2014 Harley Street 750!!

Z

Zookrocker

Damn this is a shocker!!! I'm in love!! could an 1100 be next??

Attachments

• Harley_Davidson_Street_500_750-4.jpg
    Harley_Davidson_Street_500_750-4.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 478
  • HD_750_2__jpg_1642442g.jpg
    HD_750_2__jpg_1642442g.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,895
  • HD_RevolutionX_custom3.jpg
    HD_RevolutionX_custom3.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 2,727
  • street-750.jpg
    street-750.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 658
I had read that this was comin out... had no idea it would look that good! Also glad to know they will be made at the KC Plant for the domestic market. Originally, I thought they were slated to be coming from India.

There was apparently alot of confusion about that HD. All domestic-market-bound bikes will be made in KC, all international-market-bound bikes made in India.
I was blindsided...I picked up a copy of Motorcyclist and there was a brief article about them. This is a pretty major move for Harley. A liquid-cooled bike is nothing new, but I thought the big news for this year was the liquid-cooled heads on the FL models, but it is actually these little buggers. Horsepower ratings arent overly impressive for the Street models, but with some tuning and mods I bet we'll see 75-90 HP out of the 750. I think its super exciting, being an old Harley salt.
Like I read on another forum, these bikes will provide Harley a "safe" transition to liquid cooling on the bigger bikes in the coming years, not that I'm an advocate of liquid-cooling, but from a performance standpoint it is an utter necessity in today's high performance market, which is where I believe Harley is going. These bikes also offer some performance potential as well, as the platform is designed with "urban" performance in mind. I'll always own air-cooled bikes, but it'll be fun to watch Harley knock the Japanese manufacturers down again, this time in their "own" small bike market :)

Attachments

• HD_RevolutionX_custom2-motorcycle_com.jpg
    HD_RevolutionX_custom2-motorcycle_com.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 1,761
  • HD_RevolutionX_custom-motorcycle_com.jpg
    HD_RevolutionX_custom-motorcycle_com.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 2,823
There is a lot of potential with the new Harley Street bikes. They could be a real hit. Aimed squarely at the hipster market. ;)

And, as you know, it should only take a little freer flowing intake and exhaust, and a fuel tuner, to wake these bikes up to respectable and satisfying performance.

I think the Bolt looks cobbled togethe compared to this, or any Harley for that matter. From a distance the Bolt looks like an old Sportster bobber, till you get up close and see how cheap and plastic the knock off is. I guess turn-about is fair play...time for Harley to start copy-catting the japanese they way they've been doing it to them for 30+ years. Maybe next year Yamaha will debut a side-valve!!!

I have yet to see a budget level HD that has a fit and finish worthy of the cost. And I've seen a bunch. The Bolt is entry level so yeah, I'm sure it's not a show bike (haven't haf the chance to see/ride one yet). Hell, that HD is 90% plastic. And that awful radiator contraption up front reminds me of the 80s junk "cruisers". It's all a matter of opinion obviously, and to each their own. When it comes down to it, I'll stick with the Yamaha untiln"the factory" spemds as much money on actual motorcycle development as they do on t-shirt designs.

I'd rather ride a Honda Shadow which that bike resembles. Would like to be there when the first 20-something shows up with one at a Harley rally wearing a flannel shirt, repop glitter helmet, pair of Vans and a leather vest with a Sons of Anarchy patch.

VonYinzer said:
I have yet to see a budget level HD that has a fit and finish worthy of the cost. And I've seen a bunch. The Bolt is entry level so yeah, I'm sure it's not a show bike (haven't haf the chance to see/ride one yet). Hell, that HD is 90% plastic. And that awful radiator contraption up front reminds me of the 80s junk "cruisers". It's all a matter of opinion obviously, and to each their own. When it comes down to it, I'll stick with the Yamaha untiln"the factory" spemds as much money on actual motorcycle development as they do on t-shirt designs.

