CB360 - working on it on the weekends

edukaycheon

Been Around the Block
So I decided to make a thread about my bike, because I wanted to get some input from everyone and I'm getting a better idea of what I want to do with my bike.

As she sits now:
16X4G.jpg

I'm thinking about going a bit towards brat style and getting a two-up seat pan for my bike, but before that would be done I'd have to clean up the wiring and make sure everything's decent there. Maybe a seat like this one?
Moto-Guzzi-Falcone-1.jpg
Something that's not completely flat, but still able to have two people on it. I also want to keep the electric starter on my bike, is there a good way to mount a battery under the seat pan? Carbs will be sent to crazypj, most likely along with pod filters.

I also need to clean up the back end in terms of taillight, license plate bracket, and turn signals since I need those in CA, but I haven't seen anything that looks particularly nice in terms of all that. Any ideas? May just get a side license plate holder that comes with a small tail light, but I'd need blinkers too so might as well put all the lights in the same place.

After all of this, I need to get new tires, and I've got my eye on the Conti Gos. Tank is pretty dirty so may just give it a flat coat of black, along with a brush up here and there to get rid of some scratches. I'd also like to do something to the headlight, because it's pretty weak, maybe a new headlight assembly all together?

Kind of liking the CB350 BikeExif posted not too long ago, http://www.bikeexif.com/analog-honda-cb350
I know the 360 isn't the most reliable bike, but I'd like to be able to putt around town with a lady friend on the back, then still have fun with it on the weekends doing some mellow canyon rides. This
6978603613_bc57a5e356_c.jpg
is pretty cool too, but I could do without the bulkier look of the stock seat, and would rather not have the fender sticking out with the bulb of a tail light.

Any input would be cool, what sounds stupid/any resources for what I'm looking to do. I'm pretty new to this but I'm having fun so far ;D

Re: Work to be done on a CB360

I mean it's not a newer bike where I can just push to start and head off, with mine in its current state I'm constantly worrying about if it'll cut off at the next intersection. Not saying anything bad about them, just stating that I don't have much peace of mind with my bike as it is.

ahhhh... You just mean your bike in general! I have had mine for a while now and haven't had any problems with it! Hit the starter and away I go! It is torn down at the moment and I'm jonesin' to get it back on two wheels! Hope yours starts to become more reliable! Just tear into it!

So if anyone's listening, I'm thinking this is the way I want to go with my bike in terms of seat/rear end.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=44016.msg479928#msg479928

I like jwegeman's removable seat cowl idea, so I could have a cool looking seat I can slide back against but still be able to take it off if I'm planning on a passenger. I'm also thinking I'll get a metal pan under the seat pan to hold all the wiring and a small battery in one place, but I'm not sure what the best way to mount that would be. Maybe some hooks to the frame or bolts into the pan? Also, how should I be mounting a seat? So again, a seat like this
honda-cb350.jpg
with somewhat of a cowl on the back

I like that look! I am torn between the cafe or tracker look for my bike.... ugh. It's so hard to decide lol. Do you have your bike to bare frame?

It's actually together for the most part, tomorrow I'll pull the carbs and send them to crazypj, maybe work on some wiring, and try to think of a way to mount a seat and electrics pan on the frame. I'm not doing a complete build like a lot of people on here, more like a renovation haha

Once PJ is done with the carbs your reliability issues won't be fuel related, or gone entirely. Once I cleaned and rebuilt my carbs, the bike is a two kick start cold, and half a kick warm starter.

paint500.jpg

My seat ends a couple inches beyond shock mounts. I took my old lady for a ride "once" and it was a fiasco. I think we have average size american butts. If you want to ride comfy two up. youre gonna need something more accommodating than what Ive got. Every bump we hit her butt scooted a little farther off the back of the seat. She was screaming the whole time. LOL! She had to get off so I could turn around, my knees where under the bars.

Something more like maniacs bike... Looks, ATLEAST, 12 or more inches past shock mounts.
E94600C1-6C75-419F-A151-F48CA6F0ED9A-3527-000002CDCE59EB7C_zpsec225f00.jpg

even standing far forward on that loong seat it still looks like a squeeze to get two American butts on there.
D88F6D22-D9BB-4D3E-B567-91FF1044C099-2618-000001ECB60D56E3_zps4953a18c.jpg

I'm still torn between coming up with a solo cafe seat, or a two-up brat style, or a two-up brat style with a removable cowl...also I can't figure out how I want to attach the seat. My previous seat was attached with a single bolt on the back, I think two metal plates JB welded to the fiberglass then bolted into the seat pan on the frame. Pretty sketchy, I don't know what the PO was thinking but it worked for a while I guess.

I definitely want to keep the battery/a battery on the bike, so I came up with an idea for three different pans attached under the seat.

8xiCl.jpg

Sketched this up, very rough and out of proportion but anyways...

One pan on the tail, with holes to bolt in turn signals on the sides and very slim, just to keep those wires out of the way. I have duct tape holding them up off the tires right now :-X

Then a pan in the middle right before the slight curve in the frame for a battery, and that little pan should have cut outs so the wires can get through to the next pan, which has more or less the same cut out, and holds the bulk of the wiring.

