Harley Recall

LazloH

Been Around the Block
http://abc7chicago.com/business/harley-davidson-recalling-66421-motorcycles/172326/

I know that there is a large rift between Harley fans and non Harley fans.. but all joking aside, I hate to see anyone go down.

hillsy said:
I'm not a HD fan, but they're not alone when it comes to recalls....

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/530/Motorcycles/Motorcycle-Recalls.aspx

ok sure, but side-stands, crank-case leaks, transmission issues pale in significance to the possibility of your front brake locking up at any time... that is a "face-to-pavement" experience that get's much much worse at +40mph....also it 50/50 if they lock-up or just fail without notice.... saving grace is the cam-chain shoes will probably disintegrate and explode the engine killing you before you need functional brakes...

Ribo said:
ok sure, but side-stands, crank-case leaks, transmission issues pale in significance to the possibility of your front brake locking up at any time... that is a "face-to-pavement" experience that get's much much worse at +40mph....also it 50/50 if they lock-up or just fail without notice.... saving grace is the cam-chain shoes will probably disintegrate and explode the engine killing you before you need functional brakes...

Did you see the Suzuki one where they were recalling up to 200,000 GSXRs due to front brake issues that could make them fade / fail?

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/599/17276/Motorcycle-Article/Suzuki-Recalls-More-Than-200-000-GSX-Rs.aspx

Like I said - HD aren't alone with this stuff.

harley riders are the ones known for saying "dont touch that front brake it'll toss you over the bars" ;D apparently its so troo

hillsy said:
Did you see the Suzuki one where they were recalling up to 200,000 GSXRs due to front brake issues that could make them fade / fail?

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/599/17276/Motorcycle-Article/Suzuki-Recalls-More-Than-200-000-GSX-Rs.aspx

Like I said - HD aren't alone with this stuff.

I agree - all manufacturers have issues from time to time - it's normal - but serious as it is ths GSR issue is due to bikes being left without proper maintenance - i.e. changing brake fluid and the result 99% of the time is for brakes to just soften due to gas in the line...not random immediate loss of front brake or front wheel lock-up... these are two very different situations. In one I have to squeeze the lever a bit harder - in the other I have to have my food squeezed into my mouth for 6 months.

xb33bsa said:
harley riders are the ones known for saying "dont touch that front brake it'll toss you over the bars" ;D apparently its so troo

haha.. old Apache saying "iron horse still going to buck!"

Ribo you've got some serious harley hate going on.

There are recalls every year by every brand. No designer is perfect.
And harley's are dead nuts reliable, like them or not.

You'd think with a pinched brake line, there would be some symptoms, like the brake dragging and not releasing. Well, only a RUB would ignore something like that. If my brakes were hanging up, I'd check it out ASAP.
Soon, a flat tire will be grounds for a recall.

SONIC. said:
Ribo you've got some serious harley hate going on.

Hehe... I do that's true, I just don't like them.. mostly it's baseless but when there's an issue i can use to troll about them I can't help myself - I have a problem I know, but I'm English and we're all a bunch as judgmental gits generally. I think it's just that Harley pisses me off cos they still try and promote this "bad-boy" image. Having a Harley now is like a car driver owning a Camry. Boring generic nonsense that is pretty far removed from what Harley like to pretend to be about still. I call bullshit Harley, just bring out the "family" bike with room for golf clubs in the trunk and be done with it. I mean, they sell sausages for F-sake...

Ribo said:
Having a Harley now is like a car driver owning a Camry. Boring generic nonsense that is pretty far removed from what Harley like to pretend to be about still.

Almost anything on two wheels is better than four.

People who wanna play weekend warrior baddass tend to choose a big Harley but alot of people also choose jap and brit bikes to get their cool on.

HD is just a company that is in business to make a profit. They just sell what people want to buy and bazillions of folks love them. True, they might make just as much off marketing the other shit as they do the bikes but big friggin deal. I can't disagree that some of the riders are real douchebags but I've met those guys on other kinds of bikes too.

I never liked them much as a younger guy but once I rode a few I changed my mind. Perfect, no. Fun, hell yes. Try and appreciate Harley's for what they are and unwad your panties about what they're not.

carnivorous chicken said:
You know, 95% of all Harley's sold since 1990 are still on the road.

I'm not calling bullshit on you, but I'm calling bullshit on this potential internet myth. I'd like to see a citation on this one day.

SONIC. said:

According to Consumer Reports, only BMW has a worse reliability record. Yamaha comes out on top.

cosworth said:
I'm not calling bullshit on you, but I'm calling bullshit on this potential internet myth. I'd like to see a citation on this one day.

Simmer down, it's a joke. It would be impossible to calculate.

cosworth said:
According to Consumer Reports, only BMW has a worse reliability record. Yamaha comes out on top.

I've seen the report but consumer reports is notorious for utter bullshit.
Also it doesn't take into account actual failures just visits to the shop.

I honestly don't care though, I don't like Harley's either, but I see no sense in hating on them. There's nothing wrong with the bikes IMO, the riders and the "lifestyle" always give me a chuckle.

i don't feel so bad for the harley rider..... more and more states are making it legal for them to marry each other

Back
Top Bottom