Agreed on it being a matter of opinion, but you're wrong about the plastic. Bodywork (according to the article I read) is all steel. I do agree that the fit and finish on "entry-level" HDs is not superlative, but to my mind this is the first true entry level bike they have made in many years. The Sporster does not qualify in my opinion, regardless of what HD says.
But really...ya wanna talk plastic? you cant really go there trying to defend modern Japanese bikes......

DrJ said:
I'd rather ride a Honda Shadow which that bike resembles. Would like to be there when the first 20-something shows up with one at a Harley rally wearing a flannel shirt, repop glitter helmet, pair of Vans and a leather vest with a Sons of Anarchy patch.

I'm glad it resembles a shadow...like I say, it's time HD threw some of the copy cat shit back at the japanese. And a squid is a squid, regardless of whether they are on a Harley or a Honda. I've seen plenty of geeks cruising around on cafe bikes trying to look that part too...leather helmets and aviator goggles, knee-high rocker boots and scarves. Excuse me. I need to vomit....

The big Harley's (baggers) are liquid cooled this year. The fit and finish on the bolt, isn't any better than the Sportster, I've rode both. I've never understood the bias against Harley. After forty years of riding them, never had one break. Big and slow, yep, that's why I didn't expect my Cadillac to keep up with my Mustang. Price? have you been to any bike shop recently? They have all risen. A Kawasaki 636 can run $12k+. 1100c.c.'s Isn't that what the Vrod started at?

I think it's great Harley has a new entry level bike. The haters will always hate. I'm glad Harley is providing jobs to Americans, and that the bike sells well. That particular model isn't my cup of tea, but some people don't get why I ride the stuff I do. But I always have at least one Harley in the garage, because my experience with them has always been positive...

ApriliaBill said:
The big Harley's (baggers) are liquid cooled this year.

Not really. Harley refers to them as "twin cooled." They are still primarily air cooled. They just have a little cooling loop around the exhaust port in the head.

There were stories of some of the springing leaks, prompting the nickname, "Showerhead." My personal favorite, however, is "Steaming Eagle." ;D

ApriliaBill said:
The haters will always hate. I'm glad Harley is providing jobs to Americans, and that the bike sells well. That particular model isn't my cup of tea, but some people don't get why I ride the stuff I do. But I always have at least one Harley in the garage, because my experience with them has always been positive...

There are reasons why Harley sells more motorcycles in the US than all over brands combined. That's right, greater than 50% market share for one brand. It's because they build excellent motorcycles. People travel on them, and on the rare occasion that they do have a break down on the road, they have a dealer network like no other maker, and the nearest dealer will have you back on the road, usually the same day or within 24 hours. Have a stator failure on a Yamaha while on a trip, and you will be renting a truck to get your bike home. Your vacation is over. The nearest dealer is not likely to have the part to fix your bike, and may not be able to even get it right away, that is, if they are even willing to put your bike at the head of the service cue to get you back on the road.

Zookrocker said:
There was apparently alot of confusion about that HD. All domestic-market-bound bikes will be made in KC, all international-market-bound bikes made in India.
I was blindsided...I picked up a copy of Motorcyclist and there was a brief article about them. This is a pretty major move for Harley. A liquid-cooled bike is nothing new, but I thought the big news for this year was the liquid-cooled heads on the FL models, but it is actually these little buggers. Horsepower ratings arent overly impressive for the Street models, but with some tuning and mods I bet we'll see 75-90 HP out of the 750. I think its super exciting, being an old Harley salt.
Like I read on another forum, these bikes will provide Harley a "safe" transition to liquid cooling on the bigger bikes in the coming years, not that I'm an advocate of liquid-cooling, but from a performance standpoint it is an utter necessity in today's high performance market, which is where I believe Harley is going. These bikes also offer some performance potential as well, as the platform is designed with "urban" performance in mind. I'll always own air-cooled bikes, but it'll be fun to watch Harley knock the Japanese manufacturers down again, this time in their "own" small bike market :)
When did they knock them down the first time? Sorry man, the fit and finish on the higher end models is good. The paint looks great on most models. But as far as going after the performance market, I don't think Harley is remotely interested. Look how they treated Eric Buell. If they wanted to go fast, they have more than enough capital both monetary, and in their engieering dept. to build a fast bike. But it's cheaper to sell a pretend lifestyle than engineer a vehicle that does something you aren't accustomed to doing. Just my opinion, I could be wrong. I often am, ask the wife. Happy holidays.

