Hot Weather Riding

SONIC. said:
Yeah with the humidity it's tough.
There comes a point for me where it's just too hot and I'm willing to take the risk in order to enjoy my riding. There's no point in being on a motorcycle if it's miserable, might as well just get in the car and turn the AC on.

Unless your car is mine and has no AC LOL

My cousin had a '67 Camaro back in the day, loved to tell me about his "dual 70 A/C's"

You know, where you roll the windows down and drive 70 everywhere! Turns out my '55 Ford has the same A/C in it, who'da thunk Ford and Chebby would be using the same components...

Besides being hot you can run into more serious problems when there's a heat wave in places that aren't used to it. I remember one year in London, I think it was 2003 when it hit 100 degrees. The tarmac on some of the roads actually started melting which wasn't too much of a problem for cars but riding a bike was crazy, you'd plow a 1 inch furrow in the road. The white paint too was sticky and traffic lights were dropping like flies.

stroker crazy said:
I'm with you on this!

Crazy
Yes, you definitely get less adaptable to temps as you get older.
I think folks in the central plain states have it the worst. -20+ and huge wind chills in the winter and triple digits and humidity in the summer both. :eek:

Geared-up and watered-down is the key in the heat, save your hydration on the inside. And don't forget to drink a sports-drink every two or three bottles of water to keep your electrolytes in balance.
When it's HAWT, I limit my rides to early morning and late evening.....when the deer are the most active. ;)

4eyes said:
When it's HAWT, I limit my rides to early morning and late evening.....when the deer are the most active. ;)

I did the same thing this morning, left for work a bit early and took a nice ride out to Cape Spear. Temps were really nice and then hit some nice cool and refreshing fog right out by the cape. Was a nice feeling to actually feel comfortable riding again.

Attachments

• capeSpear_1.jpg
    capeSpear_1.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 168
  • capeSpear_2.jpg
    capeSpear_2.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 151
I ride a bicycle too, so motorcycle rides feel nice and cool even when it get up to 30 and warmer. I do wear a mesh jacket on warm days though.

did a track day in full leathers while the temps were 110+. needless to say, the water from the ice chest got dumped into my helmet and suit between sessions.

really though a perforated jacket in the summer makes things nice as long as your moving. a textile jacket helps as well.

I rock a mesh jacket and mesh pants. I use olympia recon 3 pants in the summer with nothing but boxers underneath. The legs zip off and they convert to shorts for walking in. It's Alabama, we get creative in the heat. Cool cloth neck rolls are a must. Soak them in cold water and wrap like an ascot. Stays wet and cool for hours. The science is that it cools the blood in your carotid artery. 2nd largest in the body next to the femoral in your groin. Does wonders. I'm a paramedic and in heat stroke scenarios we put ice on the neck and the groin to cool the blood. Try it you'll be surprised how well it works. Like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004XX4X9E/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

I also put two ice packs in the lower pockets on my jacket. The proximity to the groin does help and your above post makes sense of it. Just my only pockets lol

I use ice packs as well, my Grand Daughter made this vest up to hold them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 191
I have a grey perforated leather jacket and the air really passes through it when you
take the liner out. On hot days when riding I hardly ever feel hot. I think that it is grey and not black also helps. I never let my guard down and always wear a jacket/helmet/gloves/pants. Sometimes I'm warm, but I've also been on the ground, I'd rather be warm.

Back
Top Bottom