I'm not sure how feasible all of this is, and how it might turn out. It'll probably look cleaner than it is now with pods and all the wiring out of the way, but still not sure.

Also, I'm wondering if I do make a seat, how should I mount it to the frame? I'd like something with at least 2 bolts this time (ha) but can I just put one behind the tank and one towards the tail? New to all of this, so any advice is appreciated.

I'm thinking about taking some 16 gauge steel, bending and grinding it to shape, then taking closed cell foam, gluing it to the metal, then wrapping it with kayak repair vinyl (got the idea from someone on r/motorcycles from reddit). The only downside is that this would still keep the seat/standover height pretty low, and at 6 ft I feel a little cramped on the bike sometimes.

Finally, still can't decide what I should do for the tail light and license plate. A clean tail section does look nice, but I don't really like the idea of having my plate mounted next to the shocks, so is there any cool integrated thing anyone's seen for a tail light and plate bracket? Also would like to keep the wires as out of the way as possible.

Long read, if you read it all thanks, if you can help in any way bigger thanks!

Quick question, hopefully someone sees this
I need to replace my battery, the PO was running a Ballistic Evo 2 8 cell, but it's fried now and I need a new one. I can't find the same battery for less than 140 which is more than I'd like to pay, anyone know of a similar battery for a cheaper price? Don't really care about weight or whatever, just has to be able to put it on its side and not too big.

Any AGM battery in the 7Ah range will work.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Generic-SLA-7-12-VOLT-BATTERY-Battery/dp/B000R9PYEQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1360173820&sr=8-3&keywords=7ah+battery

^ I use tose type of sealed lead acid batteries all the time for security/fire alarm panels, and they leak. I know you are trying to help, but those type of batteries are NOT Absorbed Glass Matt, they are a sealed lead acid battery(maintenance free), but trust me they will leak when oriented on their side, even sitting in a controlled enviroment.

NAPA has an AGM that will work for you, two different one s actually. Both under $100.00, might save you on shipping a brick to your door if you can find it locally.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/Content.aspx?dsNav=Ny~True,Arpp~12,Nk~True,A~Part+Number,N~38-4251608801-2147384755-4294486824-2147384906

Work to be done on a CB360

edukaycheon said:
Quick question, hopefully someone sees this
I need to replace my battery, the PO was running a Ballistic Evo 2 8 cell, but it's fried now and I need a new one. I can't find the same battery for less than 140 which is more than I'd like to pay, anyone know of a similar battery for a cheaper price? Don't really care about weight or whatever, just has to be able to put it on its side and not too big.

How olds the battery? Contact ballistic its worth a try at least. It's a very nice battery

Okay talked to the previous owner, he says he replaced the charging system for what looks like the Dime City high output kit, so it looks like I'm more or less stuck with using a lithium battery. Hopefully he can find the warranty, otherwise I'll have to buy a $150 battery :(

I got my cafe seat back from having a bolt welded on the back, it's still kind of sketchy but maybe I'll see if I can make it sturdier tonight. It's a fiberglass seat, but I wanted to experiment with painting it and see the colors would go with my bike. I was thinking paint stripper, sand it, primer spray, then rattle can it, do a few layers, then spray clearcoat over it. Would this be okay?

edukaycheon said:
I was thinking paint stripper, sand it, primer spray, then rattle can it, do a few layers, then spray clearcoat over it. Would this be okay?
Spray can clear isnt fuel resistant. so try not to dump gas all over it on the first fill up. My whole bike is rattle can. And yes I have re-done my tank a couple times and yes...It seems I always dump gas all over it on the first fill up. A lot of Guys say clearmax 2 part spray can is pretty tough w fuel...if you want glossy clear.
http://www.spraymax.com/index.php?id=361&L=1

^I'll check that out, thanks, I'm at school during the week but my seat is at home curing from the primer (following the rattle-can write up someone posted). Going to do color over the weekend, and depending on how that looks maybe I'll take a stab at the tank as well. Any special precaution I should take with the tank? Also kind of unrelated, but the bike hasn't been ran for a while, should I unhook the fuel lines and drain the gas out?

edukaycheon said:
Also kind of unrelated, but the bike hasn't been ran for a while, should I unhook the fuel lines and drain the gas out?
never a bad idea. I am assuming your gonna pull the tank off anyway if your gonna paint it.
also if your gonna sand tank down to metal...recommended. use a self etching primer. If your doing any bondo repairs. be sure to let it cure...atleast a couple weeks, at room temp. maybe longer if its chilly or higher humidity in your shop.

Didn't think about the self etching primer, thanks.

Anyone have experience/pictures of what this would look like on a bike? It says it mounts to an axle but the bracket looks unusual

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-electronic-lighting-parts-chrome-lucas-taillight-62-21551.html

I got a new Ballistic 8 cell in the mail today and checked it with the multimeter, it reads at 13.86 volts where as the old one that doesn't work is at 14.2. Am I right in thinking that 14.2 is too high for a standing battery? I did use a battery charger on it, maybe it did the desulfation thing that Ballistic warns about and fried the cells? Or could it be something with the wiring?

Back
Top Bottom