1972 Yamaha DS7

Transition from gray cables to black cables complete...
FullSizeRender_zpsxwsxw9mq.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpsljqj1czk.jpg

I ended up sourcing a speedo cable from an XS360. Didn't want to wait until October for the backordered one.
The throttle cable needs a little fab work to be completely installed. The mounting bracket on the tube end of the RD250 cable is different from the OEM DS7 cable. I'll post pics when I'm done with that.

And of course, the supervisor is busy soaking up the A/C instead of actually doing some work...
FullSizeRender_zpsqjsetfna.jpg

Damn i love this bike! Great work! These 70s strokers are getting expensive in sweden since everyone who had one as a kid now is old and nostalgic with fat wallets!

Cory, how'd you separate it from the cable?

David, thanks for the compliment ;)
And the old smokers are expensive here in the U.S. for the same reasons :p

I cut the little ring part with some dykes. I opened it up enough to remove it and place it around the new one. It hasn't come loose yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using DO THE TON mobile app

Cory, Thanks, that trick worked like a charm ;)

Got the bodywork back Friday evening.
Before...
FullSizeRender_zpszdqmonjf.jpg

After...
IMG_9669_zpso5p2y7xk.jpg

I was going to go with a black CF pattern, but didn't care for the way the bike looked murdered out. So I opted for the Anthracite CF pattern instead. The callouts are cut from black reflective vinyl. When looking at them from different angles, they'll change from black to a silvery graphite color. It's kinda cool because they'll almost disappear against the anthracite cf (look at the yank in the "after" pic). But when headlights (or camera flash) hit them, they pop white.
IMG_9671_zpsnjoubz5p.jpg

IMG_9670_zpsdrkt0naq.jpg

Reassembled...
IMG_9672_zpsexthyp24.jpg

I got her out for a quick trial run, but I apparently cracked the fuel tap bowl and it's dripping pretty bad.
Getting another one on order ::)

The little I got to ride... seems a little low on power out the hole, but definitely pulls stronger than the DS7.

Got back from an all day ride on the 750 yesterday and noticed an oil puddle under the Yamaha ::)
Has to be the neutral switch o-ring, unless I somehow nicked the shifter seal when I installed it.

Thanks for a nice read, I love two strokes and nothing is better than seeing a good old bike getting a new life.

I dont wanna hijack this thread, but since it seems u guys switch out engines and stuff i gotta ask; I have a hard time getting a engine for my DS7, i got the bike but no engine, was told by the previous owner someone stole the engine outa it. Anyhow I want a true DS7 engine with DS7 stamped on the block, however if the cylinders is 350 or what it doesnt matter as long as i get the ds7 markings. A Running engine would be great, but if its seized or something, its still something i can work with. Does anyone have, or know of one? if so, im seriously intrested.

:)

hectus77 said:
Thanks for a nice read, I love two strokes and nothing is better than seeing a good old bike getting a new life.

I dont wanna hijack this thread, but since it seems u guys switch out engines and stuff i gotta ask; I have a hard time getting a engine for my DS7, i got the bike but no engine, was told by the previous owner someone stole the engine outa it. Anyhow I want a true DS7 engine with DS7 stamped on the block, however if the cylinders is 350 or what it doesnt matter as long as i get the ds7 markings. A Running engine would be great, but if its seized or something, its still something i can work with. Does anyone have, or know of one? if so, im seriously intrested.

:)

Can't help ya down low, but I do have an entire DS7 top end with some clutch parts I'd part with.

Been a while since I've posted in here :eek:
Not too long after the last update, she saw a step up in jetting and carbs adjusted properly (thanks Neal and Charlie ;)), an RD350 clutch upgrade, and properly set timing (thanks Murray ;)). Then she seemed to have started sucking air from one of the brand new crank seals. Now, I had modified a set of RD350 style seals to work in the DS7 cases. Then, I found out they make actual DS7/R5 replacement seals *facepalm*
Then she sat... for over a year :(
Well, this weekend I got motivated. Especially after noticing this...
IMG_4176_zpszz0f7bhu.jpg

The cobwebs aren't easy to see, but if you look real close, you can read where Charlotte weaved in a message saying:
"Hey Asshole! Shouldn't you be riding this thing?!"
Ok, Ok... point taken ;)

Both ends of the crank now have the proper DS7/R5 seals installed. While in there I pulled the injector pump completely and installed the block off plate.
IMG_4178_zpsddnnjx9z.jpg

Here she is after evicting Charlotte and a little cleaning to remove the dust layer.
IMG_4181_zpsi2gafh1i.jpg

Next I need to clean the tank and carbs of funky fuel, and get her to fire again. Then the task of fine tuning the jetting.
This summer is going to be a lot smokier than last ;D

Neither does procrastination :p

Well, the tank and carbs are cleaned up. Didn't realize I'm out of two stroke oil though.
I guess she'll awaken tomorrow :)

How can that even be? Doesn't everyone keep bulk supplies of two stroke oil? From time to time we all run out of something. I just ran out of cash. Lots of two stroke oil though....

teazer said:
How can that even be? Doesn't everyone keep bulk supplies of two stroke oil? From time to time we all run out of something. I just ran out of cash. Lots of two stroke oil though....

haha I generally buy it by the gallon, and every time I run out, the price has jumped substantially. It always hurts to have to buy the next gallon.

I SAID DON'T JUDGE ME!! ;D ;D :p

The backstory is... the kid I was paying to cut my grass used up the cheap 2T oil I kept for the string trimmer. And instead of telling me we were out, he spotted the half bottle of Motul I kept for the Yamaha, and used that. The good news is, the string trimmer has never been happier. The bad news is, I was unaware of my 2T shortage.
I know, I know... I ain't no Sheriff Israel... I take full responsibility for the situation. I should've trained the kid better. But I do have one of these on the way.
8071bf36-358b-11e4-902a-d850e63bb5e3_a0efb274-2313-11e6-8743-d850e63bb5e3-500x500.png

Hopefully it'll last out the riding season ;)

Back
Top Bottom