Driverless bikes?

gonerpete

If you are reading this buy me tacos
Sure you've heard all the fuss about driverless bikes and cars and what not (here they promise self-driving vehicles will be introduced to the market by 2020 which is pretty soon) but does it make sense to you? Can't imagine what the world will be like. And anyway who wants driverless bikes?

The whole driverless vehicle thing is a difficult conundrum. Regardless if it's a car or bike as a driverless mode of transportation, it's about mixing robots and humans on freeways and public roads.

On one hand, you have plenty of people that just shouldn't really be driving or don't really want to drive but have to. They just don't have the attention span, spatial awareness, interest or what have you. Driverless "Uber/Lyft" will be a good thing for those folks.

On the other hand you have the those that pay attention and have the skills and prefer the freedom and relative autonomy and will not (and should not) concede to giving that up.

I'm still waiting on my jetpack.

The whole driverless car deal is huge here in Pittsburgh. Uber, Ford, Google, etc. have all set up shop with their autonomous vehicle divisions here. CMU is a big reason as they were/are pioneers in the field.

It's definitely interesting to see it all unfold. Haven't gotten a "driverless" Uber yet but I'm hoping too soon.

canyoncarver said:
On one hand, you have plenty of people that just shouldn't really be driving or don't really want to drive but have to. They just don't have the attention span, spatial awareness, interest or what have you. Driverless "Uber/Lyft" will be a good thing for those folks.

On the other hand you have the those that pay attention and have the skills and prefer the freedom and relative autonomy and will not (and should not) concede to giving that up.

This.

VonYinzer said:
I don't know of anyone developing an autonomous motorcycle.

there are projects like that http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/08/autos/police-superbikes-future-trend/index.html

gonerpete said:
there are projects like that http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/08/autos/police-superbikes-future-trend/index.html

Interesting but developing and deploying are not the same. I'd bet they'll face the same legal challenges as red light cameras.

Back
Top Bottom