Newb - CB77

sdaigle240

Whats up guys? I'm Steve from Connecticut. Its actually exciting to be a newb again, lots to learn!
First post will be an intro then on to the stuff you guys care about.

My primary passion and focus is drifting, but i wrecked my car at an event last year so the bikes have been a very helpful distraction to an upsetting situation. Ive had this CA77 and CB77 for about 5-6 years. been driving the CA77 all along. Its a great bike. it does nothing well but provide smiles. Ill breeze right over the CA77 and Drift car considering the forum but feel free to ask if interested. the CB, i just got running.

Car:

https://youtu.be/Wi1Q4Aiv4qU

65 CA77 305 Dream

She gets worked

65 CB77 as purchased

The PO installed the shift drum plate upside down and the bike wouldn't shift. Split case operation to flip a small bracket. It was good to get in there and replace some wear items though. wanted to get that sorted before proceeding too far.

Next i went to throw on some factory style/length flat bars. turns out my bike has a CL77 triple with lower placement and it doesn't profivde enough clearance to the forks for the levers. After buying and milling the bars i was pissed so i just chopped up the bars that came with it for now.

Moved the controls back to a further setting - honda made the positioning adjustable... pretty slick. I got a kick out of how i extended it. there was a piece of threaded (on ID) rod from a rotisserie cooker i never used. it was perfect and only needed to be trimmed to length.

with that settled I started tinkering with the plans for aesthetics. I knew I wanted a steel pan of a particular variety. this bikes so damn small unfortunately everything's a touch big. I mocked up a cardboard seat best I could per the dimensions on the listing to get a feel for what i was working with.

seemed comfortable

How embarrassed should I be about these tires? I just needed something that held air for now till i learn more about my options and what extent ill actually be pushing this bike. these are michillen gazelles. it looks to be a front tire for a honda rebel lol. i think im going to flip the front one despite the arrow on the tire. for some reason i like the look of the small tire with matching size front and back.

Nice intro, looks like you've got a pretty good handle on things here. Actually have heard decent things about the Gazelles, I put a pair on a CB100 but have yet to ride it with them on.

PS looks like you're addicted to boost, where you getting your fix with your drift car out of commission?

Ive had the Gazelles on the 100 for a couple months now. They seem to be a fine tire.

And yes the front tire on your bike has been mounted backwards.

Oops and yes...Welcome to DTT! The bikes are pretty neat.

Gents, thanks for the warm welcome, kind words and reassurance on the tires. Whats up with the direction on these things? I mounted them per the arrow on the sidewall. It sure seemed wrong to me for the front. An old timer since told me the arrow on the sidewall of a tire only applies to the rear. I take it that's true.

I am indeed into boost. It really boils down to i like fabricating and engineering (the later, my profession) and turbocharging a factory NA car fit that bill. She makes about 360-370 to the wheels, up from about 120 lol. I rent a garage with a bunch of drift junkies so i manage to get my fix one way or another. I started pulling out the damage so i can at least trailer this turd to events. I am dying to blast some tires though for sure.

Info on arrow direction and why from Avon.

http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/2009/08/23/tires-directional-arrows-explained-by-avon-tyres/

Welcome!

So when i got the seat in i wasn't pleased to see i was off on my proportions a bit. I nailed the front section of the mock up but i represented the tail too short. so i cant afford to take any out of the flat section (due to seating position). leaving the tail too visually long/big. After a few hours debating how to cut it up i decided id just deal with it. maybe add a link or something. it was only about an inch longer than i wanted it. and then i thought about slash cutting it which effectively cuts off 1 inch of length. I realize this is just aesthetics and its all about my own opinion but what do you guys think? I think the tail flows well, its just that unmodified it creates a touch too much "weight" (visually) to the rear of the bike. the only thing i dont love about the slash cut idea is that the slash angle doesnt actually match anything on the bike. all of the bikes visual ques are too steep to be carried through to the slash cut. I dont love overly short tails, and im sure we all have different style preferences, so i understand if some thing its too long all together.

OR

Tail shape for reference
tiiny tire

It's great how much that little slash cut adds to the aesthetic. Kinda like when Ford put upswept line graphics on their trucks to break up the straight bodies, in response to the Dodge Ram.

The squared tail matches the tank almost too well. Can't say I don't really like this. All you need is a faux seem on tail to match XD

Personally I like fenders, starting to really like slicers on the front and most of a fender on the back, ties the tires to the rest of the bike instead of just having them out there hanging in the wind. Rear fender ties the tail into place brings the eye back and down. I'd leave the seat pan alone for now maybe slightly bigger tire back there.

I also don't cut on anything until I have the bike mostly built as you never know what you will need or not until all the parts are mounted.

I hear ya. if its anything like the car life ive been a part of, you try things on for a few years and your tastes and interest always tend to change after time. if the bike wasn't a basket case, id be in the restoration section. but it is and there is a specific vision i see when i close my eyes. just a front fender for this bike is north of $200, which sucks cuz these bikes are beautiful in stock trim. but i know what you mean on the fenders. I've got a little fender for the front but its just a lack luster generic chrome deal i didnt like much. some of those small front fenders do look pretty slick. As for the frame, i cant make mounts for the pan till i trim the frame cuz the seat doesn't sit as it would/should. if youre familiar with a hawk, its just two tubes that end in forks where pins from the stock pan slide into. 1/2" or so off one side of the fork and im good to go. no over the top frame mods here.

sdaigle240 said:
thanks gents. havent cut the frame yet. will have to trim a little off the rear most tubes.
I'm typically not that guy, but, don'the cut in to a perfectly good Hawk frame, even if it is a basket case.

well thats no fun!! i wouldn't even be able to mount the seat. frames are $125-$225 shipped on ebay and probably a fraction of that if bought of honda305.com. battery box, brackets and tabs all getting cut off! ;D I understand how it could pain the heart though. I genuinely plan to own/restore an all original hawk at some point - prettiest jap bike ive ever seen. I also don't get as excited playing with dime a dozen cb350s so i guess it is what it is. the only negative potential here is a young buck (me) realizing down the road that he wishes he did it differently, which is entirely possible. I laugh at myself when i look back at my automotive choices from say 8 years ago. but im not exactly redesigning the tail section here im just trimming a little off of these forks and trimming some unused tabs.
frame-body_bigma000099f05_6723.gif

Back
Top Bottom