regular basis? I will add that I've gotten a 400F to do the ton, so I know it's possible... And as Sonreir points out, aftermarket is an option...

carnivorous chicken said:
Just an FYI -- the CB550 (and 750) gauges are bigger and clunkier than the 400F (and 350F) gauges. 350F and 350 twin gauges would work -- are you really going to try to take this thing over 110mph on a regular basis? I will add that I've gotten a 400F to do the ton, so I know it's possible... And as Sonreir points out, aftermarket is an option...

I ended up going with the 2.5" mini gauges.

Those RFY shocks need to be rebuilt, for them to work properly. I can guarantee you that they are not completely full of oil, and don't have enough Nitrogen in them. Once rebuilt, they work fairly well. Also, the lower clevis on that style is a bit weak. You might consider having some made. Here is a thread I posted, elsewhere, on rebuilding them. I have to mention that crazyPJ was very helpful answering questions I had the first time I did it, and the bleed hole idea came straight from him.

http://tanshanomi.com/forum/read.php?6,7

Here's a very crappy preview of how I'm thinking of painting the bike.

Attachments

• IMAG06341.JPG
    IMAG06341.JPG
    415.5 KB · Views: 278
Or I might keep with the other colors and paint the tank aluminum and seat black. This looks a little "tougher" I think.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    396.2 KB · Views: 258
Hey, really dig the build so far, very cleanly & tastefully done.
You've got a great base to work with, most colours should suit well. There's some cool paint ideas here (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=143122.0).

Bootsey said:
Hey, really dig the build so far, very cleanly & tastefully done.
You've got a great base to work with, most colours should suit well. There's some cool paint ideas here (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=143122.0).

Thanks! I guess I'm just looking for a second opinion. I'm trying to go for a vintage cafe with a bit of modern race look. What color would you choose?

Attachments

• rh_paint_kit_candy_gold_custom_CB500_K0-K1_3_l.jpg
    rh_paint_kit_candy_gold_custom_CB500_K0-K1_3_l.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 1,556
I'm kind of leaning more towards the aluminum and black. When I was on the Isle of man for the TT this year there were so many cool Norton's, triumphs, BSA's in that style. Just basically replace Harley in the states with cool cafes. Plus it would be easier to paint it that way myself.

I like the blue/black, but I have always been partial to that scheme. I, too, always liked the candy colors that Honda used in the 60's and 70's. I had a 73 CB500 with the sunburst orange, but those colors can be somewhat difficult for an amateur painter. They usually require a silver base, and finding a metal flake candy top coat. But the OEM gold, blue, red and orange all looked fantastic, to me.

See I think I like the vintage racing colors. Like one of these. I'm thinking about getting a fairing too.

Attachments

• Honda-CB-400---Colin-Wilkin.jpg
    Honda-CB-400---Colin-Wilkin.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 311
  • cx01lr1.jpg
    cx01lr1.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 913
Just as a side note, most graphics/wrap companies can wrap the tank and give it any look you want. Brushed aluminum, chrome, copper, aged copper, the sky is the limit. Just do yourself a favor, if you are building this for yourself, never follow what everyone else is doing. If you like a style that's cool to give it your own spin. Too many copycat rides out there. I'm digging the build. Keep it up.

Ps. That fairing is the heat.

Thomas_Hudson said:
Just as a side note, most graphics/wrap companies can wrap the tank and give it any look you want. Brushed aluminum, chrome, copper, aged copper, the sky is the limit. Just do yourself a favor, if you are building this for yourself, never follow what everyone else is doing. If you like a style that's cool to give it your own spin. Too many copycat rides out there. I'm digging the build. Keep it up.

Thanks Thomas! Your right. I was looking into hydro painting as well. Maybe dip the tank in brushed aluminum.

Oh wow. I hadn't thought about hydro graphics. Mydipkit.com has tons of choices for designs. Seen the kits used for guns and truck accessories but never though of doing a bike up with it. Nice!!!

One of my favorite hydrodipped tanks of all time.

Attachments

• DSC_5484_zpsb52febc9.jpg
    DSC_5484_zpsb52febc9.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 918
Yeah the first time I watched a youtube video of a guy doing a tank my eyes blew up from the possibilities. You could color parts carbon fiber!

Back
Top Bottom