CB 450-CL 450 WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING?

bluesmoke69

Been Around the Block
I have a chance to buy a basket case CL 450 in parts for 300.00 and it has a title. My question is what do you guys think of the 450. How does it compare to the CB 750 ? Good and bad about CL 450. Any tips or comment that would be helpful would be great.

I did not buy the bike the motor was taken apart as far as possible, it was a mess. I did buy a !973 CB450 for 150.00 yesterday, it's not in to bad of shape. Today I went to look at some parts that were on craigslist. The young girl was unsure of what she had, it was listed as a CB 450 but it turned out to be a CL 450. I looked everything over for a while. I did think that a 1972 CL came with lever operated breaks so I ask if they were original she had no clue. To make a long story short she wanted 400.00 for it, I offered her 150.00 and she took it. What''s funny some guy told her he would give here 10.00 WTF. I mocked the bike up so I could take pictures to get a title.

Here is the CB 450 mostly the way I picked it up.
IMG_1298.jpg

The basic plan is to get one working bike as fast as possible, so I have time to finish my 1976 Cb750F the way I want and not have to cut corners. I don't have a lot of free time with work and college. Any help or information on quality part at reasonable price would be great, as I do know much about the 450's. I downloaded a shop manual now I need to find time to read it. Here is my baby crying that I brought another women home, really two!
IMG_0660.jpg

I don't really know what your plans are for this 450 you got, but I used to own a really cherry '74 CB450, and I actually rather loved the bike. You'll find it's a lot lighter and easier driving in some ways than the 750, but those things even stock supposedly put out around 50hp, and that's not shabby at all for a 450, even by modern standards. That little bike could really go! Much more bang than the CB350s .
I actually sold mine a couple of years ago to a collector because it was too perfect and I couldn't bring myself to chop it up. I always thought it would be a great platform top build something really fun out of, but never got my hands on another one.
I'm looking forward to what you do with it!
There is a really great CB450 forum out there on the internets... I was a member while I had mine, and they were super helpful. Shouldn't be too hard to find....
Cheers!

Made a little progress on the bike last couple weeks. It's not much, but I do not have a lot of time right now.
IMG_0235.jpg

Well, it looks like you've got two pretty solid machines there; it shouldn't be too much work to make a good running bike between them, and the CL exhaust pipes alone are worth nearly what you have in the two bikes combined, even in not-so-great condition, so I say you are WAY ahead on this project already! You just need the time and elbow grease.

The Honda 450's had something near 50+ HP stock, and I know mine rode really well, even at highway speeds, I never felt underpowered; passing at 80mph never worried me, and that's saying a LOT for a 30 year old 450! I think you have a whole lot more bike on your hands than all the old 350's and 360's running around; even if you just get it going and sell it to finance your 750 project...

Good Luck mate!

Yes that the plan to get it running as fast as possible on a tight budget. Have new tapered head stock bearing from all balls, and new chain. Going to check out cost to paint or powder coat frame.

For being a "tight budget" project, you've certainly put some time and effort into this one. I didn't see that orange frame coming! That's going to look really good, Man!! I can't wait to see the rest of it. What are your plans?

Yes it is still a tight budget. The powder coating will be the biggest cost. It the main component to the bike and wanted to due it right. The rest of the parts will be rattle can and 2 part epoxy in the can.

Painted some parts today. The part will need to be sanded and then painted again. I got some spray max clear coat, will spray them later this week.
IMG058.jpg
IMG059.jpg
IMG060.jpg

Back
Top Bottom