"Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

Re: "Tangerine Dream" - KZ750

beachcomber said:
I'm looking for a suitable flat tracker style font ( 50's / 60's )

Something like these?

Attachments

• 55.JPG
    55.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 192

Don't trust your own eyes. What you are looking at is not what you will end up with...

What am I saying? What see see in that pictures is a pair of gauges (no bars) and a front plate and with that combo, it looks like a cafe racer or classic racer project. For a tracker, we need to see the bars. They dominate the look at the front of a tracker and not the gauges which you may want to reconsider/replace.

Our eyes are drawn to the gauges and what we see is cafe racer. Try a set of high wide bars and lose the gauges for the moment and look at it again and I think it will look very different. On the Phat Trakka I used a Trail Tech Vapor because it that unit is very small and hides between the square(ish) number plate and top triple tree (yoke).

Oh and TJ, we all fall for that trick of making a bike look like the ones we built before because they "look right" to us. They match our patterns of what looks good, so we are drawn there when we swore we were going in a different direction this time. Old habits and patterns die hard. Trust the force. Keep a picture, or ten, of trackers that you like around or on a wall as a visual tool to keep reminding your brain and eyes that this one is going to be different.

On mine, I took an oval plate and trimmed it to change the shape and then heated and bent it. This isn't a great pic but may give you food for thought. http://s1106.photobucket.com/user/tz375/media/DSCN1839_zps6dec61a5.jpg.html?o=17

Thanx SC, the Clarendon is close - maybe a bit " italic " would do it.

Teaser, hear what you are saying. However the angle of the pic distorts the emphasis on the top end. The bench was never intended as an assembly station ! Yes, the bars must be right. I have the highest / widest Rental ( copy) bars - and I have to agree, they are still not right.

I currently have an issue with speedo drive - as in they are not currently available for the Grimeca - and were £120 when they were available !! So, I might junk the mini speedo in favour of a small digital unit as you suggest which I can "lose" and then drop the revcounter down to declutter the yokes.

I thank you all for your input.

Nearly forgot - thanx for the picture link.

Thanx Crazy - could you email me a suitable file to my private address? It's easier for me to manipulate pix and traffic from there.

My pal's cutting the oval when he gets back from his Christmas break. I've also located some likely looking bars. The company is only 5 miles from me, but unfortunately they are away for the Christmas holidays. I'll check them out in the new year - it's the same company that markets the TR6 high level exhausts ( both left hand side ), so I can check them out at the same time.

Thanx for your input Crazy - files received .

I'm going to drop the Renthal copy bar in place to see what it looks like. I can also relate the measurements to the TR6 bars I've located.

Just a slight deviation in the plan !!

Long story short - I got into a "Whatif" frame of mind last week which involved Volvos, Eaton superchargers and looking back on some of my drag race history.

Still not entirely sure how my thoughts came round to the KZ and the spare Eaton blower in my shed.

Anyway, with another lifeline deadline looming ( not my health related BTW! ) and I decided I needed to get the project finished for the Glemseck event in September.

Reality kicked in and I realised that the blower installation with the attendant fab, machining requirements, and outwork made the deadline unrealistic - but a turbo ..........

So that's where I'm at engine wise. The rolling chassis works either way. Maybe the clip-ons I have instead of the Renthal's and maybe an Avon / Metisse half fairing, otherwise the Tarrozi rear sets and seat base work OK. The Grimeca hubbed wheels won't look out of place either !

It's not going to win any races at the 1/8th mile Glemseck Drags, but it's the engineering challenge that's intriguing.

So - change of title, change of direction !

See previous post for the reason d'etre. Part of anyway. Bottom line is that there's a slight swerve in the direction. The rolling chassis remains as is - maybe clip-ons and 7R race seat, oh and that Metisse / Norvil half fairing oh and maybe a 7R style tank .......... But essentially good to go.

Engine is growing a GT15 turbo - blowing through the 40dcoe and manifold I already have.

Is it still a Flat Tracker? Or morphing into a Cafe Racer? Or even a Special !!

There will now be some additional engine work to upgrade the oil supply ( cooler and turbo requirements ) as well as a twin spark plug conversion.

beachcomber said:
So - change of title, change of direction !

See previous post for the reason d'etre. Part of anyway. Bottom line is that there's a slight swerve in the direction. The rolling chassis remains as is - maybe clip-ons and 7R race seat, oh and that Metisse / Norvil half fairing oh and maybe a 7R style tank .......... But essentially good to go.

Engine is growing a GT15 turbo - blowing through the 40dcoe and manifold I already have.

Is it still a Flat Tracker? Or morphing into a Cafe Racer? Or even a Special !!

There will now be some additional engine work to upgrade the oil supply ( cooler and turbo requirements ) as well as a twin spark plug conversion.

Such enthusiasm!

I didn't care for the round number plate on a tracker anyway :-X

Looking forward to more updates.

Tune-A-Fish© said:
Such enthusiasm!

I didn't care for the round number plate on a tracker anyway :-X

Looking forward to more updates.

Thanx for the encouragement, I' m beginning to get back my previous enthusiasm that had waned in the past 18 months.

This new direction gets me into the engine innards, my favourite place ! It also involves some lateral and intuitive thinking to resolve the inevitable issues I will encounter breaking new ground.

I rigged the GT15 turbo up - perfect, could have been made for the job.

Can't wait to get this puppy finished and fired up. Yep, mojo is back folks.

Looks miniscule alongside my T3........... :eek:

However a lot of bikers use them over here [ especially the EU ] and apparently they spool up like a "Banshee" according to der_nanno !!

Packaging couldn't be better / simpler. Cuts down dramatically on fab / machining / favours front. Win, win situation. 8)

Think I'll have to make some brackets to support the turbo, as the exhaust [ which traditionally supports the unit ] will not be up to the job / marginal. No biggie, just need to build in some flexibility into the mounts - back to the frame.

There were lots of blown ( Shorrock mainly ) BSA and Triumph twins around in my day, mostly on Sprinters ( prior to Dragsters ) but a few did see street duty.

One of my Triumph kneeler outfits ( road ridden ) had a C75B Shorrock blower - that was silly quick but kept eating pistons due to lack of retard at the top end!

Moving ahead ............ The head ( boom, boom ) is getting the twin plug treatment next month - courtesy of KK.

Der- Nanno is schooling me in on blowing through the Weber - all looking good.

In reality the only difference externally is the addition of the turbo to my Weber set up.

I dropped the 7R styled tank from my abandoned "Vindicator" TR1 cafe racer on the frame - doesn't look half bad.

Just need to sort out the auxiliary oil supply for the oil cooler / turbo.

There's a guy that does a reasonably priced Avon Metisse 1/2 fairing ( Ragged Edge racing ) with screen for around £120. We'll see.

beachcomber said:
Der- Nanno is schooling me in on blowing through the Weber - all looking good.

Glad I can be of help. Should you run into packaging issues, there's also in-tank fuel pumps, which make the whole plumbing a lot easier... The ones for a Harley Sportster should do the trick in terms of flow. Unfortunately the TR1 fuel tank is too narrow, so I'll have to go for an external one on my old Turbobike.

Back
Top Bottom