I have zero bias against the bikes that HD makes, outside of style and the fact that outside of the past few years they've been shoving 50 year old tech onto the floor. Yeah, a 636 is near 12 grand. It's also a much more complicated and advanced machine than 99% of the HDs out there. Even the ones that cost 2x that.

For the record, again... I like Harleys for what they are. Dinosaurs. I have always enjoyed every one I've ridden. But if you're after anything more than leisurely cruising... It's not really your scene. And sure, HD may have a strong dealer network. They should. They charge enough for their product and service.

At $6700 for the Street 500, I'd seriously consider one. Helluva starting price point.

My biggest issue with HD has just always been about the branding. There's a huge dealership near here and its retail clothing and HD-branded merchandise take up at least 10x the space of the actual motorcycles. That being said, they know their markets and are VERY dialed in to getting those dollars. Stop in on a Saturday and the place is packed with tons of 50+ men who drove up in a mid-range to very expensive car, wife in tow, ready to drop $15-20k plus accessories and have their name announced over the P.A. to all the other boomers in the room.

AlphaDogChoppers said:
Not really. Harley refers to them as "twin cooled." They are still primarily air cooled. They just have a little cooling loop around the exhaust port in the head.

There were stories of some of the springing leaks, prompting the nickname, "Showerhead." My personal favorite, however, is "Steaming Eagle." ;D

There are reasons why Harley sells more motorcycles in the US than all over brands combined. That's right, greater than 50% market share for one brand. It's because they build excellent motorcycles. People travel on them, and on the rare occasion that they do have a break down on the road, they have a dealer network like no other maker, and the nearest dealer will have you back on the road, usually the same day or within 24 hours. Have a stator failure on a Yamaha while on a trip, and you will be renting a truck to get your bike home. Your vacation is over. The nearest dealer is not likely to have the part to fix your bike, and may not be able to even get it right away, that is, if they are even willing to put your bike at the head of the service cue to get you back on the road.

Exactly Alpha, but do you think you can get some of these stalwarts to understand that? Harley had a bad stretch back in the 70s and 80s, no doubt. They did what any enterprising company would do: they invested (their own personal money, BTW, in the case of the company officers) in the company, improved the product, and soldiered on to become the greatest American business success story in modern times. Their motorcycles are very good, excellent quality. They are niche, compared to the motorcycle market as a whole, but they are super practical, uber durable, and very satisfying. Just because they don't build plastic fantastics for 22 year olds who think they need to go 185mph, or for 45 year olds in their MLC, doesnt mean their bikes arent quality or even high-tech in many respects. Think it's easy to design and build a liquid-cooled head that still looks just like the air-cooled piece it replaces and hide all the accompanying hardware so that you'd never know it was there? I dare you.

krafty said:
At $6700 for the Street 500, I'd seriously consider one. Helluva starting price point.

My biggest issue with HD has just always been about the branding. There's a huge dealership near here and its retail clothing and HD-branded merchandise take up at least 10x the space of the actual motorcycles. That being said, they know their markets and are VERY dialed in to getting those dollars. Stop in on a Saturday and the place is packed with tons of 50+ men who drove up in a mid-range to very expensive car, wife in tow, ready to drop $15-20k plus accessories and have their name announced over the P.A. to all the other boomers in the room.

And as a Harley veteran, what you are describing makes my blood boil...I hate that scene. While I've never seen a harley dealership as you describe (10x space for marketing crap...actually our local yamaha/suzuki/kawasaki dealerships are laid out exactly that way), I agree too much emphasis is on that stuff. But, for anyone who knows Harley's history, this is not a new thing. As far back as the teens and 20s Harley Davidson has always offered an extensive line of riding equipment and apparel.

Back
Top Bottom